Import 32bit wav?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Mack333

Import 32bit wav?

Post by Mack333 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:04 pm

Hi,
I've been unable to successfully import a 32 bit wav file into Auria from Dropbox.
I have tried importing it from the dropbox section of the Auria import dialog and by exporting it to Auria from Dropbox. In either case a track is created and the file is imported but the content is absent or severely corrupted.
After my first attempts to import, my file appears in the local area in the Auria import dialog, I can preview it there and it plays fine, but once imported, it has no content. The waveform graphic is just a straight line. During one attempt, the imported file showed extreme peak levels that were not in the original file, but it produced no audible output. Most attempts show only a flat line and no indication of content.
I am importing into a new empty project each time.
I tried importing a different file, a 16bit wav, and it worked fine.
The files I'm trying to import are 32bit wav output from Paul Stretch.
Is it possible to import a 32 bit file into Auria from Dropbox?
Is there some other way to import 32 bit wav files into Auria?
Thank you for any info or help!
Kevin

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Import 32bit wav?

Post by Rim » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:22 pm

Auria supports standard 32 bit float WAV files. It's possible these files are some older unsupported 32 bit format (not a floating point format). I don't have any issues with my 32 bit test files here. Have you tried ruling out Dropbox and importing them directly from a computer into Auria, or use Dropbox to send them to the Files app, then to Auria?

Rim

Mack333

Post by Mack333 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:56 am

Hi Rim,
Thank you for the response. I tried sending the file to the Files app and then to Auria, but I get the same result.
It plays fine in the files app, dropbox, and in the Auria import browser, but is corrupt upon import. Would it do that if it was an unsupported non-floating point format?
I tried a 16bit file output from Paul Stretch and it imported into Auria fine.
Do you have any other thoughts or suggestions?
Thank you!
Kevin

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:29 pm

Auria's preview simply asks iOS to play the file (so does Dropbox's own browser), so it's possible that iOS has support for the file but Auria doesn't. I'm betting it's a non floating point 32-bit file. Can you try saving it as 24 bit? That's the more common format (32 bit is rare).

RIm

Mack333

Post by Mack333 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:16 pm

Hi Rim,
I reckon you're right about the 32bit file. Unfortunately Paul Stretch doesn't offer a 24bit output option for some reason. I see that Paul Stretch is included in Audacity. Perhaps it has a 24bit output option within Audacity. I will find a way.

Thank you for your help and the amazing software that is Auria,

Kevin