External storage with USB interface

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Thederekfrank
Expert

External storage with USB interface

Post by Thederekfrank » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:18 pm

I am sorry if this has been covered, but does anyone know if you can use some kind of external storage and use a USB interface at the same time? My Ipad internal storage is not nearly enough space when recording a lot of multitracks with my Behringer XR18. I would love to be able to record and not have the worries of space, but not have to buy a larger Ipad.

robdean
Expert

Re: External storage with USB interface

Post by robdean » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:54 am

The trouble is the way iOS handles external storage: it is very limited. You can connect your interface via a powered USB hub and then plug additional devices into the hub and they will function just as they would if plugged in direct, but that functionality tends not to extend to using an external drive as app data storage.
The iOS 11 'Files' app gives access to move Auria projects to Dropbox. iTunes I think now allows their transfer to PC, though I use iFunbox, despite the fact that it keeps leaving a CPU intensive PC app running in the background for no good reason that I can see.
In short: copying projects I'm not currently working on from the iPad to remote backup is the only way I am able to avoid filling up my iPad storage. If you do not have enough storage for a single project or need to work on several large projects every day, then you need to delete some other apps/data or pay Apple's ransom to get a device with more storage. My previous iPad was 32gb, currently I have a 64gb device, my next will have to be at least 128gb or the upgrade will be futile: I'll probably grit my teeth, shred my wallet and go 256...
Latest iOS - iPad Air 2019 256Gb WiFi - Alesis iO4

mididrum
Expert

Post by mididrum » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:26 pm

don't worry for storage :save to SAN DISK (usb- lightning key) there is 128 gigas (!€ and it saves ALL from Auria and returns it FINE !!!!

Thederekfrank
Expert

Post by Thederekfrank » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:45 pm

Thank you both!

I really need it to recognize that memory in real time since my Ipad storage is so low. Looks like its time to suck it up and get a bigger Ipad!

mididrum
Expert

Re: External storage to SAN DISK lightning USB interface

Post by mididrum » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:15 am

when using san disk :save all AURIA PRESETS FOLDERS (then erase THEM all) and LOAD back only the one you need
take care NOT to remove folders with tools, loops, instruments , and so on (check what is INSIDE BEFORE any action)
as well each mix (usually sent to audioshare :best IAA you can ALSO USE with SAN DISK safely!) creates a stereo doc (outside theur folders (same name: keeping tracks contents) in Auria browser :where you don't need to keep mix wave in double (if needed you can import it back from Audioshare as well Saved to/from San Disk)
128 gigas Sandisk (lightning model for ipad +USB )costs NOTHING compared to buying a new iPad (needing time to downloading back all your apps!)

ONLY (pity: too late to get it !) keep on using OS 10.35 … until OS 11 stops messing with bugged updates !
while OS 11 is not so far from OK …and anyway OS.9 is over from obsolete and gets bugs from IAA updates trying to match OS 11 !!!!
New 2017 ipad processor (x10 ) is already amazing, but better wait to change for next new ipad pro (x11)2018: then buy 520 gigas ipad: considering you NOW have a TOOL good enough for MUSIC CREATIVITY …you can stop musicians race to processor power while memory room will allow you to use the best AUE /IAA !!!!
best regards
peter jade

Thederekfrank
Expert

Post by Thederekfrank » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:31 pm

Would be able to make a video of you doing this? I am interested to see your process. Also, do you have a USB interface hooked up at the same time as your Sandisk?

Howiethedrummer

Post by Howiethedrummer » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:10 am

Yes a you tube video on setting this up would be great! Does this mean you could record and the audio files would be written on the external storage as opposed to your iPad memory?

stormclarke

Post by stormclarke » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:32 pm

Apparently the usb Sandisk iXpand flash drives are for storage only - meaning you cant play your saved project in real time
You have to copy the project from the usb drive back onto the ipad via Auria Pro- which is still a good option.

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:43 am

I'm using a WD "My Passport Wireless Pro" drive, a mobile NAS with 2 TB storage. The drive creates a wifi hotspot, all data exchange is via wifi, so you can leave the iPad interface attached all the time. It is also equipped with a recharcheable battery.

I do not recommend this particular drive because its wifi network is a bit slow. But it's a model from 2015 I believe, recent models may have faster wifi network.

And yes, these drives can be used as backup and exernal storage only. Recording is always with iPad's internal memory. This works well, I have old 16 GB iPads, only my iPad Pro has 32 GB.

Thederekfrank
Expert

Post by Thederekfrank » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:37 am

I just went ahead and got a 128GB Ipad on sale after Christmas, so no more issue with storage :-)