ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Wouter

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

Post by Wouter » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:40 pm

Hi,
I use Pro Tools in a Audio Post environment and hoping to create a similar workflow for Auria Pro using Busses.
The template I have created send the four groups (Vo, Dialog, Music and FX) to Busses labeled Vo, Dx, Mx, FX and Mix.
I need to be able to re-record these stems back on audio tracks assigned as Stems for these individual groups (Busses).
Whenever I Record Enable these tracks, even though inputs have been assigned from these busses, the tracks assigns to Mic.
How can I create the required tracks (Vo, Dx, Mx, Fx & Mix) in one pass?
I'm using the iPad Pro 10.5"
Thanks,
Wouter
Attachments
Auria_Screenshot.jpg

gobo

Post by gobo » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:13 pm

I don't think you can do this in one pass (but would love to be told I'm wrong)
I think you have to solo each group one at a time and do a mixdown, and import each of those as new tracks

Not sure what's worse, no answer or my answer ;)
I'm no Recording Expert, so what I say really doesn't belong here.
On the other hand, it's been more than a week since you asked.

Trash
Expert

Post by Trash » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:20 am

I have two slightly odd questions to do with the behaviour of Aurai Pro which I hope one of the more experienced users of Auria can help with (please):

Question 1:

I record a take: Take #1
I then I decide I can improve it so I redo it giving me Take #2

I decide that Take #2 is the definitive take but I need to remove the final few seconds so I go to the waveform display and do a split and delete.
However this 'exposes' the end of my Take #1 which is still hanging around (I guess in case I want to Undo).

I've now go into the habit of dragging the old Takes out from under the newer ones and deleting them but is there a simpler way of doing this?

Question 2:
What happens when you record a stereo effect (e.g.) Stereo chorus on a Mono track, what are you actually recording?

Thanks for your help in Advance.

Cheers

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:02 pm

Everytime you record a take in a track, unless you delete,cut or Undo Record, the previous track will remain under your new take as you described. The reason for this is so that you can audition your various takes as whichever one is on top is the take your listening to. These graphic waveforms are only links to the actual wav file which exists in the project folder. Every take thar gets recorded is never really removed from the flash drive unless you manually delete the take from the project and you cannot be in the project in order to do this. So its built this way because Auria like all daws are non distructable meaning your original audio that you recorded will always be available should anything go wrong in the mixing process. So if you dont want to see the last take always hit undo record or tap cut. If you dont want to go looking for the best take in your filing system for the project, keep all the takes up to audition them. And yes you will have to cut the top take to see and hear the take thats under it. As for recording a stereo FX on a mono track. You dont actually record an effect but rather it is applied to the original signal either in series ie the plugin list or in parrallel ie. the busses or Aux. It only becomes part of the track after a mixdown. So yes you can send a mono track to a stereo plugin. The result is that the stereo effect is heard from a mono signal as the source. Stereo FX can effect both a mono and a stereo track. So if you have a mono synth but want a stereo delay effect so that the delays bounce from side to side, you can by sending the mono synth track to a stereo delay plugin like Timeless 2. Cheers and hope this helps.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:09 pm

Wouter wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:40 pm
Hi,
I use Pro Tools in a Audio Post environment and hoping to create a similar workflow for Auria Pro using Busses.
The template I have created send the four groups (Vo, Dialog, Music and FX) to Busses labeled Vo, Dx, Mx, FX and Mix.
I need to be able to re-record these stems back on audio tracks assigned as Stems for these individual groups (Busses).
Whenever I Record Enable these tracks, even though inputs have been assigned from these busses, the tracks assigns to Mic.
How can I create the required tracks (Vo, Dx, Mx, Fx & Mix) in one pass?
I'm using the iPad Pro 10.5"
Thanks,
Wouter
I do this all the time but you need a multi output/Input audio interface. I use the Orion 32. You just send those bus tracks out seperate hardware outputs and return them back into the inputs of the audio interface. Create new stereo or mono tracks to record the inputs. Turn record monitor off for this or you will monitor the loop. Sorry for the long delayed response but this info is goid at anytime for others to know. Cheers and good luck and hope this helps.

acaonweb
Expert

Control effect with channel strip

Post by acaonweb » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:09 am

hi, probably the question is stupid but i would like to control an effect using the volume automation in a channel strip
Probably something related to bus use but i'm newbie and unable to make it works

PLease help :)
iPad Air Pro 11 iOS 16.3 WiFi 512 Giga, Scarlett Focusrite 18i8
http://mustek.bandcamp.com

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:37 pm

All you need to know is in my tutorial video on this subject. Simply choose to automate the track once you have your FX set up. You can also automate the tracks volume in the track editor lanes if you need to do any fine tunning of the automation. Good luck and enjoy the tutorial. Here is the link.
https://youtu.be/4KCKC7jB8dY

PeterDoubt

Monitoring while using Audiobus

Post by PeterDoubt » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:13 pm

Hi -
For the life of me I can't find this information - I'm certain it's simple but I haven't used audiobus before, I have 2 tracks recorded in a project and I'm trying to do a scratch Bass guitar track (track 3) using Thumbjam - just something simple for now. I'm using Audiobus3 with TJ as the input. I can't hear the already recorded tracks to play along to. I've enabled audiobus monitoring in the general settings. Do I have to route tracks 1 and 2 somewhere? When I just try to play the song, the levels are active but there is no sound unless I disable Audiobus.

