ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

sch
Expert

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

Post by sch » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:24 pm

If you can't eliminate it at the source, then try to use an EQ like Pro-Q to notch it out with a very narrow Q notch filter.

syrupcore
Expert

Post by syrupcore » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:00 pm

definitely try to address the 60hz stuff at the source.

If you can't (or you're trying to save a great take) do the notch thing. You may also need to attenuate frequencies above it at 120, 240, 480... Depending on the type of guitar part, you may be able to just roll everything off under 120hz for that section with an aggressive high-pass filter.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:17 pm

Following on from your advice, I want to ask your opinion: I have been using Auria Mixdown to 32 bit / 44.1 for electronic mixes- (Samplr mastered in Auria). I definitely notice a difference in audio quality compared to 16 bit. I'm wondering about 24 bit compared to 32... Rim said higher res means higher quality. Even for my first task of a Soundcloud upload then auto convert to 128k! If I can put up with long upload times am I right to stick with 32 bit?
One other question: I do the Low Cut M = 40Hz Low Cut S 90Hz. But I still have a lot of visible low end bass rumble in Pro Q. I only have Beyer DT990s to monitor with. So, I can't really say if the Pro Q display is anything to worry about when it's not audible. Or my other experiment has been to throw in a wide notch filter setting to further reduce bass on the display around 20Hz. Not ideal, as I thought 48DB Low cuts should do it. But, my tracks have been recorded with excessive bass in Samplr (lack of real eq in app!) Any suggestions welcome. Although when I look at 'The Approach' demo track, I see that it has loads of bass activity in Pro Q below20 Hz. Perhaps I'm worrying too much about what I see on the display and not enough about the sound: I can't hear much below 50 Hz in the demo! Thanks.
Sorry for the delayed response. Yes all that energy you see at the 20 HZ is not much to worry about. As long as you have taken care of the low end there shouldnt be too much low frequency rumble on other listening devices. Headphones tend to hype the bass, mids and side effects so that everything tends to sound there and so much of it where a studio monitor is more honest in what you here. I say when mixing with headphones and assessing bass always turn it down a bit so that in your headphones the bass sounds a bit low in volume. this usually translates into a better bottom end mix on speakers. Again try your mix on as many devices and speakers as you have around. It's sometimes a hit and miss even with proper studio speakers as everything from the room and your condition of your ears play a role in mixing audio for the masses. cheers and hope this helps. So bottom line is don't worry about the ProQ low metering view as that is normal to see even after you have done your adjustments. Dont forget to hit the sizers to split the band into mid side then touch the small blue ball on the spit to get the side channel active.

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:58 am

A rather simple question. I would like to pitch samples seamlessly to various degrees. Much like the glide effect that most synths have. I know it could be done with Retune per automation, but it just isn't really suited for anything but vocals, imo.

I have a real time pitch bender in Samplr, but it's more for finetuning.

Any ideas for such a rather simple task?

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:01 am

Anyone?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:19 am

Auria doesn't have a pitch processing function yet, but it's high on my list for a future update.

Rim

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:54 am

Rim wrote:Auria doesn't have a pitch processing function yet, but it's high on my list for a future update.

Rim
Could it be in any way automatable? But then again it wouldn't make much sense to create a new effect plug-in just for simple pitch processing. Maybe i'll have to wait for the sampler then.

But my question was a little broader actually, as i know that i can't do it with Auria right now. How could i actually do it on the iPad? Any app that could help me here, except for Cubasis? :D

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:58 pm

Hi Geronimo, you can do this easily in of all apps Garageband for iPad. Simply choose the sampler as the instrument and choose your sample, you can record your samples through your audio interface for high quality. Then once the sample has been recorded use the setting PITCH, glide your finger across the piani keyboard and your glide effect is there with your own samples and you can record this glide onto a track as midi data. Cheers and hope this helps. ~~_/)~~~

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:16 pm

Anthony Alves wrote:Hi Geronimo, you can do this easily in of all apps Garageband for iPad. Simply choose the sampler as the instrument and choose your sample, you can record your samples through your audio interface for high quality. Then once the sample has been recorded use the setting PITCH, glide your finger across the piani keyboard and your glide effect is there with your own samples and you can record this glide onto a track as midi data. Cheers and hope this helps. ~~_/)~~~
Cool, thank you a lot. Never looked deeper into Garageband, except for their string section, which is just excellent. Shame you can't select it as an input source in Audiobus, but the import into Auria is rather simple anyway.

I still would love to have an automatable, seamless pitch shift feature in Auria, because it's an interesting element for sound design. But it certainly isn't incredibly important. When it comes, it comes :)

hotlipslawson
Expert

Post by hotlipslawson » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:33 pm

Can anyone tell me if I can record the metronome in Auria to create a click track? I need to actually see the click track, not just hear it.

pitzipado
Expert

Post by pitzipado » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:14 pm

hotlipslawson wrote:Can anyone tell me if I can record the metronome in Auria to create a click track? I need to actually see the click track, not just hear it.
Go to the input matrix click on l or r for the track you want metronome to appear then
arm the track and it will record some very metronomic looking wave forms
best jp

hotlipslawson
Expert

Post by hotlipslawson » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:29 pm

What happened to metronome controls?? It's not in "settings" anymore and I can't find it anywhere else. (???)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:44 pm

It's been moved to the editor page, so it's much easier to access. In the editor, you see a box with the tempo and time signature (in the upper left). Just double tap on that box.

Rim

Hendraputra

Post by Hendraputra » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:39 am

What is the name for auria tool that has same function as garageband "song section" so i can duplicate or add "section" as i want, in auria.

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:05 am

Hendraputra wrote:What is the name for auria tool that has same function as garageband "song section" so i can duplicate or add "section" as i want, in auria.
Auria does not have the "section" function you speak of, but it is very easy to select an entire section and manipulate it and move it as a group.
Instructions for doing this start at page 51 in the manual.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)