24bit vs 16bit: Mixing Drums

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

rayetheridge
Expert

24bit vs 16bit: Mixing Drums

Post by rayetheridge » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:14 am

I have been using Garagebands drummer application for drums. I have been transporting the drums to Auria and mixing in 24bit/44.1.

For some reason, the drums do not react to my plugins well and the drums get very lost in the mix with the other tracks that are recorded in 24bit. I cant get the snare to pop through the mix no matter how I compress or EQ it. I've never had this issue before.

I am assuming this is because Garagebands audio is 16bit and has much less headroom and the plugins have less to work with in bit depth?

If this is the case, how can I fix this or should I just use a 24bit Drummer application?

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: 24bit vs 16bit: Mixing Drums

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:12 am

Compressors react to level not bit depth even though its in the digital format. Once a file has been established as useable within the daw, the daw will load that file and all the features of the daw will be available to be applied to that file. Eq adjusts frequency not bit depth again because of the above described reason. My guess from a mix engineers persfective is that the snare tone or Fx on the snare are not cutting through because of an offending similar frequency within the mix. In fact overcompressing a snare or anything can take its impact away to the point of which its no longer even heard in the mix unless you raise the snare to an unacceptable level which wont work. Find out the frequency in which the soloed snare occupies and search the other tracks for matching frequencis and lower them so as to make room for the snare. You can also choose a snare with a more distint tone that doesnt occupy the same similar frequencies as in the other tracks. Hope this helps. Bit depth doesnt matter as much as what your hearing. Cheers.

rayetheridge
Expert

Post by rayetheridge » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:46 pm

Thanks for the response.

What drummer app or services do you use with Auria?

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:19 pm

For loops I use MoRevox Collection from the Auria Plugin Store, Snare and kick replacements from Auria Drumagog , DrumPerfect for sequenced drums that I load my own samples, I like Funk Drummer for Cymbls, I like DrumLoops HD for standard real drum loops but its limited but mostly now I record my own drums from my Vintage 1963 Premier kit. Cheers.

Trentsongs
Expert

Post by Trentsongs » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:31 pm

When you say you’ve never had this issue before, what kind of results were you getting with GarageBand alone? How have you been “transporting” the drums into Auria? Are the drums coming into Auria dry or with effects already recorded? Once in Auria, have you tried creating a basic mix without any processing, then applying eq, effects, compression, etc. as needed? Have you applied any limiters or compression to the mix bus?