Behringer FCA1616+ADA8200 rejected as interface

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

mesniu
Expert

Behringer FCA1616+ADA8200 rejected as interface

Post by mesniu » Thu May 11, 2017 4:20 pm

After using the Behringer FCA1616 in conjunction with their ADA8200 as a recording interface for well over a year, the iPad is now rejecting it as an interface. After a couple minutes of being connected (usually while I'm assigning track inputs, but if I wait about two minutes it will happen as well) I get a "This accessory is not supported by this iPad" warning and the ipad switches to the internal mic as input. Before last week, the last recording session was in December (it's been all mixing since then).

I've updated the firmware in the FCA1616, but it was no help.

Anyone else having similar issues?

Is this a thing that may have been caused by an iOS update?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

--Mark

DaveSSD

Re: Behringer FCA1616+ADA8200 rejected as interface

Post by DaveSSD » Tue May 23, 2017 7:53 am

Hi Mark

I have been having the same issue with a Behringer Uphoria 1820, which has worked very well for months, but since the last Auria update has this issue. I am also finding the I/p level is low with some hf distortion, and the pop-up I/p gain knob in the Auria mixer has no effect on the level. All works fine with Garage Band!

I've been in communication with Cory at Wave Machine labs who said no one else was having the problem. Below is the conversation so far. Hope it helps you.

Cheers Dave

>

23 May

Hi Cory, thanks for getting back promptly.

My point with the back ups was not to do with an external device, but the fact that when Auria is reinstalled it is not able to ‘see’ existing files and projects, including backup files, that would (should) still be in the IPads internal storage. If these files are automatically deleted when Auria is uninstalled that is something which would be good for Wavelabs to change. In addition when I reinstalled Auria the first time with the iPad running 10.3.1, Auria could not see existing projects on Drop box. Now with a second reinstall with iPad running 10.3.2 it does.

However after this latest reinstall the i/p level fault is still the same. The most notable thing that points to the problem being in Auria is the fact that the pop-up ‘Rec level gain’ knob has no effect on the level ( up or down) when the signal is via USB. It does change the level with the internal mic as the source. There is also distortion, most noticeable on high frequencies.

I have now installed Garage Band and though the level on USB I/p is lower (not having used GB before I don't have a reference for the i/p level when using the Behringer U1820) than the internal mic, it can be adjusted up and down with the GB i/p level control, also there is no distortion.

I have not had the “U1820 not supported” pop up message since the first re install of Auria. I did find though that with the iPad in app select mode (double press on Home button) so that the Home screen is about half size, when the USB is plugged in a message appears at the bottom of the screen with the Auria logo “UMC1820 connected”. This is hidden when the Home screen is returned to full screen. BUT there is no message since updating to iOS 10.3.2 !!

By the way is it normal for both the Aux returns on the Master strip to Solo when any other channel is solo'd ?

Re Forum:
This was posted by user Mark (user name mesniu) on the 11#May

>Behringer FCA1616+ADA8200 rejected as interface
by mesniu » Thu May 11, 2017 3:20 pm

After using the Behringer FCA1616 in conjunction with their ADA8200 as a recording interface for well over a year, the iPad is now rejecting it as an interface. After a couple minutes of being connected (usually while I'm assigning track inputs, but if I wait about two minutes it will happen as well) I get a "This accessory is not supported by this iPad" warning and the ipad switches to the internal mic as input. Before last week, the last recording session was in December (it's been all mixing since then).

I've updated the firmware in the FCA1616, but it was no help.

Anyone else having similar issues?

Is this a thing that may have been caused by an iOS update?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
<

And this on 13# May:

>Recording Quality and Fidelity
by Snekia78 » Sat May 13, 2017 5:36 pm
I am running Auria Pro on an iPad Pro 128GB dedicated to professional audio recording.
My problem is as follows:

I am recording vocals through a Presonus iTwo dry, no effects.
I had been struggling for months with recording vocals; treating rooms, buying reflections shields, retreating rooms, changing rooms, etc... unable to figure out was was wrong.

