Sample folder empty

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Jmcmillan

Sample folder empty

Post by Jmcmillan » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:53 pm

Haven't used Auria Pro in a few months...busy at work. Opened it up today to find no Lyra instruments! Popped open the folders with iFunbox and the samples folder is completely empty! All my instruments gone, even the stock ones! Anyone else have this happen? Lost full SSO samples and some others. Hope I can restore the stock Lyra samples and my SSO samples and my project still works. Had a nice orchestral piece started. Frustrated...

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Sample folder empty

Post by Rim » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:48 pm

Sorry to hear that. This issue is caused by the fact that Apple doesn't permit developers to store large amounts of data into iCloud. So the entire Lyra library, IR files, Drumagog files, the demo songs, etc are excluded from the backups. It's the only way we were able to get Apple to approve the app. In the future, I recommend that you manually back up any custom Lyra instruments you create (to a computer via iTunes and a USB cable), so that you have those somewhere safe in case you need to restore from a backup.

Some iOS updates do in fact delete data (I've had it happen myself), so it's a good idea to back up manually.

Tovokas
Expert

Post by Tovokas » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:12 am

Apple can be so mystifying. What is the point of offering 200 gigs of storage for a pittance except for backing up all the data critical to running your apps?

I do think publishing to iTunes has improved slightly of late with faster approval times, and TestFlight is a huge upgrade over the bad old days of testing, but working with Apple's idiosyncrasies can still be so infuriating.

I keep backups of a number of different sample folder 'loads' that can be moved in and out depending on how much space I want to give over to instrument data. It does give peace of mind knowing that Apple has no misgivings about wiping out your data.

Jmcmillan

Post by Jmcmillan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:00 am

Thanks for the replies. I understand what happened now. A recent update to iOS 10.3.2 probably did it. This is the only data that was wiped out however!

I think most of the blame is on Apple for this. But I think it could also have been expressed in the manual several times that a backup of some folders is absolutely necessary to preserve your data and prevent loss of work!

Please correct me if I'm wrong about this not being in the manual.

When I first started collecting apps, I was under the impression an iPad alone could be used for music production. Now I see a PC must be used in tandem with an iPad, for making music; iPad alone won't cut it. Even if no DAW software is used for further mixing/editing on the PC, it must be used at least as a backup "server."
Thank you,
Jon

Tovokas
Expert

Post by Tovokas » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:47 pm

If I understand correctly, the new Files app in iOS11 will allow interaction with the file areas of apps like Auria. If that's the case, I would assume you should be able to backup these folders yourself into apps like AudioShare or FileBrowser, or to your cloud drives, included your own folders in iCloud, with no need for a PC middleman.