Looking for advice on effects for Auria

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Trash
Expert

Looking for advice on effects for Auria

Post by Trash » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:00 am

Hi everyone -

I’m looking for some advice on effects that integrate with Auria Pro.

Basically I record guitar direct and have previously used effects pedals to get the sounds I need. Now that I am switching from a Hard-disk based Portastudio to Auria on an iPad I would like to be able to ditch the effects pedals for something that is integrated into Auria Pro itself.

The FX I am looking for would be guitar Overdrive, Distortion, Phaser type things (anything to give the Di’ed guitar a bit more warmth and bite).
Oh and I would rather not spend tons of cash that I don’t have :-)

I’m still finding my way around Auria so any advice would be appreciated.

Many many thanks in advance...

richardyot
Expert

Re: Looking for advice on effects for Auria

Post by richardyot » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:59 am

Within Auria itself there is the Overloud THM plugin, which is a fairly comprehensive guitar effects and amp sim suite.

There are also some IAA apps that you can buy on the App Store and record from Auria: Tonestack, Flying Haggis, BIAS FX, and Amplitube. All are pretty good, and these will be more versatile than Overloud because you can use them with other apps on your iPad, since they are not tied to Auria.

The main advantage of the Overloud plugin is that you can run multiple instances within Auria, which you can't do with IAA apps, they need to be recorded and bounced if you need to run several instances of them. However the IAA apps have more up-to-date audio engines (although Overloud is actually pretty good, but it hasn't been updated for years). BIAS FX, Tonestack, and Flying Haggis are my personal favourites, for playing clean guitar. For high-gain sounds BIAS FX seems to be the best-sounding by general consensus.

Trash
Expert

Post by Trash » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:24 am

richardyot wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:59 am
Within Auria itself there is the Overloud THM plugin, which is a fairly comprehensive guitar effects and amp sim suite.
Hi -

Many thanks for the response.
How do I access the Overload plugin as I have never seen any guitar fx other than (from memory) some acoustic guitar FX.
Please excuse the newbie question(s)

And thanks again

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:21 am

You have to buy the Overloud plugin from the Auria Store. You can find the store at the bottom of the main menu.

Trash
Expert

Post by Trash » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:48 am

Ah okay - when you said within Auria itself I presumed you meant included by default.

I will check out the store as you suggest.

Thanks again.

Cheers

pegleg85
Expert

Post by pegleg85 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:32 pm

Just get BiasFX and Tonestack. They are incredible. Be ready to stay up all night messing around with all the presets.

Tovokas
Expert

Post by Tovokas » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:50 am

I agree that BiasFX and Tonestack sound awesome, (I have both) but I would be wary of using them in Auria. They require using the older IAA (Inter App Audio) method, and many of us have had nothing but heartache using that technology. (Some folks seem to get along fine.. but I’ve lost lots of hair trying to make it work consistently). (Using Audiobus is a whole other discussion...).

The advantage of Overloud is that it’s built into Auria (as a separate purchase, of course). All the ‘built in’ plugins I own from FabFilter and PSP are incredibly reliable in Auria, and they perform very similarly to plugins in your desktop DAW. This is usually easier for folks new to the app to get a handle on. Can anyone speak to the current reliability of Overloud?

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:42 am

Very reliable, Tovokas - I use it daily. The presets are not that good - too bright and the names are misleading more often than not, but modeling algorithm itself is very good and you can get consistently good results once you find your way around the plug-in settings. Unfortunately, no built-in guitar tuner.

Tovokas
Expert

Post by Tovokas » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:32 am

theconnactic wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:42 am
Very reliable, Tovokas - I use it daily. The presets are not that good - too bright and the names are misleading more often than not, but modeling algorithm itself is very good and you can get consistently good results once you find your way around the plug-in settings. Unfortunately, no built-in guitar tuner.
Thanks much! I think I’ll pick this up then... it’s one of the few Auria plugins I don’t own.
On a related note, IK Multimedia has said it is working on AU versions of their lineup. (I have all their stuff, but removed them as I had such difficulty using them in Auria or Cubasis in IAA.) If Amplitude goes AU, that will be a huge plus for Auria guitarist, but it also might encourage ToneStack and Bias to join the AU party. What a joyous day that would be! (For the OP, AU effects are in practice much more reliable than IAA. Their interfaces pop-up like Auria’s built in plugins, and they support state saving, so they act like desktop DAW plugins. There are still issues, but AU is definitely on the upswing).