Soundcraft Ui24R - Please help

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Johnsoncj2018

Soundcraft Ui24R - Please help

Post by Johnsoncj2018 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:38 pm

I’m new to digital recording and ipad. I’ve used an Alesis HD24 track and mixing board for years to record bands. I’m tired of loading around the rack so I decided to try recording to my iPad. I downloaded auria and bought a Soundcraft Ui 24R auido interface. I bought a USB powered hub. I have mics plugged into the unit. I have my USB out into the powered hub then out of the hub to the ipad. I have the soundcraft inputs correct (you must tell Auria to start at channel 11 from the soundcraft, weird). I have my headphones plugged into the ipad. I can hear and see the signal but it’s very weak. I’ve tired routing straight from the usb (no hub) to the ipad but that’s weak too. Using the hub is a little stronger but not much at all. I turned up the gain on Auria, I’ve turned up the channel level and I have the master level up. I have the outputs right. Still very weak signal. I recorded a test sample and the signal is very weak and distorted. I then shut down auria and tried garage band and the signal is a lot stronger but I dont’ want to use garage band.

What am I doing wrong? I checked the auria compatibility page and couldn’t find the Soundcraft Ui24R listed.

Is it the usb cables or is the soundcraft the wrong unit for recording?

Please help. I only have a few days to return the Soundcraft. All I want to do is record 24 tracks at the same time. I need all 24 inputs on the audio interface to be XLR. Can someone also recommend an audio interface if the issue is with Soundcraft. I almost bought the Presonus.

Thanks for your help.

Corey W
Expert

Re: Soundcraft Ui24R - Please help

Post by Corey W » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:54 pm

We don't have this unit on our compatibility list because we haven't tested it in-house or received word that it is fully iOS compatible.

First, you should be monitoring through the Ui24R. In most cases, when a USB interface is connected to your iPad, the built in output no longer works.
The software gain in Auria Pro won't effect the gain on your interface so it can be disregarded.
You should be adjusting the gain and routing from Soundcraft's iPad app that was made to control the Ui24R. Using this app you should also check to make sure that the Ui24 is running at the same sample rate as your Auria project.

Johnsoncj2018

Post by Johnsoncj2018 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:10 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll check the recording rates.

I also spoke to Soundcraft and they recommended inserting a USB drive into the i24R, adjusting the recording levels in the Soundcraft app and then after recording/tracking, I would dump/upload the tracks from the USB drive into Auria to mix.

This option would work for a live recording session (plug/record) but not if I want to use this interface to punch/edit my tracks.

I still think this is the wrong audio interface for my purpose.

Johnsoncj2018

Post by Johnsoncj2018 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:07 am

It worked. I’m really surprised by the USB stick concept. I bought a 64gb USB stick yesterday. Inserted this into the front of the Ui24R. I opened the Soundcraft software (website). It took some time to figure out the multi-track recording setup but I think I got it. I tracked 5 channels of drums. I got a really strong signal...recorded about 2 mins of material. I then took the USB stick out and pluged into my imac. I uploaded the tracks to my dropbox account. I then got on my iPad, loaded up auria and inserted the tracks. That easy. So far.

Two things/questions: Is using a USB stick reliable? I plan on taking this to a live band show. I’ll use a splitter snake to send my channels to the Soundcraft Ui24R. I’ll use the Soundcraft software/website app to track the channels. This will all record to the USB stick. After the session, I’ll then come back and dump this into Auria to mix. I hope it all works.

Second thing: Using my ipad and the Soundcraft wifi/hotspot to open the software/app on my IPad....is this reliable?

I’ll move that 2nd question to a Soundcraft forum. But I hope I helped anyone using a similar setup with Auria.

Chriss

Post by Chriss » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:58 am

Hi, I am in a similar situation, but facing a different problem. To your poins:
Setting up the recording in Ui24 and making general eq. There is a good idea because you can save processor power for other purposes in Auria. Switching the enviroments is no problem. The Ui24 records to USB 3.0 stick and moving the files every take is a mess, I have tryed the DAW out, but with normal USB cabling I am getting jitter in recording no matter how I adjust the buffer size. Have you came across that?
Cheers
Chriss

sELF
Expert

Post by sELF » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:34 pm

Did you get a working solution for the Ui24R and Auria?

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:02 pm

I don’t know if this is connected but I have a Soundcraft MT12 which has USB audio and when I first connect it to my iPad I have to Double tap the home button, Tap and hold the music play icon and raise the volume slider to max. This solves the low audio problem. This might be what your experiencing. Typically when the iPad is connected to usb audio, the internal volume is greyed out and is overriden by the audio interface. This does not seem to be the case with Soundcraft usb audio interfaces. Cheers and hope that helps.