Big Shock, but I had a backup

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Andreas

Big Shock, but I had a backup

Post by Andreas » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:08 am

Hi,
Just wanted to ask you if there's a maximum file size/length for continuous recording on an iPad Pro 2nd/latest Gen with Auria?
It's just that after I recorded a live event (2 tracks) and the recording was finished nothing out of the ordinary happened.
However after closing the app and starting it again the following day. A brief message popped up along the lines of the app is fixing an error and after it started the whole recording had completely disappeared. Big shock initially!! :x I just couldn't restore the recording from the previous night.
I have 256 GB on my new iPad Pro, and it's quite zippy, but Auria apparently didn't like the 4 hour 30min continuous recording.
I was so relieved that I had a backup recording on a TASCAM digital recorder, so I was still able to process all of the performances and send the files to the performers.
This was the very first time I tried Auria on something like this, and after all seemed to behave fine during the night with the tracks showing up fine during and after recording, somewhere something weird has happened.
Other than that I've used Auria successfully with short recordings. Can Auria just handle limited continuous recordings?

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Big Shock, but I had a backup

Post by Rim » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:40 pm

Auria should have no problem recording a four hour performance. The maximum limit is about 23 hours (limited by your hard drive space too, of course). After the recording, did you close Auria before it had a chance to save the recording (there's a message that pops up after the recording that says "processing". For a four hour recording, that should take a few minutes. Interrupting this process could cause issues.

Rim

Andreas

Post by Andreas » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:48 pm

Thanks Rim for your kind response.
I have a funny feeling that I didn't wait for that time to pass and the message to display, as I likely put the lid on my ipad as soon as I clicked Stop Recording. Perhaps that put it in sleep mode and interrupted the saving?? I just needed to quickly tidy up and put the gear away with bar patrons with drinks walking past my gear.
I'll watch this next time and wait before closing the lid.
So I assume that the automatic saving feature only works when stopping or pausing any recording?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:31 am

If by automatic saving you mean snapshots, then yes. Snapshots are just backup copies of the project file. They don't contain any audio (it would use too much space to keep backup copies of audio). Snapshots are created every 10 minutes unless there's no activity.

Rim