Audio bus

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Whispering Smith

Audio bus

Post by Whispering Smith » Wed May 08, 2019 7:40 am

Hi,ive been trying to record certain synths that dont show up in the instrument iaa list namely thor and bebot. Can you please tell me firstly, why they dont show up in the midi instrument iaa list as they both have iaa capabilities and both show up in the iaa insert list. Also is there a work around where i could record direct audio from either of these apps into auria pro? I have tried routing them with audio bus version 1 and it sets up an audiobus track when auria launches but im not getting any sound.... im really confused and would appriciate any input. All i want to do is record from both of these apps into auria... why is it so difficult? Thanks

Rodolfo
Expert

Re: Audio bus

Post by Rodolfo » Wed May 08, 2019 11:30 am

Hi, let me first try to explain how IAA works.
IAA allows to route audio, MIDI and effects between the host and compatible node apps. There are three types of nodes:

-Instruments: can be assigned to MIDI tracks, receive MIDI signals and produce audio signals
-Generators: can produce audio signals and are inputs for audio tracks
-Effects: can receive, transform and send back audio signals

It depends on the app developer what type of nodes are available for the app. Those IAA apps that are not listed as Instruments in a MiDI track are actually IAA Generators and can be only assigned to an audio track. They can’t receive MIDI via IAA but via CoreMiDI only.

So, the reason Thor will not show up in the Instrument list is because it’s not an IAA Instrument, but an IAA generator.

In order to use Thor in Auria Pro, you need to create both, an audio track and a MiDI track. Then load Thor in the insert slot of the audio track (you’ll probably need to launch Thor first, otherwise it can fail to load as many old IAA apps). Then, in your MIDI track set the output to “CoreMIDI Thor”. In Thor, make sure you enable MIDI In and select Auria Pro as the source.
(Please see attached pictures for detailed setup)

You don’t need Audiobus for this setup, but you can use it if you prefer.

Hope this helps.

Rodolfo
Attachments
031FEB52-D78E-4CBA-8D63-4EC3BC4656B4.png
A7B66010-1D44-40E4-B9BE-BC427E2FBD6D.png
5494A1FF-849F-4088-B85E-8AA51C5A3A04.png

Whispering Smith

Post by Whispering Smith » Fri May 10, 2019 4:07 pm

Hey thank you very much, i will certainly try that, it makes sense now. Many thanks again

Whispering Smith

Post by Whispering Smith » Fri May 10, 2019 4:29 pm

Hi, so i tried this out. Heres what happened. It recorded midi notes on the midi track, nothing on the audio track. When i play it back it plays the sounds, but when i press stop the sound of the note does not stop playing, it just cycles infinitely. Also i tried bouncing the tracks to an audio track and the bounced track is just blank. No sound. Any ideas please? Thank you

Rodolfo
Expert

Post by Rodolfo » Fri May 10, 2019 4:56 pm

Whispering Smith wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:29 pm
Hi, so i tried this out. Heres what happened. It recorded midi notes on the midi track, nothing on the audio track. When i play it back it plays the sounds, but when i press stop the sound of the note does not stop playing, it just cycles infinitely. Also i tried bouncing the tracks to an audio track and the bounced track is just blank. No sound. Any ideas please? Thank you
You can’t bounce the MIDI track since there is no instrument loaded on the track, it’s just a track to hold the MIDI data. The only way is to record in realtime the audio on the audio track where Thor (or the IAA generator you’re using) is loaded. Unfortunately this is the only way to record an IAA generator, in Auria Pro or in any other IOS DAW. It’s a limitation on the IAA generator, an old IOS technology by the way.
Regarding the sound that keeps playing is hard to tell where the problem is, but for some reason your IAA generator app is not receiving the MIDI note OFF message, or some similar issue.
I would strongly recommend that you use AUv3 apps, it’s a much better and newer technology and does not have all the known IAA issues.
Rodolfo

Whispering Smith

Post by Whispering Smith » Sat May 11, 2019 9:34 am

Ok, thank you, much appriciated