Audio Unit plugins on aux channel

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

chisel316

Audio Unit plugins on aux channel

Post by chisel316 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:25 am

Are AU plugins supposed to work on aux channels? They work as inserts, but when I add them to an aux channel and dial up the send amount on my instrument track, I don't hear any difference. Just the dry signal. The native and IAA effects work fine. I've tried AUs from Audio Damage, Blamsoft, VirSyn, Numerical and more.

Thanks,
chisel316

richardyot
Expert

Re: Audio Unit plugins on aux channel

Post by richardyot » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:39 am

Hi, I already replied on the Audiobus forum, but I'll copy and paste my answer here as well:

Maybe try adding a regular stereo channel and setting its input as AUX1, adding your AU as an insert on that channel, then dialing in the sends and see if that works.

Using the AUX panel on the Master Strip is a deprecated workflow, the recommended approach is to use a stereo channel with the input set to AUX.

chisel316

Post by chisel316 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:53 pm

Yes, this works. I appreciate your help! I also noticed that the regular aux channels work if I create the channel you described and just leave it empty.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:58 am

Yes but there is a bug on the AUX panel effects: latency compensation is broken on the AUX panel, so it will add a delay that matches your project latency to any effects you add there. If you set your project latency to 4096 and add a reverb for example, there will be a clearly audible delay on the reverb. This doesn't happen if you use a stereo channel for your AUX.

My advice is to always use a stereo channel for your AUX effects, and ignore the panel on the Master Strip.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:21 am

FYI, the delay compensation issue with AUX ports was fixed in the last version (2.13).

Rim

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:02 am

Ah - I didn't know that, thanks for the fix!