Plug-ins being disabled on freeze

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Blueox
Expert

Plug-ins being disabled on freeze

Post by Blueox » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:06 am

I'm getting a lot of problems with tracks having some/all of the plug-ins switched off when frozen (or at some point afterwards) meaning I have to unfreeze, switch on again, and then refreeze. I have a similar problem with the master channel plug in (Fab Filt Pro-C) being switched off at some point (maybe when reloading the project) and it also loosing it's settings.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Colin

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Plug-ins being disabled on freeze

Post by Rim » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:47 am

Are you using IAAs in your frozen tracks?

Rim

Blueox
Expert

Post by Blueox » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:44 am

IIAs?

I'm using classic verb, convolution verb and some fa filter plugins - not all at the same time!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:27 am

I mean Inter App Audio plugins (the ones that show up in blue in the plugin list).

If you're not using any IAAs, then please send me the project with the problem. I'd like to look at it here to see if there's a bug to be discovered.

Send it to my dropbox: rim at drumagog dot com

Thanks,
Rim

ArmArnA
Expert

Post by ArmArnA » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:12 am

Hi Rim,

I experienced the exact problem today. Had activated Re-tune, Pro-Q, De-esser and Microwarmer in the effect slot and when I froze the effects they all got unactivated. Tried it several times. In its frozen but no-effects-activated state the recorded stuff on the channel where dead silent??? When unfrozen the audio on the channel came back.

Realy intrested in hearing what you find out

/ArmArnA
"Jazz is not dead it just smells funny"

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:03 am

Plugins are supposed to get deactivated when you freeze - that's the idea. This way, it frees up CPU and memory resources. I'm not sure I understand the issue. Once you freeze a track, you can't record onto it either. You need to unfreeze to be able to do anything on that track.

Thanks,
Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:55 am

@Rim: I think @ArmArnA was saying that his frozen track was silent during playback and was only audible when unfrozen.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:04 am

OK, if that's the case, could you please send me the project? I would like to test this here and see if there's a bug that needs to be fixed.

Please send to my dropbox: rim at drumagog dot com.

Thanks,
Rim

ArmArnA
Expert

Post by ArmArnA » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:44 am

Hi,

I rebooted my Ipad and now it works fine. But the problem where there!! I know perfectly well what happens when and why you freeze a channel, but this time the yellow in buttons next to the channel strip effect slot turned grey when I froze the channel AND in this state the audio on the channel got silent. Perhaps I should'nt rebooted and instead sent you the file. Sorry, Rim!

/ArmArnA

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:48 am

OK, thanks. If it happens again, and is repeatable, please let me know and I'll investigate.

Rim

ArmArnA
Expert

Post by ArmArnA » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:45 am

Hi, Rim

The bug just happend again and I managed to figure out why, thou its weird. I had a area blue marked and running it on a loop and when I froze the channel in this mode, the curser where within the blue marked area, the above mentioned problem accured. When I unfroze the channel, cleared the blue marked area and disabled the loop the freeze function worked as usuall. Hope this helps

/ArmArnA

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:22 am

That's interesting. I'll try this and see if I can duplicate it here.

Thanks,
Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:29 am

ArmArnA, I couldn't duplicate this issue here. This is what I did:

1. Create a new project
2. Record some audio
3. Define a locator range in the middle of the audio
4. Enable loop mode
5. Press play
6. While it's playing, wait for the cursor to enter the blue area
7. Freeze the track

What happens here is normal: the transport stops, and the track is frozen. If I press play at this point, I hear audio.

Did you by chance have Auto Punch mode turned on (in the transport options)?

Can you try the same test again on a new project? Does it matter whether you have any plugins on that track?

I appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Rim

Rim

Qwerty

Post by Qwerty » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:54 am

I have been having this problem too although it happens on lots of tracks at different times and can be difficult to locate other than seeing the difference in volume on the faders. I have to unfreeze literally all of my tracks and then refreeze them to get the psp channel strip to work. I am running eq, compression and the expander on all I my drum tracks and just some eq and compression on guitars and vocals. 12 tracks in total. Any help will be appreciated.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:19 am

As with all rare bugs, it's important for me to see this happen in a project, so I can identify the cause and fix it. So if anyone has a project that can demonstrate this every time, please send it to me at my Dropbox: rim at drumagog dot com

Thanks,
Rim