Tracks Disappearing After Multiple Region Joins

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

indratgj
Expert

Tracks Disappearing After Multiple Region Joins

Post by indratgj » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:12 am

I was working on a project for which I had to manually build a snare drum part. I did this by dropping in copies of various snare drum hits into the appropriate places on the timeline. I had MANY of these. After I got it sounding the way I way I wanted, I decided to neaten up the track by joining all of these regions into one big snare drum region/track. At some point in the process of repeated joins, the snare drum waveforms prior to where I was currently joining things began to disappear.

I did a couple of restores from snapshots, but the problem kept recurring. Ultimately, I restored from a version that still had multiple regions of snare with none of them joined. The problem went away. Sounds fine, it just doesn’t look very pretty.

Has anyone else encountered this with a lot of editing and multiple joined regions?

Thanks
iPad Pro 12.9” Gen 5, iOS v.15,5, Auria Pro, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Presonus HP6, DrumPerfect Pro

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Tracks Disappearing After Multiple Region Joins

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:55 am

The answer is yes many times after heavy editing. As you know iOS has priority over the iPads memory. When your placing those snare hits on the screen all that is happening in the background code is marker points telling the drive to read that audio file at that given point on the timeline. When you bounce in place after heavy editing ie. more than just a few moves, if the iPad is low on memory you will have a wide array of things that can go wrong during the bounce in place. (the code) Now bounce in place or Join is a shortcut to the older method that still exists called Mixdown with import as a new track option selected. That’s newer than the original way which is to mixdown the track by soloing the track, mixdown to mono or stereo then using the import audio function you would load the mixdown track back into the project by selecting the track file from the files page. This original method is still the one that gets used all the other methods are shortcuts to this original function. That’s why it’s still there for if it where to be removed all shortcuts would cease to exist. As a result of this new shortcut /coding there has been many issues over the years. I have always got around this by using only the original method and I have had 100% success. My recommendation is to never work on your editing without saving after just a small amount of editing ie. 3-4 moves. Never use bounce in place as it’s destructive should something go wrong use the original method. Cheers and good luck.

indratgj
Expert

Re: Tracks Disappearing After Multiple Region Joins

Post by indratgj » Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:32 pm

Thanks Anthony! Very helpful.
iPad Pro 12.9” Gen 5, iOS v.15,5, Auria Pro, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Presonus HP6, DrumPerfect Pro