Is there any interface working well with Auria?

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

ekimtoor1@gmail.com

Is there any interface working well with Auria?

Post by ekimtoor1@gmail.com » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:39 am

The interface list for Auria contains discontinued, unsupported, buggy, less than 8 inputs or too damn expensive selections.

I’ve worked through the Behringer UMC1820 and the Presonus 1818VSL and I’m exhausted.

The UMC1820 doesn’t work with Auria. The most glaring defect was unable to route outputs. I could get audio in, but it wouldn’t go out anywhere. It could be user error, but I tested the thing in every way I could think of but no go. Disappointing because it’s a lot of interface for the money.

The Presonus got tossed because i realized it is discontinued and unsupported. I don’t want to start my project with a binned interface.

What interface is anyone using that is a solid performer with Auria?
Last edited by ekimtoor1@gmail.com on Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

ekimtoor1@gmail.com

Re: Is there any interface working well with Auria?

Post by ekimtoor1@gmail.com » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:22 am

I guess everyone has a perfectly working interface. Wish I knew what they are.

Next up is a Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 Gen2, which has been substantially discounted since the Gen3 came out. Other than even better audio technicals, Gen3 is not much different from Gen2. Software and drivers are the same. Class compliant USB. I love the quality at the low price of $350. This device was originally off the menu because of price but I can swing it discounted.

Should be a good one. It’s on the list so I have expectations.

ekimtoor1@gmail.com

Post by ekimtoor1@gmail.com » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:25 pm

The Focusrite is out. It has no DSP, not even basic EQ or dynamics. That means all the effects would have to be done in software which would introduce latency. Low latency is important to me. The only way around this problem would be to build an expensive and complicated arrangement of outboard hardware. Not gonna do that. Not when a couple other choices are available that do have onboard processing with very low latency.

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:07 pm

ekimtoor1@gmail.com wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:25 pm
The Focusrite is out. It has no DSP, not even basic EQ or dynamics. That means all the effects would have to be done in software which would introduce latency. Low latency is important to me. The only way around this problem would be to build an expensive and complicated arrangement of outboard hardware. Not gonna do that. Not when a couple other choices are available that do have onboard processing with very low latency.
I don't think any interface with built-in DSP is going to let you access the DSP functions from an iOS device. On iOS, you are just using the interface for input/output.

ekimtoor1@gmail.com

Post by ekimtoor1@gmail.com » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:10 pm

I’m sure that is correct, but I have other uses for this project besides Auria like rehearsing a band with Auria capturing naked tracks. In fact, although I’m smitten with Auria, I actually don’t do much production. But I might. It’s like, if there is a device choice that does have hardware effects, and there are several, why not choose those if they work with Auria.
Last edited by ekimtoor1@gmail.com on Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ekimtoor1@gmail.com

Post by ekimtoor1@gmail.com » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:01 pm

The XR18 has most things I want at $699. That’s still about twice what I wanted to pay. All the other devices except one is a compromise. Since the X18 is on the list, it seems logical that the other Behringers would also work with Auria.

The other choice that floated to the top is the Soundcraft Ui24. I liked the Ui16 a lot, but it doesn’t have a USB DAW interface. However, after going through the Soundcraft web site, I read that the Ui24 not only has the interface, it has 22 multi-track recording and playback directly to a USB drive, all controlled by the same app used to mix. That is an extremely appealing feature to me. I’d rather not have the DAW at the rehearsal or gig. Having managed a DAW on stage, it sucks. How cool to just shove a giant USB drive into the mixer, hit record and forget about it. Then, take the drive back to my comfortable office and mix it there. But the Ui24 is expensive. On the other hand I don’t like to compromise.

I realize I have swung to the live sound side of things and a lot of this won’t be meaningful to studio production. But I had a hard time finding this information here, so I leave my work just in case it helps someone.
Attachments
9DC197C7-38ED-4C90-9D38-6A4666F49D38.jpeg
Last edited by ekimtoor1@gmail.com on Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:47 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:51 pm

Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:01 pm
F4A749ED-393F-4D98-841A-ABBC6C7C6BF1.jpeg

The only one that works for me is the XR18. Everything else is a compromise. Since the X18 is on the list, it seems logical that the other Behringers would also work with Auria.

The Soundcraft was actually my favorite. It’s interface is super logical and intuitive. But it has no USB and can’t connect to a computer. That is a dumb omission. Some pretty harsh comments about crappy WiFi, noisy preamps and poor build quality. Oh well.

I think my search is about over.
Keep in mind that class compliant does not mean that all the features are available through the class-compliant drivers. Be sure to research which features are available to it from iOS hosts.

ekimtoor1@gmail.com

Post by ekimtoor1@gmail.com » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:18 pm

Thanks for that. Good to know. I’ll be looking for that data.

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:34 pm

Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:18 pm
Check over on the Audiobus forum. I just checked. There are some reports. Some like it quite a bit. You will probably get some replies from people using them if you ask over there.

ekimtoor1@gmail.com

Post by ekimtoor1@gmail.com » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:11 pm

I’d be surprised if this isn’t already here somewhere, but here’s Behringer promoting Auria on the XR18:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=iGQASoHKZX0&feature=share

Still reading but it appears that the only features available through the USB to a DAW are 18 inputs and 8 outputs. That’s all I want.

ekimtoor1@gmail.com

Post by ekimtoor1@gmail.com » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:15 pm

Espiegel123 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:34 pm
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:18 pm
Check over on the Audiobus forum. I just checked. There are some reports. Some like it quite a bit. You will probably get some replies from people using them if you ask over there.
Thank you. I have been over there a few times.

mesniu
Expert

Post by mesniu » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:42 am

When my band records, I use a Behringer FCA1616 + ADA8200 (w/optical cable connecting them) to record 11 tracks direct into Auria.

ekimtoor1@gmail.com

Post by ekimtoor1@gmail.com » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:54 am

Does Auria route inputs to outputs without issue? That’s the problem I had with the UMC.

mesniu
Expert

Post by mesniu » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:33 pm

I mean, I have to map them with the input/output matrices, but it works for me, sure.