Then I shut down Auria pro and ran the exact same signal path into Cubasis to start running more tests.
You guessed it, Cubasis sounded perfect.
So back to Auria pro, and horrible. (My buffer size is 256 if curious)

WHAT IS WRONG? I have spent a lot of money on Auria pro , plugins , IPad Pro, etc .....
I am extremely computer and DAW literate. What is going on?
Yes, I have checked for the millionth time if any plugins, channel strips, or anything also were active. This IS a fidelity quality problem.

Does anyone, particularly the developers, have an answer? I have spent endless hours on an extremely important project that still is not done. I soon will request a full refund if these issues do not stop.

I would appreciate any help, insight, or compensation at this point

Thank you

<
I hope the additional information helps you find a quick solution to this issue

Regards Dave

On Mon, 22 May 2017 at 17:09, Corey (WaveMachine Labs) <support@auriaapp.com> wrote:
##- Please type your reply above this line -##
Your request (12829) has been updated.

To add additional comments, reply to this email.

Corey
Corey (WaveMachine Labs)
May 22, 11:09 -05

Hi David,
I am sorry to hear about the issues you are having with Auria Pro lately. Let me try and address everything you brought up in the email.

-You can back up Auria sessions and audio files to your Windows computer. Download iFunBox (free download from i-funbox.com) to your PC and use it to get direct file access to your iPad Apps. You can open Auria Pro's root directory folder to drag-and-drop files back and forth between your PC and iPad. This is great for backup and restore.

-What version of iOS are you running?

-What is your Core Audio Mode in Auria set to? (Menu> Settings> General tab> CoreAudio Mode)

-For Auria version 2.10 (and beta 2.11) we have not seen any bugs or issues that are leading to widespread interface issues. Can you point me to the posts on our Forum that are also reporting issues? We may have missed something, I definitely don't want to leave any rock un-turned to discovering new, possibly critical, bugs.

-I have a Behringer X32 here and just completed multiple tests in Auria 2.10, 2.11 and iOS 10.3.1, 10.3.2 and saw change with functionality. We don't have any U-Phoria interfaces here to test specifically.

-Do you have another iPad DAW like Garageband or Cubasis that you can test the interface with?

Best,
Corey WaveMachine Labs
David Well
David Wellington
May 21, 15:38 -05

Auria update probs May 2017.
Auria/IPad Air1/Behringer U-phoria UMC1820

After the latest Auria update was installed, when I first connected the audio interface to the lightening port (via Apple camera connection kit as per usual) I got the pop up message “1820 not supported”. When trying to record the i/p level shown on the track meter and in I/p matrix window, is very low (-30) even with the audio interface clipping, also the pop-up Rec I/p level knob has no effect on the level. Playback is fine, but Auria crashed when assigning a record I/p in the mixer screen.

I have tried different leads, rebooted everything many times and even deleted and reinstalled the Auria App ( losing all projects! Even backups! Why can't the app be reinstalled and the data remain as with a Windows based app? A two hour 8 track live recording takes over an hour to back up to Dropbox even with a Superfast broadband connection so not a viable method). Since the Auria reinstall I no longer get the “1802 not supported” message but the low I/p level persists.

I discovered this issue at the beginning of a recording session which had to be cancelled at great inconvenience to the musician and loss of income for me. This was at my home studio but most of my recording is of live concerts, if I had found this bug at one of them and therefore not been able to make the recording, my professional reputation would have been seriously damaged, as well as significant loss of income.

I see on the forum that many users are reporting various problems with the new version, including others with Behringer interfaces having the same issues as me – but as yet there is no response from Wavetech!?
The Behringer equipment is “class compliant” which is all Auria specifies for compatibility, and has worked well for me during the past six months.

I have a live festival recording booked in next weekend, so I need this bug fixed as soon as possible!
If a fix is not possible by then, how can I revert to an earlier version of Auria that works?

Regards

David Wellington

This email is a service from WaveMachine Labs. Delivered by Zendesk
[J5Y6OO-Q9QP]

mesniu
Expert

Post by mesniu » Tue May 23, 2017 7:56 pm

THANK YOU DAVE!

