Pro Q - Analyzer Pre+SideChain

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Shay
Expert

Pro Q - Analyzer Pre+SideChain

Post by Shay » Tue May 28, 2013 3:44 am

Hi Everyone,

I opened a feature request question in FabFilter forum regards showing "Pre" and "SideChain" tracks together in the ProQ analyzer window, so we'll be able to view and fix two tracks having frequency collision.

PC/MAC don't have this issue since they probably can open several windows at once, but it will be nice for them too.

If it's relevant to you please add comment in this entry: http://www.fabfilter.com/forum/1806/pro ... 0#comment0

Best regards,
Shay

Phil999
Expert

Re: Pro Q - Analyzer Pre+SideChain

Post by Phil999 » Tue May 28, 2013 3:31 pm

maybe I'm wrong, out-dated. But I find the idea behind it does not really serve the engineer. I'm not saying we shouldn't use analysers, but in the end we should always be able to judge such things by ear. If we rely too much on modern tools like this, we might lose focus and forget the essential tool, our hearing ability.

If there are conflicting frequencies, it should be an instinctive reaction to the producer to lower them in the track that is too prominent - blindly, without even knowing or seeing the respective frequencies. Lower the gain, and sweep through the frequencies, until there are no more problems. Do that with several tracks at the same time, using both hands, or even an assistant. If you have a console in front of you of course. Now, with virtual consoles, it's one or two steps more until you can reach the knobs, but I think the procedure is still the same.

I admit, it is way more difficult "in the box" than in Hardware. Abstraction level 2 or 3.

Shay
Expert

Post by Shay » Tue May 28, 2013 3:53 pm

Hi @Phil999,
Thanks for your comment.

Not all Auria users are professional engineers.
I can talk about my self as being a music composer who want to work with the sound and have a better sound result for each of my songs.
I'm new to most of the terminology, and still don't have the ability to distinguish by ear.
When I work on two synths which have similar sound and want to find the overlapping frequencies (forgive me if I misuse the terms) I prefer to do it visually.
Some sounds are complex as a union of several sub sounds which means there is no range of overlapping frequencies but several ranges.

One can work by ear,while the other can choose to work by vision.
It's nice to have choices.
I don't see many people complaining about Fabfilter ArtWork plugins :D

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Tue May 28, 2013 4:37 pm

There's a new plugin reviewed in sound-on-sound this month that takes 2 instruments and crafts an eq curve to help define them both. The reviewer says the complexity of the curve that the computer created was quite a thing and unlike anything a person would do.

Not that I'm a fan over super separated instruments in a mix, but I appreciate its not easy to do. Visuals would help IMO.

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Wed May 29, 2013 2:14 am

let me just say this: everybody with proper hearing can distinguish different frequencies. Otherwise we wouldn't be able to understand spoken language, distinguish between different voices, etc.

I understand the situation with two synths 'overlapping', both filling the entire sound spectrum. But in such a situation, one should seriously ask oneself if there really need to be two synths.

Another approach is to mix down each synth to mono. A good thing to do in a complex mix anyway. Or to separate many synths with panning, maybe even hard left/hard right.

Although I agree on that we are free to choose our personal way to do a mix. But I think one should consider the above points, while taking advantage of the very good Pro-Q and its analyser.