ANY ADVICE FOR USING ALLAN & HEATH MIXER INTERFACE?

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

dandrues@yahoo.com

ANY ADVICE FOR USING ALLAN & HEATH MIXER INTERFACE?

Post by dandrues@yahoo.com » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:35 am

Hi, Thanks for checking this out. I'm having a recording problem using an "Auria Approved" Allan & Heath Zed FX mixer as my USB interface. What I hear through the headphones, and what is recorded, is acoustic guitar that sounds heavily "effected" with echo and reverb, and overall bad sound. Is this a problem you have heard about or have any experience with? Are Allan & Heath mixers OK to use? Would I be better off just getting a Scarlet or Presonis interface?

Corey W
Expert

Re: ANY ADVICE FOR USING ALLAN & HEATH MIXER INTERFACE?

Post by Corey W » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:55 pm

All of the A&H Zed Mixers work with iOS and Auria Pro. Do you have the effects enabled on your Zed mixer? Try turning the Aux 1 and 2 masters all the way down (to the left) above the red Master faders to see if that improves the sound output.

dandrues@yahoo.com

Post by dandrues@yahoo.com » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:23 pm

Thanks Corey. Very nice of you to respond!

lkingston
Expert

Post by lkingston » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:57 am

TheZedi mixers are designed to do direct monitoring through the mixer. Go into settings, then the record options and turn off direct monitoring. Do you have the FX model? If you do, you might also want to go to the output matrix settings and select outs 3 and 4 instead of 1 and 2. What this will do is bring in the recorded tracks on St3 instead of St2. That way it will be independent from the ZEDi mixer effects return.

I have the ZEDi 10FX and it really is a wonderful interface with Auria once you get it set right.

dandrues@yahoo.com

Post by dandrues@yahoo.com » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:06 pm

Thanks for responding lkingston!

MrNezumi
Expert

Post by MrNezumi » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:26 pm

I just got a ZEDi-10 and I can't get it set up to play nicely with Auria. I am able to get sound from the mixer to the iPad and record it, but I can't get any sound from the iPad to the mixer. I want to be able to make some beats in Auria, listen to them play through the mixer while adding outboard synths to Auria. Then add more hardware synths to the beats and synths recorded to Auria. I admit I am not good with hardware mixers or the input / output matrices in Auria, so detailed explanations are best. Thanks!

MrNezumi
Expert

Post by MrNezumi » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:16 pm

Bumping and hoping.

lkingston
Expert

Post by lkingston » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:33 pm

The settings that are important in Auria are the following:

Go to settings, then the record tab. Then select “record monitor off”. This will let you monitor input channels 1 through 4 from the Zedi10fx mixer without hearing the delayed internal monitoring from Auria at the same time.

Exit and go the the record matrix and change the master from 1 & 2 to 3 & 4. This will rout the returned audio from Auria to channels 7 & 8 rather than 5 & 6 which it would have to share with the Zedi10fx reverb return.

With this setup, inputs 1 through 4 on the Zedi10fx will show up as seperatly selectable inputs in Auria. Recorded audio will be direct monitored through the hardware mixer. Set the record level through the gain knob at the top of the Zedi10fx bu using the input meters in Auria. Set the volume at the bottom of the mixer to whatever level you want to hear it while you’re recording. The only thing in this configuration that will affect the recorded sound is the high pass filter and the top gain knob. The EQ and reverb won’t be recorded. Recorded audio volume will be determined solely by the top input gain knob, not the bottom volume control.

All Auria playback will come through channel 7 & 8. Channel 5 & 6 will be the monitor mix reverb for input channels 1 through 4.