Uploading from Files in iOS 11

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Pigdragon
Expert

Uploading from Files in iOS 11

Post by Pigdragon » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:44 am

Can anybody tell me whether it is now possible to upload audio files direct from the iPad, via Files in iOS 11, to distributor websites such as Distrokid, Ditto Music etc?
If not, is there another way of doing it?

Dwayne
Expert

Re: Uploading from Files in iOS 11

Post by Dwayne » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:58 pm

Read the iOS11 thread... How awesome is Rim and team!

Pigdragon
Expert

Post by Pigdragon » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:53 am

Please indulge a dumb Brit - is that a yes or a no?

I have read the thread, which implies that the answer to my specific question may be yes, but I was looking for definite confirmation before jumping into iOS 11, especially since the last post in that thread is about crashing on startup on an Air 2, which is my machine. So far, no replies to that one either.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:56 am

There's a new version of Auria that's just been submitted to Apple for review (v2.12) which supports iOS 11 and its Files app. It should be reviewed in the next few days by Apple.

RIm

Pigdragon
Expert

Post by Pigdragon » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:14 am

Ah, ok. Thanks Rim.

Pigdragon
Expert

Post by Pigdragon » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:38 am

That’s a no then. I’ve just tried uploading an audio file from Files in iOS 11, and it doesn’t work.
Am I the only person who wants to do this?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:51 am

The latest update (2.12) brings Files support to Auria Pro. I've also added it to Auria and Auria LE (and Auria upgraded to Auria Pro) in 2.13 which will be available in a few days.

Rim

Pigdragon
Expert

Post by Pigdragon » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:41 am

I’ve already got Auria Pro 2.12, I can access its files in Files app, what I can’t do is upload them to a distributor website.
For some reason Apple don’t seem to want you to do that. Anyone have any idea why?
Or am I just doing something wrong?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:55 am

Can you describe what you mean by a distributor website? And please describe the steps you're taking inside the Files app. I wasn't aware of any way to copy files directly to a web site.

Rim

Martmac

Post by Martmac » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:32 pm

Thanks for your response Rim, this is of interest to me too. I emailed support at Distrokid today about the same issue and will post their response when I have it. This isn’t a fault with Auria for sure; I suspect it’s with the upload programme used by Distrokid.

Distrokid are an American-based digital distributor/aggregator who get very good reviews for their service. I signed up last year, and reached the stage of uploading the album art from my iPad Pro, which was easy. When I came to upload a track (created in Auria but mixed-down to AudioShare) I received a message saying that tracks could only be uploaded from a desktop Mac or PC. This isn’t my experience with some other distributors/aggregators, so I contacted the company about it. They were adamant that their software would not allow tracks to be uploaded from an iOS device (not even from the DropBox app) so they gave me a refund and I went elsewhere. (Btw Pigdragon, I would avoid Ditto, from bitter experience! Soundrop are worth trying).

I too hoped that iOS11 and Files would allow track uploads from an iPad to companies like Distrokid, and hopefully they’ll let me know if that’s possible within a day or so. However, I’m convinced that the problem lies with their software - for example, when Loudr were acting as distributors, I was able to upload tracks to them directly from this iPad - I no longer have a current Mac or PC and live in a remote rural area, so that was an important consideration for me.

Pigdragon
Expert

Post by Pigdragon » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:31 am

Thank you Martmac, that’s pretty much what I was trying to say, we’re off grid as well and living in a motorhome, so no room for a desktop computer. And we don’t see much point in splurging a grand or so on a laptop as an extra bit of kit for the sole purpose of uploading music files - we can do everything else on the iPad.

And thank you Rim, I didn’t mean to spook you after all your hard work. I was pretty sure it couldn’t be an Auria problem, I just thought there must be someone else on this forum who wants to do the same as me - turns out there is at least one.

Martmac

Post by Martmac » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:03 pm

Hi Pigdragon,

A motorhome was part of our plans once, well done! We’re in a former shepherds’ bothy & only got electricity 5 years ago; everything else is off-grid. The iPad, Auria and AudioShare are lifesavers!

I’ve had a reply from Distrokid:

OCT 04, 2017 | 07:46AM PDT
Nick replied:
Hi Martin,

Thanks so much for following up! Our system doesn’t yet allow for iOS uploads, but I’ll definitely take a note of your request and follow with our team up on the progress here.

All the best,

Nick
DistroKid Support
http://distrokid.com

As far as I recall, Soundrop’s system does allow uploads from iOS, it’s worth having a look at their setup: http://soundrop.com

They took over from Loudr distribution when Loudr decided to focus on cover song licensing. I used to be able to upload to Loudr from the iPad, so I’m hoping it’ll be the same with Soundrop. It works with Bandcamp btw, but I have to upload from my DropBox a/c. Good luck!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:57 pm

There's always the email option as well, from the mixdown screen. Not sure how large the file is, but some email services will allow fairly large uploads.

Of course, Dropbox is another way to get files off of Auria.

Rim

Pigdragon
Expert

Post by Pigdragon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:35 am

Yes, but DistroKid (for example) don’t accept submissions by email or via Dropbox.
I tried it once with CD Baby, who had rather sniffily informed me that they didn’t accept submissions from an iOS device, because their platform was intended for “professional users only” ! They did eventually allow me to send the files by email, as a one-off, but only after I had repeatedly and determinedly asked for my money back.

I’ll try Soundrop in a while, just to test them out, but from what I can see they don’t do their own distribution, they go through CD Baby 🙄. Which could turn out to be the same old roadblock, or it could be a handy workaround. I’ll let you know...

Pigdragon
Expert

Post by Pigdragon » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:17 am

OK, so I seem to have succeeded in uploading a track to Soundrop for general distribution. It was a bit of a convoluted process, not at all intuitive, and I had to go via Dropbox, it wouldn’t load direct from Files. But they seem to have accepted it, so I’ll just wait to see if it appears on iTunes, Spotify etc.
I’ll report back...