Auria crashes while drawing Mute automation, loses data

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

jduvick

Auria crashes while drawing Mute automation, loses data

Post by jduvick » Thu May 18, 2017 10:13 am

Hi, I'm using Auria Pro v2.10 on iPad Pro 12.9 " iOS 10.3.1

I am experiencing Auria crashes when drawing Mute automation. Specifically when attempting to create or move an edit point with long press. Not every time but often enough to suggest a bug is at work. Happens both with finger-drawn or Apple Pencil-drawn automation.

No fun, but a serious issue is that I experienced audio data loss after the latest crash:

This was 2 hours into a 16-track recording session with 16 audio inputs. At some point between takes I tried to remove a mute automation on one track (that was added in a previous playback session) and I experienced the crash. I re-launched and continued recording without being aware of a problem.

On later re-launch, I discovered that the take that had been recorded right around the time of the crash (i.e. all 16 channels from time x to time y) appeared corrupted (wacky waveforms). Takes prior to that, as well as subsequent recording takes were normal, fortunately. I can't be sure if this was the take right BEFORE the crash or right AFTER, but it was in that time frame.

After a second re-launch at a later time, Auria reported it was automatically 'fixing' a problem, and at that point the corrupt data were simply absent from the display across time x to y. There were still 16 .WAV files saved for that take but they showed duration 00:00 and 654 bytes. Snapshots did not succeed in recovering the lost data -- the relevant snapshot was 'fixed' by Aurio on re-launch and simply showed the same loss of track data.

While I can't be sure that the automation draw-linked crash resulted in the data corruption, I can't think of another event during this session that could have caused a selective loss of data.

I've noticed other reports on this forum of crashes on automation rewrites, but have other experienced data loss too? Or am I barking up the wrong tree to explain the data loss?

Jon

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Auria crashes while drawing Mute automation, loses data

Post by Rim » Sun May 21, 2017 9:37 pm

Thanks for letting me know. I tried to recreate this here with a simple project, but mute automations seem to work fine when I record them, both by drawing in points, and by recording on the mixer page. If you eventually find a repeatable way to make it crash, I'd love to know about it, so I can fix it.

Thanks,
Rim

jduvick

Post by jduvick » Tue May 23, 2017 9:45 pm

I was able to reproduce this by
1) creating a new project with 16 audio tracks
2) recording some audio (not sure this is a requirement)
3) invoking 'Mute' from the dropdown on a single track
4) hand-editing the mute on/off tracing numerous times (finger or Apple pencil)
- long press to create an edit point
- press and drag up or down
Result: periodic crashes, average of one in 5 edits.
Thanks,
Jon

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue May 23, 2017 10:30 pm

Thanks, that did the trick here as well. I appreciate the help. I've added it to my list for a future update.

RIm