Volume on processed signal when using external fx.

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Renfield
Expert

Volume on processed signal when using external fx.

Post by Renfield » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:05 am

Hi,

I route audio from Auria to an external Line 6 Echo Park and I want to manipulate the track while it’s getting recorded but the volume is really low even though I’ve got the inputs to my interface on a very high setting.
Is it possible to solve this through Auria or should I get some equipment that can boost the level of the delay?

Corey W
Expert

Re: Volume on processed signal when using external fx.

Post by Corey W » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:33 pm

What interface is connected to your iPad for output to the Line 6 pedal?

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:18 pm

You can raise the level of a recorded track after its been recorded by using the Gain function under options but what you want is to hear the track so that you know what your doing during recording while your manipulating the effect. To do this use the Limiter on the track being recorded. You can use the limiter in the compressor of the PsP channel strip by turning the ratio dial all the way up to LIM and use the make up gain. You can also use ProL or any other limiter available for Au3 or IAA.
This extra level wont get recorded unless you choose Record with Effects by holding down the red record light of the track your recording on. A list will appear giving you some options of recording with FX. It also allows you to raise the rec input gain of that channel. The reason your experiencing this is because the Line 6 echo Park is a passive effect meaning it has no output amp to make up the gain just the 9v battery or power supply. This is set to a nominal guitar input level so that it can then be amplified by the guitar amp otherwise there would be a huge overload at the amps input and distortion would occur. If you can set your input on your audio interface to be -10 db then you will get a hotter signal from the interface from a passive FX. You can also use a line driver to increase the gain before it arrives at the input of the audio interface. You can also get control of this by mixing during recording. Just lower the volume of the other track in comparison to the one your about to record and raise the main output level of your audio interface. Cheers and good luck. Merry Christmas.

Renfield
Expert

Post by Renfield » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:02 pm

Corey W, it’s a Roland Duo Capture Ex.

Thanks a lot, Anthony! And Merry Christmas to you too!

Renfield
Expert

Post by Renfield » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:57 pm

Anthony, should I use an active or a passive line driver? Doing some research on Google but can’t find out what would suit my needs.

wigglelights
Expert

Post by wigglelights » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:19 pm

From a quick look at the Duo, the first input, labeled instrument, is switchable to hi z which should be compatible with your presumably 1/4" connected line6 box. This also presumes the output of the line 6 is designed to plug straight to a guitar amp....

Renfield
Expert

Post by Renfield » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:32 am

I know but I often use the pedal in stereo.

wigglelights
Expert

Post by wigglelights » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:12 am

Got it -
Perhaps rather than looking at more external parts and cables maybe a new interface that supports multiple hi z inputs would be simpler and cheaper....