Plosive plugin?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Nerfhearder

Plosive plugin?

Post by Nerfhearder » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:12 pm

Is there a plugin that handles plosives, in a vocal track, for example? I picked up the Pro-DS plugin hoping that might work, but it only goes down to 2k.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Plosive plugin?

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:00 pm

You can take care of any loud area of a wav file in a track by using the highlight tool and the Gain function under the Process menu. That will allow you to lower any given area of the audio file so you can just highlight the plosive and lower its level. Distortion or simply a bad sound due to the plosive cannot be removed as that is in the audio file itself. So unfortunately things will remain sounding the same just not louder. If you have this plosive problem throughout the entire track say a recording from a mic from a video camera on a windy day or a mic that was placed too close to the subject, you can try to use a compressor or you will need to edit every plosive on the track. You can also side chain the compressor from a Pro Q and have the compressor lower only when it hears that specific frequency. As for a single plugin that can accomplish this the quick answer is no. As well if you describe the type of plosive you have and how it was created there might be a better solution but with little to no info regarding the sound your dealing with it is almost impossible to suggest any type of fix as this is Not the easiest thing to fix. I assume that there is audio information that sits inside this plosive that needs to remain or you would have simply cut it out of the mix in the editor. Because you are looking for a plugin to deal with this plosive tells me there is something inside that plosive that needs to remain in the mix and cannot simply be cut out. Right so far? So that is why I have made the above suggestions. The Pro G may also help to cut out any part or lower that part through the threshold of the ProG. Combine the ProQ,ProC,ProG and side chaining and you may be able to get this under control but it will likely never sound very good but slightly better. Cheers

wigglelights
Expert

Post by wigglelights » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:40 pm

This possibly could be tamed using multiband compression - a narrow frequency range could be defined around the pop, and just that area would be compressed, take some of the energy out of it. Still tricky especially if it's a lower male voice with signal in that same range but it should help.
(Or of course you could buy some stockings, bend up a coat hanger, make a pop filter, check your mic angle and recut the track.... :wink: )

Not quite helpful, but there were a couple of dynamic eq vsts I used a while back for this sort of thing. Very cool, just like a multiband compressor but for eq; ranges could be cut or boosted dynamically based on input... fixed a well played bass part recorded on a POS bass with one of those.

Tovokas
Expert

Post by Tovokas » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:16 pm

In addition to the ideas mentioned, one technique that doesn't require any plugins is to just do some slicing and dicing on the audio itself:

1. Keep the initial 'p' sound
2. Remove or attenuate the following high energy low frequency part of the wave
3. Then move the initial 'p' to where it sounds natural just before the main sound

This approach can sound surprisingly natural, and can work in tandom with other techniques.

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:57 am

use pro-q2 to see where the plosive is and then apply a low cut filter above that area, adjust steepness of filter to taste.

Rusko
Expert

Post by Rusko » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:27 pm

Heya, Nerf!

You're going to have to file this under: "Moral Support" :wink:

1.) The above is all good advice, and

2.) De-plosiving (!) and De-essing by hand--yes--is a hassle, but there's at least one silver lining: your edited "hotspots" of potential issues are all laid out and ready for re-tweaking on your track--not hidden under the hood of plugins.

Also: nothing beats a clean initial recording. Besides my usual music vocals recording, last fall I was recording tons of VO (of myself) for military training stuff...and I wished for the same thing you want.

After doing everything above, and other (experimenting with mic placement and pop-screen coverings) I really worked with my awareness of *how* I was speaking tough sounds (plosives, fricatives, etc) and addressing the mic (distance and angles...channeling my Inner Sinatra) to get better raw material.

I saved myself a lot of work, plus the improvement in my technique led to other improvements in my voice quality.

Cheers!

Nick