ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

tubwompus

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

Post by tubwompus » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:16 pm

Torturous noob question if I could, please.

iPad Pro, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20.
Just downloaded Amplitube last night.
New to third-party vst’s as I cut my teeth on Reaper and never needed any effects that weren’t bundled with Reaper.
Question is:
How do I get Auria Pro to recognize Amplitube and allow me to apply it when cutting guitar tracks?

Thank you for your patience with this punter.

ETA-Found it!!!
BUT NOW....Jayzus I’m an idiot.
Now I get a LOUD screech when I hit “play” and AmpliTube is engaged in the channel strip. It fades away after about 2 seconds.
In my confusion, I also bought and downloaded AmpliTube twice, it appears, since it shows up twice in the drop-down menu (did I mention I’m an idiot?) so it’s duplicated and I wonder if the screech is a result of a conflict between the two, although I’m only running one at a time, of course. I’d love to just wipe one of them from this iPad. Sorry for what I’m sure you consider to be inane questions.

Aeron
Expert

Post by Aeron » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:38 am

I have Final Touch as an IAA plugin and that shows up twice as well. I did read about it somewhere but can't remember why that is the case. One entry works ok and the other doesn't. Try both in turn and you may find that one of them works ok.

tubwompus

Post by tubwompus » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:38 pm

Thank ya sir.
Yep, did just that and so far, no sweat.
Also turns out that the screech was a one-time deal that happened to get recorded.
Still much head-scratching ensues but at least I’m back to (relative) sanity. Lol

Carlos salazar

Post by Carlos salazar » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:34 am

Apollo 8 thunderbolt and Auria pro? Any way to make this work? Connectors, Boxes, apps etc.

Corey W
Expert

Post by Corey W » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:52 pm

Unfortunately, there is no way to successfully convert any Thunderboldt interface into a recognizable device for iOS.

mdarby
Expert

Post by mdarby » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:23 pm

Anthony,

I just watched a couple of your videos on parallel processing, and using the master limiter for monitoring. Both were excellent! Thank you.

May I ask a basic question on song production?

In order to test my performance skills, and understanding of Auria and other iOS apps, I am trying to cover as accurately as possible Pink Floyd's Money. It has a fair number of parts to master (five different guitar sounds, vocals, effects, etc.) It has multiple time signatures and change in tempo, which has forced me to master Auria tempo tracks. (I've also discovered and reported a bug about MIDI shifting when using tempo tracks which rendered it unusable for recording new MIDI).

Anyway, I have my instruments and vocals recorded. I've recorded multiple takes of the guitar solos in case I want to try editing out errors in my best performance. A few questions.

1. In general, what if any parts should I consider multitracking? Vocals, lead guitar, other? I have an OK but not strong voice. Would multitracking my voice make the mix sound better? If so, do I pan one to the left, and the other to the right, or leave center and perhaps have the second track at a lower level? Might this work on guitar?
2. What is the best way to fix errors in performances with edits from additional performances. I have three tracks of a guitar solo. If there is a botched note in performance #1, should I cut it out and replace with an identical sliced part from performance #2? Or should I slice it from performance #2 and just place it over the waveform for performance #1? Will I need to use cross fading, in which case should I slice a little before and after the note to enable cross fading?
3. In general, are there a few basic tricks to make a lead vocal sound stronger, other than working on the performance and taking singing lessons?

Thanks for any thoughts. I know these are basic questions, but tackling everything at once is a bit daunting. I will try a bunch of the techniques you and others have suggested as well.