I am about to back up all my projects, do an uninstall/reinstall of Auria, then I can test it at rehearsal this week. We'll see what happens.

Hopefully this means I can return the Tascam US 16x08 that's showing up tomorrow. I didn't think to check it with another DAW, because the message I was getting said specifically that the "accessory is not supported by this iPad." It didn't suggest the incompatibility was with the app, but rather the iPad itself, so I didn't think to check with other apps.

The info is much appreciated. It was a bit frustrating seeing how many people had read this post but no one had any suggestions. This is great news. Thank you.

DaveSSD

Post by DaveSSD » Thu May 25, 2017 10:48 am

Hi Mark,

Thanks for confirming the Behringer works with a PC, I was about to drag my old Xp machine out, update to Win7 download the drivers and try the Behringer. You've saved me a days work :mrgreen:

Here are my lastest findings, note the part on the i/p select drop down which sees all 8 Behringer channels.

24may

I have just updated to 2.11, the iPad is on 10.3.2.
Now when I plug in the Behringer 1820 I get the pop-up message ‘U1820 connected’ when the home screen is minimised. So it seems the iPad is recognising the Behringer.
BUT I still have a very low record input level in Auria , and still no control over the level with the Recording level control knob. The i/p select list shows all 8 i/ps, and all work with the 8 Behringer preamps, but with the the low level.

User mesnui has confirmed directly to me that he has exactly the same issue, with the Behringer FCA1616.
I’m also using an official CCK.

User mididrum has posted that he has to use the new Apple USB 3 camera connection kit to connect a Behringer X18. Could it be that Apple have upgraded the Lightening port to USB 3 and not informed you?

Going back to my first message to you : I need to have this working for next weekend to record a festival with 8 bands playing (which could be a good promotional opportunity for Auria ), so I’ll ask again, if you will not have a solution to this issue very soon, how can I regress Auria to the version available in December which worked perfectly with the Behringer?

Regards

Dave

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu May 25, 2017 12:49 pm

Yes Aple has updated the usb CCK. The new USB CCK is updateable. It is possible that Berrinhger has updated their driver for that audio interface to the new USB version. Check it out. You can always return it if it doesnt change your situation but its worth a try and its my first thought after reading your problem. Good luck

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Mon May 29, 2017 8:37 am

I plugged in my new Apple CCK and the ipad asked if wanted to update the firmware. I said yes and never hand any problems with my BEHRINGER XENYX UFX1604. Could be relevant here as Anthony said.

I haven't upgraded any firmware in the Behringer.

auria 2.11
ipad pro 10.3.1 (large)

DaveSSD

Post by DaveSSD » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:30 pm

Update 8june

So I now have a Usb3 cck from Apple, which has the big advantage of a lightening port as well as USB C so the iPad can be charged whilst using Auria. Plugged it in, IPad (Air 1) ask to update port, all successful.
Now every time when connecting the Behringer UMC1820 there is a message on bottom of the screen (with the home screen minimised – fast double click on Home button) with the Auria icon stating that the UMC 1820 is connected, ( or Audio Codec if I connect my Xenix X2442). All tracks appear in the track list and show i/p level on the i/p matrix. BUT there is still a very low audio level, -40 is indicated on the channel meter with the Behringer just clipping, and as before the pop up channel Gain knob has no effect. Tried with Garage Band and all works, with a good range of i/p level control.

In frustration at still getting no answers from Wave Tech ( they appear to be uninterested unless it is a “global issue” i.e. all Auria users have the same problem) and desperately needing a solution to fulfil a recording contract at a live festival, I bought MultiTrack DAW, by Harmonic Dog, just £10. It worked perfectly! And I shall be using it for recording from now on as it is so quick to set up, totally reliable, and has very low CPU usage.

Now, the really strange part; going back into Auria I found that the i/ps had returned to their normal gain, but the gain knob still had no effect :shock: . Long story short – the i/p level set in MultiTrack DAW, directly effects the i/p level in Auria!! You just need to have both apps open to set the level, then close MTD, if you really must record with Auria.

BTW the ever helpful Behringer tech team are testing the Uphoria range with iPad & Auria updated to USB3