Midi issues

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

theconnactic
Expert

Re: Midi issues

Post by theconnactic » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:42 pm

@Rim, disabling the gestures seems to have done the trick for the MIDI panic issue. Unfortunately, it didn't help with the other issues. Tonight I'll take the time to finally do the promised step by step tests for the other bugs.

In the mean time, I'd like to ask what does "expand the opcodes" mean - does it mean to make it compatible with formats other than EXS, SF2 and SFZ? If those are to be the only formats available, that's already cool and far ahead the competition. But when you said that "the opcode stuff" won't be expanded, it was just about the opcode stuff, or about Lyra itself? I confess I was still hoping for some further development for Lyra, specially in regards to creating/editing Libraries in the said formats.

Well, back to the subject, I'll post here the results. IPad Pro 9'7", iOS 10.3.3.

Jmcmillan

Post by Jmcmillan » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:43 pm

Rim,
Here are some steps to reproduce the MIDI bug I found:
1. Tempo =120. Track one add midi track. Program in C scale in quarter notes.
2. Track 2 add midi track. Program in a c scale in quarter notes, one octave down.
3. Play to make sure notes line up
4. Move track two's region 2 beats forward to beat 3 so that the e note on track 1 lines up with c note on track 2
5. Change tempo up from 120 to 150
6. Change tempo back to 120.

Track 2 will shift. Also Midi clips will trim themselves. Data is still there just have to extend the midi clip back to full length.

Another variation:
2. Track 2 add midi track. Program in a c scale in quarter notes, one octave down.
4. Move track two's region 2 beats forward to beat 3 so that the e note on track 1 lines up with c note on track 2
5. Edit tempo track and add a tempo change to 150 on beat 2 measure 1.
Track 2 will shift.

Another variation
4. Move BOTH tracks forward to beat 3, so they both start at beat 3.
5. Change tempo up from 120 to 150
6. Change tempo back to 120.

Both tracks will stay aligned, but their start point will change from beat 3 to about halfway between beat 2 and 3.

In all cases, If you skip step 4, or in other words keep the tracks aligned to measure 1 beat 1, no amount of variation of tempo changes will cause a track misalign.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:05 pm

@Jmcmillan,

Thanks, looks like all of those are related to changing tempo once a song has already been created. I am aware of these issues already, but haven't found a good way to address them. In the mean time, I've been recommending to not change the tempo after you already start putting down notes. In other words, you just need to decided ahead of time what the tempo will be.

Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:06 pm

@theconnactic,

Good to hear. Let me know if you discover any other reproducible issues.

Rim