All the best,
Michael

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:19 pm

mdarby wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:23 pm

1. In general, what if any parts should I consider multitracking? Vocals, lead guitar, other? I have an OK but not strong voice. Would multitracking my voice make the mix sound better? If so, do I pan one to the left, and the other to the right, or leave center and perhaps have the second track at a lower level? Might this work on guitar?
2. What is the best way to fix errors in performances with edits from additional performances. I have three tracks of a guitar solo. If there is a botched note in performance #1, should I cut it out and replace with an identical sliced part from performance #2? Or should I slice it from performance #2 and just place it over the waveform for performance #1? Will I need to use cross fading, in which case should I slice a little before and after the note to enable cross fading?
3. In general, are there a few basic tricks to make a lead vocal sound stronger, other than working on the performance and taking singing lessons?
Definitely never ever pan a double-tracked vocal. Generally you have them in the center with the double-track set to a lower volume. Double-tracking can improve a vocal but it's important that the timing and the pitch match as closely as possible for the best effect.

Crossfading an edit is usually a good idea.

And finally for vocals I recommend mild compression (say a 4:1 or 5:1 ratio, slow-ish attack and release) and some reverb and/or delay. If your pitch is a little out there is a fairly decent pitch correction tool in GarageBand which you could run your vox into.

mdarby
Expert

Post by mdarby » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:05 pm

Thank you, @richardyot.

PUMP
Expert

Bussing Vocals

Post by PUMP » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:59 am

Having a problem with bussing vocals trying to do parallel compression and share reverbs, delays, etc...... I’m editing rap vocals with leads, and doubles. Is it designed for me to use separate buses for each track? Say for instance I’ve sent a lead to a parallel compression bus, a reverb bus, an echo bus, and a delay bus. Now when I attempt to send the double track to that lead to the same buses, anyone of them, they get thrown completely out of time and I have to create all the same buses separately for the double. Is it meant to be this way or am I missing something? Is it due to me using 4096 while mixing?

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:47 am

Are you using any Aux sends?

Basically there is a bug on the Aux send slots that are on the Master Channel: your project latency gets added to them, like a pre-delay.

The workaround is to create an empty stereo channel and assign your Aux input to that, then add your Aux effects on that channel. Bonus is you can daisy-chain effects on that Aux channel, so it's a better workflow anyway. But avoid using the Aux sends on the Master strip, always leave them empty.

PUMP
Expert

Post by PUMP » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:33 am

Not using any aux sends I was just creating new buses... I have no clue how to route the aux sends could you explain

Dylan Bob

808 Lyra Keyboard/

Post by Dylan Bob » Thu May 03, 2018 5:20 pm

Hello

Dylan Bob

808 Lyra Keyboard/Piano Roll Keyboard

Post by Dylan Bob » Thu May 03, 2018 5:23 pm

Hello'

Hoping someone could help me figure this one out. I would like the ability to play an 808 style Bass/Kick with the Lyra/Piano Roll keyboard so the sounds are the tune of the keys played ?

My original thought was upload an 808 Sample however how would I get the right tuning for the keys played?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Trash
Expert

Post by Trash » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:14 pm

I’m sure this is a pretty basic question but I have searched the forum and not found anything that helps directly so I could definitely use some advice.

When I first started using Auria one of the first things I did was bring over some half-finished projects from my physical HD-based recorder as I was worried that the disk drive was about to fail.
One of the projects had a TR-808/Sh-101 rhythm track. I’ve now built up the track to its finished form but find that the rhythm bed sounds really weak.
Are their any recommendation for how I can get the drum machine/bass line combo to sound weightier so that it sits better with everything else.
I don’t have any kid of midi timecode so I can’t sync up another drum machine. I’m hoping that some enterprising soul out there may be able to suggest something clever based on what Auria inherently includes.

Many thanks for any help and advice. I hope my explanation is clear enough :-)

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:29 am

I would use eq and compression to bring the 808/sh101 up to the level and impact of the newly added track. Take a look at the frequencies that make up the rythm track using ProQ, then look to see if any of the other tracks are using the same frequencies. If they are, try to make room for the rythm tracks frequencies by cutting those frequencies a bit on the other tracks. Try mixing the other tracks lower than the rythm track so that it stands out. My guess is that the newer tracks use sounds that are full of frequencies that are masking the rythm track. You will need to balance these tracks both in level and frequency. You can use parallel compression and eq to gradually add some more power to the rythm track. You do this using the bussing system. Good luck