Thanks...

Trash
Expert

Post by Trash » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:15 am

Anthony Alves wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:02 pm
So if you dont want to see the last take always hit undo record or tap cut. If you dont want to go looking for the best take in your filing system for the project, keep all the takes up to audition them. And yes you will have to cut the top take to see and hear the take thats under it.

As for recording a stereo FX on a mono track. You dont actually record an effect but rather it is applied to the original signal either in series ie the plugin list or in parrallel ie. the busses or Aux. It only becomes part of the track after a mixdown.

Hi -

Many thanks for the extensive response.

I dont actually want to keep previous takes as they just take up space. As I think I said in my original post - my old HDD recorder used to have a 'Clean up" option which would remove all historic takes and just leave the top layer (i.e. most recent versions) available. This could be done on a per track or per song basis. The suggestion you make (hitting Undo) actually removes the last take which is exactly what I don't want to do since it is usually the last take which is the one I want to keep (otherwise I wouldn't have redone it - if you see what I mean).

As for the Stereo FX question actually I do record my effects since I mostly don't want or need to edit them later. The effects are part of the sound for me so I 'Print' them as I record (mostly). So my question kind of still stands - If I do this am I generating a stereo signal even though I am supposed to be recording to a Mono track. I tried an experiment and it seemed that I ended up with two waveforms on the mono track which seemed a bit strange..

Thank you again

PeterDoubt

Re: Monitoring while using Audiobus

Post by PeterDoubt » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:15 am

PeterDoubt wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:13 pm
Hi -
For the life of me I can't find this information - I'm certain it's simple but I haven't used audiobus before, I have 2 tracks recorded in a project and I'm trying to do a scratch Bass guitar track (track 3) using Thumbjam - just something simple for now. I'm using Audiobus3 with TJ as the input. I can't hear the already recorded tracks to play along to. I've enabled audiobus monitoring in the general settings. Do I have to route tracks 1 and 2 somewhere? When I just try to play the song, the levels are active but there is no sound unless I disable Audiobus.

Thanks...
I got the answer from the Audiobus forum: Auria isn't compatible with Audiobus 3 yet. AB2 works fine.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:14 pm

That's actually not true. Auria is compatible with Audiobus 3. It just doesn't make use of the new Audiobus 3 SDK. This just means that you can't do MIDI routing within Audiobus through Auria (but you can easily route MIDI using the existing CoreMIDI support). Audio routing is still fully compatible.

Rim

PeterDoubt

Post by PeterDoubt » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:57 am

Rim wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:14 pm
That's actually not true. Auria is compatible with Audiobus 3. It just doesn't make use of the new Audiobus 3 SDK. This just means that you can't do MIDI routing within Audiobus through Auria (but you can easily route MIDI using the existing CoreMIDI support). Audio routing is still fully compatible.

Rim
Well, when I used AB3 and played my already recorded tracks just to practice with ThumbJam, I could not hear anything. I'm talking about tracks 1and 2, vocal and guitar. This was whether Track 3 was armed or not. Audiobus was set to 'Audio', not midi. Using AB2, I was able to hear my prerecorded tracks. Was I missing something?

Duckmandu
Expert

Post by Duckmandu » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:19 am

I'm having trouble getting stereo out of Auria… i've never had this problem before, but presently everything on the master output is in mono. I know the tracks are in stereo, and some the effects, both inserts and send, are in stereo!

One of the three tracks seems to be mono according to the metering, even though I can see from the waveforms that the track is also in stereo; I can tell the two channels are not identical.

The other two tracks are metering in stereo.

I'm guessing something in my signal flow is messed up but I cannot for the life of me figure out what.

Thanks for your help.

- Aaron

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:49 pm

Check that the MONO button isn't accidentally pressed on the master channelstrip.

Rim

jussishow
Expert

Post by jussishow » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:35 am

Hi !
Trying to figure out the finer details of the PSP Channel Strip.
I know what the expander does ... sort of ...
But what exactly am I listening to when pressing the MON(itor) button ?
Is it the signal "driving" the expander, or ?