AUX issue

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Ralf
Expert

AUX issue

Post by Ralf » Tue May 14, 2019 1:25 am

Hi,

analog mixing consoles usually allow to route AUX channels to subgroubs. Unless I'm mistaken, the AUX returns of Auria Pro seem not to provide this option.

I don't need it for an individual monitoring mix, but to ensure that different parts of a song are completely mixed by a subgroup, not by the master.

An example:

Imagine you have a few tracks that need a different AUX reverb and stereo sum compression that includes/affects the individual AUX reverb, too, than several other tracks need. You can't achieve this with a single master, you need two subgroups where each subgroup quasi is a master on its own. It's just an easy to understand example, not necessarily what I need at the moment.

To rule out issues by a complex project, I made a new, very simple test project.

One track with a wav file, out routed to subgroup 1, AUX 1 send is used.
A second track, input is AUX 1, out is also routed to subgroup 1.
Auria's Delay or Convolution reverb is added to the track that does use the output of AUX 1 as it's input.

This workaround should do the job, but it doesn't. The sound is crackled. Better use the delay for testing, because the issue is more audible, than when using a diffuse reverb.

All inputs and outputs are lower than 0 dbFS, max CPU 25%, max Disk 0%.
64-bit mixer "yes", but it doesn't change, if it's set to "no".

It's a 44.1 KHz project on an iPadPro, at the moment not connected to the studio's audio interface that provides different sample rates, so the 44.1 KHz project at the moment actually is played at 48 KHz. I tried with different buffer sizes to no avail.

Btw. is there a way to migrate a 44.1 KHz project (at the moment still MIDI tracks only, it's not the test project with an audio file) to 48 KHz?

Regards,
Ralf

Rodolfo
Expert

Re: AUX issue

Post by Rodolfo » Tue May 14, 2019 9:39 pm

Hi,
i tested the exact setup you mention on my iPad Pro (1st gen) not connected to any audio interface, but I can’t reproduce any crackle as you mention. Actually, I almost never use the AUX on the master bus, I usually load my effects on single tracks and use Aux 1, 2 etc as inputs (the old school method), same thing as you did, and never found any issue with this.

I guess it could be something related to you iPad model, since as far as I understand there are some audio issues with the new iPad Pro models at 48KHz, but it’s only a guess. There are numerous reports of similar issues on the Audiobus forum, iPad Musician Facebook group, and some other sites.

Maybe some other members on this forum can provide some more info on the subject.

Have you checked this setup with an audio interface?

Rodolfo
Last edited by Rodolfo on Wed May 15, 2019 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ralf
Expert

Post by Ralf » Wed May 15, 2019 5:17 am

Hi Rodolfo,

thank you. No, I still have to do a test with an audio interface connected. There was an iOS update available after I've done the test. Perhaps I've got better luck with iOS 12.3.

Regards,
Ralf

Ralf
Expert

Post by Ralf » Thu May 23, 2019 2:41 am

Update:

Same issue with iOS 12.3. To ensure that it's not related to overstrained build-in speakers, I listened at a very silent level.

Connected to a Scarlett 18i20 the issue disappears.