Looking for decent alternatives to the Overloud THM plugins

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Trash
Expert

Looking for decent alternatives to the Overloud THM plugins

Post by Trash » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:39 am

Can anyone recommend some alternatives to the Overloud plugins that are supplied with Auria (Pro).

Basically the current Overloud plugins do not work under iOS 12 (they cause the app to crash) and I am fed up waiting for a fix - it doesn't seem to be a priority and I would like to get back to working on my projects.

The fact that there does not seem to be a general uproar about this on this site tends to suggest that not many people are actually using these plugins so I wondered what others are actually using.

I am particularly looking for a decent set of guitar effects that are not going to cost the earth and work with iOS 12

My recordings are just a hobby so I don't necessarily need studio-grade plugins (particularly given the prices) but having things sound decent would be good.

So any recommendations from you kind folks out there?

Many thanks in advance.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Looking for decent alternatives to the Overloud THM plugins

Post by Rim » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:25 am

Just an update - Overloud has sent us a version to test and it's currently in beta. Hopefully this will fix the issues under iOS 12.

RIm

Trash
Expert

Post by Trash » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:38 pm

Thank you for the update - that is good news!

I think I would still like to hear if anyone has any recommendations for alternatives....

Slavetomachines

Post by Slavetomachines » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:58 pm

I was able to only use overloud once on a project ....And I really like the sounds that were coming from the plug-in… Unfortunately now when I open the plug in it totally shuts down Auria … I have a small studio that is dedicated to musicians I have Record with since the late 60s so I have a large collection in the studio of wide tape analog Reproducers… and digital production equipment… At this point Auria has been an experiment which I hope to incorporate into future small project recording sessions because of the ease of use, editing and mastering plus the ease of using dropbox ... Yes outboard processors and effects are expensive and also there can be problems with AC hum in the recording.. :)

Rodolfo
Expert

Post by Rodolfo » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:51 pm

Take a look at Tonebridge, it’s free.

Tovokas
Expert

Post by Tovokas » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:52 am

A fix will be wonderful, and ToneBridge is interesting.

But if you have Saturn, Volcano, and Timeless, you can create some amazing guitar chains. It’s not as straight up as an amp sim, but these really are incredibly powerful tools to shape guitar sounds.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:14 am

Right now, Bias Amps in conjunction with Bias FX is the most complete and flexible iOS guitar rig I use. The IAPs on both apps are kind of pricey, but you can be up and running with excellent results with the entry level packages. They have sales pretty regularly, and the apps are updated often to squash bugs and introduce new features. Their Tone Cloud has provided me with several great sounding chains. For the past year or so, I haven’t used any of the other guitar apps except ToneStack, which is also excellent; however, it too has pretty expensive (for iOS) IAPs.

Trash
Expert

Post by Trash » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:14 am

Rodolfo wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:51 pm
Take a look at Tonebridge, it’s free.
Tonebridge does look interesting BUT how do I use it with Auria?
It does not seem to function as a plugin in Auria...

Neil
Expert

Post by Neil » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:06 pm

Just downloaded it. It seems to work either with Audiobus as an input or simply added as a plugin FX in Auria. I doubt you can run more than one instance simultaneously though.

Trash
Expert

Post by Trash » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:30 pm

Neil wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:06 pm
Just downloaded it. It seems to work either with Audiobus as an input or simply added as a plugin FX in Auria. I doubt you can run more than one instance simultaneously though.

Ah okay - I was expecting it to be something I had to load via the plugin store. I'll try simply downloading it.

The 'one instance' thing could be a pain though...

Neil
Expert

Post by Neil » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:54 pm

Yes. I am using Tonestack and that is it’s main limitation also. I need to freeze the track if I want to use it with a different track. I was about to buy Overload but saw it doesn’t work on 12 yet. I might try ToneStack AND Tonebridge to see if it gives me 2 tracks simultaneously.