MIDI merge

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

niallobrien

MIDI merge

Post by niallobrien » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:13 pm

Hi all, I dunno if this is the correct term for this feature, but I'd like to be able to record some MIDI, then add more MIDI on top of it (the same track and region) during a second pass.
Eg. I've a MIDI track setup to trigger Drum Session. I pull up Auria's pads and can record MIDI with no issues. However, in something like Korg Gadget, I generally tend to lay down the kick and snare on the first pass and add the cymbals on a second pass. How can I achieve the same with Auria Pro without replacing the previously recorded MIDI?

Thanks in advance.

Niall.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: MIDI merge

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:22 am

You can do this easily. Under EDIT in the editor window select MIDI RECORD OVERDUB MODE. When checked off you can record as much midi as you like on top of the the already recorded midi on the very same track. Cheers and good luck.

niallobrien

Post by niallobrien » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:46 pm

Perfect, thank you. Funny, over-dubbing didn't come into my mind as I'm used to using that term with audio, not MIDI. :lol:

King
Expert

Post by King » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:00 pm

"during a second pass"

The only thing I would like to add here (which is important) and I don't know if you know.
With Auria, the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc passes will need to be started again for each 'pass'.
No loop-record presently.

King
_____________________________1 Luv_____________________________

_____________________________King____________________________

niallobrien

Post by niallobrien » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:44 pm

Yeah, I read (Rim is the creator, right?) that loop-recording would require a major rewrite of the playback engine, approximately six months worth.

Joepno

Post by Joepno » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:51 pm

Sorry for reviving this old topic. I have a related question, though. I have some midi files with, say, 2 piano tracks. Is there a way to merge these 2 existing separate tracks to one combined midi track? I do not want to convert it to audio at this stage.
tx
joepno

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:34 am

Select all the regions you want to merge with the multiselection tool and hit "join". This should create a single region that includes all the selected MIDI data. Then, if you want, delete the empty track(s).

TomD
Expert

Post by TomD » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:25 pm

I’m curious about this also. The join function only appears to join midi sections on the same track. The track on top overwrites the underlaying midi. However I’m trying to merge two separate tracks combining the input data on both tracks instead of writing one over the other. Maybe I’m missing something?

Somosdosislas.com

Post by Somosdosislas.com » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:08 am

Hi everyone! I’m a new Auria Pro user and I’m struggling with the midi overdubbing function. I check the “Midi Record Overdub Mode” option, record some midi, and then hit record again on the same track and all I get in the end is the second recording, with the first one deleted. Is there something I may be missing, is it a kind of bug? Thanks in advance and excuse any misspelling as I am a spanish native speaker!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:21 am

Looks like this is a bug that crept up in 2.14 when I fixed the MIDI join function (overdub uses the join function internally). I'll get this fixed for 2.15. Sorry about that.

Rim

Somosdosislas.com

Post by Somosdosislas.com » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:29 am

Rim wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:21 am
Looks like this is a bug that crept up in 2.14 when I fixed the MIDI join function (overdub uses the join function internally). I'll get this fixed for 2.15. Sorry about that.

Rim
Thanks for your fast reply Rim, I was starting to get crazy!! I noticed that it used the join function because when I tapped the undo button it appeared as an action between the two recordings. Thank you!

TomD
Expert

Post by TomD » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:04 pm

Rim wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:21 am

Rim
Thanks Rim! You’re doing a great job keeping things working.