Anyone using transients? (And getting click sounds?)

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

joe12stories
Expert

Anyone using transients? (And getting click sounds?)

Post by joe12stories » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:09 pm

I've always wanted to take advantage of lining bass notes up with the kick drum by applying and moving transients. It works, but with a side effect of a nasty clicking sound. Always. Anyone experience this and know of a fix? Rim?

joe12stories
Expert

Re: Anyone using transients? (And getting click sounds?)

Post by joe12stories » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:17 pm

I'm working hard on an album and could really use some feedback regarding this.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:55 pm

Are you using warping or slicing/separating on transients? Bass will usually cause clicking when you slice it, especially if you don't slice where there's total silence. To avoid clicking, I suggest using warping instead. But if you want to use slicing, some ways to reduce clicking though are setting the auto-crossfade to a higher value in the settings (this will automatically fade in and out at every region boundary). Also, just make sure you slice where the volume is very low or silent.

Rim

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:54 pm

Rim, sometimes using warping will cause click sounds and other artifacts, I’m not sure why. Something wrong with transient detection, perhaps (and it becomes quite evident something is not right with transient detection when using it with bass instruments, and sometimes even guitar, where sometimes lots of incorrectly placed transient markers will appear, as it was considering the individual cicles inside a note as different notes, like a bad compressor sometimes does with basses). Because of this, I try to keep my warp usage to minimum and focus on a good performance in the first place (and arguabily that should be standard procedure). Could be a bug inside the Élastique algorythm itself - pitch shifting is also unreliable when pushing for more than 4 semitones, anything bigger will render the result badly out of tune. Also, warping can become pretty unstable when the warped track has lots of regions - it will be way more stable if I turn warp only after joining the separate regions imto a single big region.

My workaround for whenever transient detection doesn’t behave - meaning I cannot use audio quantise unless I take hours to clean the wrong transient markers - or when warping itself leads to artifacts such as described by the OP is do it old-school and use audio editing and crossfades to manually place the notes where I want to. It would be nice if I could use audio quantise consistently, but for now I use it regularly only for drums, when it usually works as advertised - the clicks sometimes happen and are particularly apparent in kick drums and other bass drums.

joe12stories
Expert

Post by joe12stories » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:16 am

Yes, it's the clicking noise that happens on any moved transient. This forces me to do it the old fashioned way: cutting bass notes manually and dragging them to line up with the kick. Very time consuming.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:30 pm

Keep in mind that transient detection is really designed for drums (and other percussive instruments). Bass, vocals, guitars, etc will not yield great results. It can be done, but can be tricky. This is the case with every major DAW's transient detection. The only exception are plugins like Melodyne, which are inherently designed for non-percussive sources. Auria uses the more traditional transient detection found built into most DAWs.

This is why I added warping. It is very rare to have clicking artifacts when using warping. Warping can be used on any material (it doesn't need to be percussive).

@theconnactic if you're getting performance issues when using warping, remember to wait until the little circle fills up all the way (located at the top of the status bar). This is an indicator that Auria is processing the warp files in the background. During this time, there are more system resources being used. After the circle fills up, warping no longer takes up any CPU.

Rim

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:27 pm

Rim, I always wait the circle to fill. I also always bounce in place after warp editing. The clicking and artifacts will come eventually. Also, I came from Logic Pro X, where I use warping (called "Flex Time") to any instrument with minimum artifacts, and the transient detection works consistently, so Audio Quantize is a breeze there. For now, when I really need to correct timing issues on non-percussive tracks, I'm exporting them to Logic. Not an optimal solution, so I've been paying double atention in getting things right when recording them.

joe12stories
Expert

Post by joe12stories » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:50 am

Correct. The warp function sounds perfect - no clicks - until it's time to mix down or merge audio. Then the clicks come in. I guess it's back to manual editing until this gets fixed.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:10 am

I have found that I have to be careful about the amount of warping I do. There is a certain point where it seems to start wanting to break down and I get clicks. I probably get more carried away than I need to. Have to agree with the theconnactic as well, the transient marks just seem to appear in odd places at times.

That all being said, if I don't overdo it, I don't have a a lot of problems. And I always bounce in place when done as well.