MIDI recording with iWavestation

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

jameslondon74

MIDI recording with iWavestation

Post by jameslondon74 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:30 am

Hi,

I'm trying to record multiple midi channels in Auria Pro using iWAVESTATION. I can record one channel fine, but adding a second channel, using a different sound in iWavestation proves impossible. Auria keeps saying it can't open the app when I try on the second channel. I am sure I am missing something here.

Any help? Is iWavestation multi-timbral? i can do this in gadget no problem.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: MIDI recording with iWavestation

Post by Anthony Alves » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:28 pm

No iWavestation is not multitimbral. Although it has 8 parts that is not 8 seperate midi channel parts but rather 8 sounds that can be stacked or spread across the keyboard in zones. So it is possible to record different tracks plaing different zones on the same midi channel. If you want to record more than one track of iWavestation, mixdown the track or Bounce in place. However remember if you use bounce in place it will remove your midi track and replace it with audio. This is a destructive process once you exit AuriaPro. If you wish to preserve your midi and use the bounce in place feature, simply make a copy of the midi and paste it to a dummy midi track and mute the track. That way if something goes wrong with the bounce you still have your midi track to try again.

jameslondon74

Post by jameslondon74 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:29 am

I suspected as much. After further research, I am realising that synth apps are generally NOT multi-timbral, so does this mean I can only have one midi synth in any performance? Unless - as you say - I bounce down the audio. I guess I could keep a midi copy of each track for revisiting or working on? Is this normal practice?

E.g.
1. Wavestation piano audio, plus an archived muted Wavestation piano midi track.
2. Wavestation strings audio, plus an archived muted Wavestation strings midi track.
etc

Is there a way to archive tracks in Auria so that they don't play, PLUS they don't use up CPU? (is this 'freeze'?)

Lastly, aside from the amazing Fab Filter synths, are there any great multi-timbral synths out there? Or do people generally use one synth per midi channel per song?

Thanks!

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:28 am

The reason you can only use one instance at a time of an IAA synth is because that is a limitation of the Inner App Audio protocol. This limitation has now been removed with the addition of Audio Units. There are now many synths that are Audio Units. You can have as many instances of the same synth in the same project as your iPad can handle. Midi data takes up literally nothing in terms of drive space. So depending on what type of synth your looking for will determine if your interested in purchasing it. I use in AU3 format available already is iSem, Bram Bos Ruismaker FM, Jim Audio Poison 202,Ice Gear Lorentz,Nikolozi NS1, IVCS3 VCO. There will be plenty to choose from soon. You can have as many IAA midi synths as you like as long as its a different synth on every track. You just cant use the same one twice in the same project thats why they introduced AU3.
Any track that you cut out of the project still exists in the file system of that project and can be loaded back into any project anytime using the Import File command. So everything is actually archived in your project and wont dissapear from your drive unless you delete in inside the projects file. You cannot delete files from the same project that you have open. You can only delete files from a project that is not open. So if your in projrct A you can delte any file from any other project except project A. Use the Import File or Load Project to access the filing system. Once there you really dont have to load anything if you dont want to but you can swipe across any file and delete it when a red Delete appears. Swipe the right side of a file to reveal this delet icon. Any file that is not in the project does not take up CPU. In fact AuriaPro uses realtime audio streaming meaning it never reall loads the file into memory but rather streams it in real time off the drive. Hope this helps. Cheers