One song is taking up half my iPad storage

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

dirkacts

One song is taking up half my iPad storage

Post by dirkacts » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:01 pm

I have one song with about 16 tracks. 10 of them are drum tracks for each drum instrument. The rest are guitar tracks. The whole project takes up 15gb of space and is causing me to run out of space.

Is there a way to get rid of cached files (in the raw storage, I see over 160 files in the main project, 9 safety backups, 441 files in 'Overview Data', and 10 'Snapshots'. If I could safely get rid of the ones not being used, I am sure I could regain some valuable disc space.

gobo

Re: One song is taking up half my iPad storage

Post by gobo » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:36 pm

Have you tried
Menu > Settings > Clean Up Project
?

dirkacts

Post by dirkacts » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:50 pm

I did clean up the project and now I still am seeing:

89 wave files in the general project folder (looks like multiple versions of the same track - 'Vs lead 6.wav' and 'Vs lead7.wav' etc)
9 backup files
246 files in the 'Overview Data' folder
10 auto snapshot files

When I record a guitar track and go back and re-record the same track, will it keep some fingerprint of the first recording unless I 'undo' the first recording? I am not undoing any takes, just rewinding and recording. I only hear the last guitar recorded, so I assumed it wasn't keeping the prior takes. Is this causing multiple versions of each track?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:13 pm

Since Auria is a non-destructive DAW, it works like Logic. Pro Tools, etc and will not remove previous takes. A cleanup also will not clean up anything in the main Documents folder, since those files might be used in other projects, and Auria has no way of knowing that. I recommend manually deleting any WAV/AIF files you no longer need from the Documents folder.

Backup and Snapshot files take very little room on disk (the are simply copies of the project file, no audio). Overview files are used to draw the waveforms on screen.

Rim

King
Expert

Post by King » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:32 pm

In a similar:

Yesterday I was doing some housekeeping and I (sillily) used the 'Condence Regions' feature. :/ This time in stead of deleting files (that I need), it added files???

I started out with 87 files, and now it's well over 400.. WT!

What it did was create a 'NEW' file/region for every single separate region. They just have the next number up on the file.

So if I had a single drum Loop called 'DrumLoop', but had it duplicated 10 times, it created 'DrumLoop 2' and 'DrumLoop 3’ and 4 and 5 and so on..

King
_____________________________1 Luv_____________________________

_____________________________King____________________________

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:43 pm

That's right, Condense Regions doesn't always result in less space being used. It all depends on the type of project you have. That feature is useful in a more traditional project, with very few duplicated regions. It saves a lot of room in projects where trim handles are being used a lot. What it does is create a new WAV file for every region, and the length of each new file is defined by the trim handles. Then it deletes the original (usually larger) WAV file. On the other hand if you have a project which has lots of duplicates of a single region (for example 200 copies of the same snare hit), Condense Regions is definitely not the function to use, as it will create 200 individual copies of the snare, resulting in a massively larger project size.

Rim

King
Expert

Post by King » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:19 pm

Rim wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:43 pm
... Then it deletes the original (usually larger) WAV file. On the other hand if you have a project which has lots of duplicates of a single region (for example 200 copies of the same snare hit), Condense Regions is definitely not the function to use...

Rim
Hey Rim,

This is actually logical, cheers!

But I think it (Auria) should be wise enough to know that two or more regions are 'exactly' the same (including length) and should be left as is.
But as you say, it works in a particular way so..

1’s n 0's

King
_____________________________1 Luv_____________________________

_____________________________King____________________________