Midi Bluetooth keybord issue

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Katapulttom

Midi Bluetooth keybord issue

Post by Katapulttom » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:17 pm

Hello,
I use an xkey air keyboard with auria pro. Everything works fine. I can play any synths with this device, but I am not able to record my played notes. In the Midi settings midi notes are selected, but nothing records. When I play the internal auria keyboard. Everyting records perfectly. So, can anybody give me some advise? Greetings, tom

Corey W
Expert

Re: Midi Bluetooth keybord issue

Post by Corey W » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:21 am

Hi Tom,
I don't have the CME keyboard specifically on my end, but I do have a Korg microKEY Air and that records MIDI notes via bluetooth without any issue.
Here is my setup process:

-Turn on keyboard
-Make sure Bluetooth is transmitting on your iPad
-Open Auria Pro go into Menu> Settings> MIDI tab
-Tap on 'Bluetooth MIDI' to open the Bluetooth MIDI Devices window
-Tap on your keyboard in the list to connect it to Auria Pro
-Once connected, the keyboard will appear in the Core MIDI I/O settings
-Your keyboard by default should be showing 'Send Notes' and 'Receive Notes' in the I/O settings, that is fine for this purpose.
-Return to the Auria Pro edit screen, record arm your track, set the playhead where you want recording to start and then press Play and Record in the transport
-Record your performance and press Stop in the transport when you are finished.

Let me know if this is the process you are following. If there are still issues here, you may also want to contact CME and make sure your firmware is up to date on the keyboard as well.

Ralf
Expert

Post by Ralf » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:29 pm

Hi,

I confirm this bug with an iPad Pro, model number MTFR2FD/A, iOS 12.2, Auria Pro 2.22 and a miditech i2-mini 32 BT.

After successfully pairing, the keyboard by default is showing 'Send Notes' and 'Receive Notes' in the I/O settings.

It's possible to play via the Bluetooth keyboard, but the played MIDI events most of the times aren't recorded. Sometimes MIDI events are recorded, if so, then Auria Pro screws up the project in such a way that the project needs to be restored from a snapshot.

There's no such issue when using Auria's virtual keyboard. Due to all the other Auria Pro bugs that wasted my time, such as detuning of IAA synth, I had no time to give recording MIDI events via MIDI input of a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 connected by an Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter a go.

Regards,
Ralf

Ralf
Expert

Post by Ralf » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:27 pm

Perhaps the issue is connected with multi track projects including AU synth tracks and all kinds of other tracks, while doing an overdub recording.

Corey W
Expert

Post by Corey W » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:48 pm

...but the played MIDI events most of the times aren't recorded. Sometimes MIDI events are recorded, if so, then Auria Pro screws up the project in such a way that the project needs to be restored from a snapshot.
Can you expound on this a bit more?
-Are notes intermittently recorded in the same pass or on different takes?
-How does your Auria project get 'screwed up'?
-Does this happen when recording with Lyra or Twin2 as the instrument or with any specific IAA/AU 3rd party instrument?
-Have you tried running your keyboard as a hardwired USB MIDI keyboard to see if the problem only happens when connected via Bluetooth?

Any other info you can provide would be helpful.

Ralf
Expert

Post by Ralf » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:12 am

Hi,

the tracks are only in sync when they are played for the first time, as soon as the loop repeats playing from the start locater again, the audio and MIDI tracks are completely out of sync, hence overdub MIDI recording isn't done in one pass, it needs different takes.

If notes are recorded by playing the bluetooth keyboard, then they are moved to the beginning of a region, even if the region wasn't played from the beginning and the recording started somewhere in the middle of the region. When using the undo option or deleting one note by another it could happen that not selected notes get deleted, too. The only way to undo such a recording without damaging the project, is to restore from a snapshot.

The only Auria Pro synth I'm using, are several instances of Lyra with sound fonts from the GitHub VS Chamber Orchestra SFZ version 1.1.0 download. I can't use IAA synth, since Auria Pro plays inserted IAA synth out of tune. The same IAA synth play correctly, when inserted to a Cubasis project. Yesterday was the first time that I used a bluetooth keyboard, so I only used it for playing iSymphonic inserted as AU. As already pointed out, playing the inserted iSymphonic AU by the bluetooth keyboard works without issues, just recording doesn't work. Using the virtual keyboard playing and recording works.

Most likely I'll try to do a recording with Lyra later today. I don't have the time yet, to do all the tests that could help you, since I already waste a lot of time with working around the issues.

As already pointed out, no, I did not test the bluetooth keyboard hardwired by a MIDI interface, neither did I use another MIDI keyboard or my guitar synth.

I might migrate the project to Cubasis, but maybe I continue using Auria Pro for the first time. I never used Auria Pro before and it could be the first and last time that I will use it. If I should continue using Auri Pro, then soon or later I need to do some recordings in the studio. At least using a hardware MIDI input device is needed for challenging parts of the project, that only can be played by guitar to MIDI or by a standard size keyboard. There is also the chance that I will use MIDI out, at least to record a part using a real Oberheim synth, not an Oberheim emulation. The project already does include an inserted AU Oberheim emulation, it's quite alright, but to bring more live into the project, I likely will add my real Oberheim, since analog synth emulations and real vintage analog synth are sometimes poles apart.

Btw. I started the project a few days ago with Auria Pro 2.21. Back then I added a MIDI track to replace Auria Pro's metronome, since Auria Pro already crashed, if the metronome should play while recording. The metronome could be used when playing without recording and it could be used to count in. After the update to 2.22 I didn't test the metronome for recording, I simply continue to use the MIDI track that does replace the metronome. Note, I didn't purchase Auria Pro to become a tester, I want to get my work done. I might have some free time within this year, when I could do tests, but there's no time to do it right now.

FWIW the reason that the OP did not reply to your request, could be, that notification for replies does not work. At least I wasn't notified.

Regards,
Ralf

Ralf
Expert

Post by Ralf » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:40 am

Recordings with Lyra using the bluetooth keyboard fail, too. Even if no notes were recorded, undoing or deleting the empty region that was added to the track after such an unsuccessful recording, could cause loss of notes, even in regions of another track. Restoring from a snapshot is absolutely essential.

Ralf
Expert

Post by Ralf » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:42 am

Off-topic

IAA synth inserted to an Auria Pro track are detuned, if a 44.1 kHz project is played by the iPadPro, they aren't detuned for 48 kHz projects. I didn't connect a 44.1 kHz project with IAA apps to an external audio interface. Since the iPad Pro's internal audio device is capable of 48 kHz only, I suspect that the sample rate conversion doesn't work correctly. Perhaps sample rate conversion for IAA apps is no option at all. Cubasis allows to temporarily change the sample rate of a project and converts all audio tracks on the fly, so IAA apps could stay at 48 kHz, even if the project is a 44.1 kHz project. This is an issue for projects that are done with different software and hardware, that require different sample rates.