‘Slice at transient markers”

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

lkingston
Expert

‘Slice at transient markers”

Post by lkingston » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:11 am

I import a loop. Generate transient markers. Add extra transient markers at soft transients. So far so good. Now I use the “slice at transient markers” to split at the transient markers. The splits happen at other places. Why? Am I missing how this is supposed to work?

Rim
Site Admin

Re: ‘Slice at transient markers”

Post by Rim » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:11 am

Slice / Separate at Transient Markers use two markers to perform their work: a start marker and and end marker. By default, only the start markers are shown (these are the ones that are created based on transients). If you go to the Transient menu, you can check the Show End Markers option. The slice and separate functions will slice/separate starting at a start marker and ending on an end marker. You can adjust the end markers when they are shown if you'd like them to be at a different position.

Rim

lkingston
Expert

Post by lkingston » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:16 pm

Ok, I’m starting to see what’s going on. When I view the transient end markers I see that they extend past the markers I added, and the transient markers I added don’t extend at all. They just have start points. I can see now why I’ve had so little luck with getting natural time stretching.

How are the end points determined by the software? It looks kind of random.

lkingston
Expert

Post by lkingston » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:28 pm

Ok, I’m getting decent results by adding in all the transient start and end points manually. Is there a way to delete a specific transient marker?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:26 pm

End markers are added at locations based on the loudness of the transient. Once the transient volume has gone below a threshold, the end marker is added automatically.

You can easily delete markers just by selecting them and pressing the delete icon.

Rim

lkingston
Expert

Post by lkingston » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:51 pm

I guess the problem with transient detection is with overlapping transients where one articulation starts before the previous one went low enough to be detected. It seems kind of useless. Manual transients are time consuming but give far better warp results.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:31 pm

Actually, you can adjust the end marker threshold if you need to. It's just a matter of clearing all the markers first (in the transient menu), then use the Create Transients function. You'll get a box with two knobs - one for adjusting the start marker threshold and one for the end marker threshold.

Rim

lkingston
Expert

Post by lkingston » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:47 pm

Here’s the thing. I’m playing fingerstyle guitar. If I do a phrase with hammer-ons and pull-offs, the transient detection will look at the phrase as a single event. Then I can try to add the missing transients. The problem is that it just shows up like a line and leaves the long transient untouched. It would be better if when you added a transient, it cut the previous one short. The way it is now isn’t all that useful.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:26 am

Gotcha, I understand now. I’ll have a look to see if that can be improved. It should probably be adding an end marker right before your new start marker when you add one manually.

What I was saying though is you can have the automatic detection take another pass at the whole recording again to see if it might get it right by changing those two knobs until it works for what you’re doing.

Rim

lkingston
Expert

Post by lkingston » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:06 am

Just to say it more clearly:

The change that needs to be made is that when you add a transient marker, it needs to divide the previous transient before and after that new marker.

The way it is now the previous transient end marker extends beyond the new marker and is given no range so it has no real impact.

lkingston
Expert

Post by lkingston » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:10 am

Is there any reason why the transient end marker doesn’t just automatically extend to the beginning of the next transient marker?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:33 am

It's supposed to ;) . I just looked at the code and added this. Now when you create a new transient marker it will adjust the previous transient's end marker to be equal to the new transient's start position and will make the new transient's end marker equal to the next transient's start marker.

Rim

lkingston
Expert

Post by lkingston » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:30 pm

I would kiss you if you were closer! (It’s probably good that you aren’t ;-)) Thanks so much! This will have such a positive impact on the way I use this program!