Automation edit suggestion

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Shay
Expert

Automation edit suggestion

Post by Shay » Wed May 29, 2013 3:26 am

Hi Rim,

While working with automation my finger always hides the small handle and make it difficult to position, even in full zoom, which has no affect on the handle size.

One fantastic solution I saw in NanoStudio is external handles.
One for moving up/down and one for moving right/left.

They are away from the actual automation handle (vertical on right side and horizontal on bottom).
Working with them makes the handle fully visible to the eye.
A click can select the handle and then each handle will move it to the required direction.

Thanks,
Shay

mtingle
Expert

Re: Automation edit suggestion

Post by mtingle » Wed May 29, 2013 4:19 am

The only thing with this is it introduces a new control paradigm into Auria. I personally really like the 'direct' touch aspect to Auria and Rim has gone a long way to making it work.

The issue with not being able to actually see the automation point you are moving is a real one that I've encountered many times, you kind of have to guess where it is as the finger is too big (I have normal size finger IMO) and covers it up.

A solution that keeps the 'direct touch' paradigm of Auria could be: if your moving an automation point with a single finger and then simultaneously touch the screen else where and release the initial finger the 2nd finger then controls the automation control point as if it was the 1st. This is similar to the principle in Auria with faders where if you start to move a fader in the mix window you are allowed to let it drift left or right and as long as your still touching the screen it continues to move the fader but without you big finger in the way!

Something like this could work.

Shay
Expert

Post by Shay » Wed May 29, 2013 4:42 am

Hi @mtingle,

It doesn't change the paradigm completely.
Zoom has double access. Via pinch or via dedicated zoom-control.

Why not let automation, which is one of the most delicate and important part of Auria access from more then one direction?
The first method will be as today, while the second one is via a button, slider etc, for fine tuning.

The FabFilter knobs are also a great idea for this kind of work.
One knob to move horizontally and one for vertically.
That way you make sure you control only one direction at a time instead of trying to fix one after messing it when applying the other direction adjustment.
You have to admit that the last one is frustrating after a couple of seconds :) .

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Wed May 29, 2013 5:21 am

I still think the Nanostudio method is not right for Auria. I personally find the nano 'joystick" method cumbersome very quickly. Feels like editing by remote control. Though I do appreciate others may get along fine with this.

Another solution may be to have the finger movement not be in a fixed ratio of movement to the control point. That way you move the finger a long-ish amount to have the control point move a small-ish amount so your finger quite quickly moves out of the way and you can see what is happening to the control point underneath.

{edit: though to fine tune a control point this method would not work too well as you'd only want to move a point a small way}

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed May 29, 2013 6:34 am

As a compromise, I could leave it as is, but if you add a second finger, it goes into a "fine tune mode", like mtingle suggested, where large movements cause small changes.

Rim

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Wed May 29, 2013 7:18 am

Rim wrote:As a compromise, I could leave it as is, but if you add a second finger, it goes into a "fine tune mode", like mtingle suggested, where large movements cause small changes.

Rim
As long as it allows for fine tuning with your finger out the way that would be fine.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed May 29, 2013 10:06 am

Yep, that's the plan.

Rim