“Real Time” bounce track to audio?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

JoshuaRex

“Real Time” bounce track to audio?

Post by JoshuaRex » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:55 pm

Good evening!

I have a MIDI track playing CMP Grand Piano. I tried Bounce Track to Audio to, well, bounce some MIDI to audio, but there was some pretty god awful clipping in the audio track after rendering.

I was wondering if there was a way to route the signal of the MIDI track to a new audio track? I’m sure there’s a way but I’m not finding it at the moment. Thanks!
Attachments
F46252C5-0E63-45E4-85D4-D4AA9B567525.png

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: “Real Time” bounce track to audio?

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:14 pm

Here is something to watch out for when doing a bounce in place. The bounce includes all the plugins inserted into that track so if there is a plugin that increases the level of the track and yes even eq can increase the level, you have to remember to turn those plugins off once the track has been bounced in place or you will be applying more gain to the audio track. If the increased level of distortion or clipping is in the file itself after the bounce in place, than you can lower the volume of the midi instrument prior to bouncing and remember you can than later increase the new audio file if it was too low by using the gain feature found in the Process menu. You can also inset CMP grand as an IAA plugin in an audio track and direct the midi track that has the midi data on it to output to the CMP grand in the audio channel. You find this in the midi channel settings for midi output. Record the CMP track as you would any other audio track and the midi track will play the cmp piano while the audio is being recorded onto the track that the CMP piano is plugged into. This way you can view the levels being recorded into the new track in real time. Good luck and Cheers.

Corey W
Expert

Post by Corey W » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:19 am

There is a bug on Crudebyte's end that is currently effecting all of their plugins (AU and IAA) when converting MIDI to Audio. Christian is aware of the problem and currently working on a fix.

lkingston
Expert

Post by lkingston » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:41 pm

Here’s my thread on the same subject:

http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=15376

lkingston
Expert

Post by lkingston » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:45 pm

The way to do a real time bounce is with buss assignment. Assign the track you want to bounce to a bus (buss 3 for instance). Now assign that same bus (3) as the input for the track you want to bounce to. The bounce is a record in real time.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:51 pm

Anthony Alves wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:14 pm
Here is something to watch out for when doing a bounce in place. The bounce includes all the plugins inserted into that track so if there is a plugin that increases the level of the track and yes even eq can increase the level, you have to remember to turn those plugins off once the track has been bounced in place or you will be applying more gain to the audio track. If the increased level of distortion or clipping is in the file itself after the bounce in place, than you can lower the volume of the midi instrument prior to bouncing and remember you can than later increase the new audio file if it was too low by using the gain feature found in the Process menu. You can also inset CMP grand as an IAA plugin in an audio track and direct the midi track that has the midi data on it to output to the CMP grand in the audio channel. You find this in the midi channel settings for midi output. Record the CMP track as you would any other audio track and the midi track will play the cmp piano while the audio is being recorded onto the track that the CMP piano is plugged into. This way you can view the levels being recorded into the new track in real time. Good luck and Cheers.
Anthony, don't all the filters get removed as part of the bounce in place?

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:51 pm

lkingston wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:45 pm
The way to do a real time bounce is with buss assignment. Assign the track you want to bounce to a bus (buss 3 for instance). Now assign that same bus (3) as the input for the track you want to bounce to. The bounce is a record in real time.
Or just create a new audio track, set the input to master, solo the track you want to bounce, hit record and play through.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:28 am

If you mean filters being FX then yes anything that you have plugged into that track will be included in the bounce, You have to turn off the FX if you don't want them included. The confusing thing about Auria is that there are a few ways to accomplish the same thing. Like bounce in place is really just a mix down with the add as a new track option all in one tap but it has proven to be tempormental at times and because its destructive with no option to recoup your original file after exiting Auria makes it my last choice of mix down. I only use the mix down function when I need to do this in order to preserve my original track material. Cheers.

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:08 am

after I've done a mixdown to a new track I always zoom in and match the transients of the new track to the original. I find that the new region is forward in time by a number of samples (probably the latency setting). This is important to maintain phase accuracy.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:35 am

mtingle wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:08 am
after I've done a mixdown to a new track I always zoom in and match the transients of the new track to the original. I find that the new region is forward in time by a number of samples (probably the latency setting). This is important to maintain phase accuracy.
Yes, this is a longstanding bug. Set your project latency to 4096 and it's very obvious that the resulting bounce will be shifted forwards by quite a wide margin. It seems to to only happen when plugins are inserted on the track that has been bounced, as far as I can tell.

Would love to see this one squashed, as it has caught me out a number of times, messing with the timing of the project.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:39 am

As far as I know, this bug only applies to plugins inserted into an Aux slot.

Rim

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:34 am

Rim wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:39 am
As far as I know, this bug only applies to plugins inserted into an Aux slot.

Rim
It also happens with inserts. I filed a reproducible case in the bugzilla a couple of years ago, with Drumagog in an insert. It happens with other plugins too though.

This is reproducible:

add a short percussive sample on the timeline, precisely lined up to a beat.

add Drumagog as an insert effect

set the project latency to 4096

select the track, use the "bounce track in place" command

once the track is bounced examine the timeline, and note that the beat is no longer lined up.

The same bug occurs if you solo the track, and do a mixdown, importing it as a new track rather then using "bounce track in place".

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:13 am

That's a Drumagog issue and the amount of offset doesn't vary with the latency (it's always 3528 samples). I just tested it with a mixdown and it's a constant 3528 samples off.

Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:48 am

I just found and fixed this latency issue. It was actually in the mixdown code (which also affects bounce in place). Plugin latency wasn't being compensated properly, which is why you would see a 3528 sample latency when using Drumagog (that's the amount of latency it uses).

Rim

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:35 pm

Thanks for the fix Rim. The issue does also happen with other plugins, but I haven't managed to find a 100% reproducible case. Maybe this fix will sort it anyway.