High pitched sqeal when recording

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

charlie49
Expert

High pitched sqeal when recording

Post by charlie49 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:14 am

Hi everyone

I recently bought a Zoom R8 to use as an audio interface as well as other things. When I start a recording in Auria using the R8, everything goes well for a minute or so then a high pitched squeal develops nearly deafening me. I have taken to using Cubasis which I do not want to do, as it doesn't happen on that...... any ideas?

charlie49
Expert

Re: High pitched sqeal when recording

Post by charlie49 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:40 am

i have used the Zoom R8 on Cubasis half a dozen times to record guitar and vocals and it works perfectly, so the problem appears to be in Auria. Halfway through recording there is a horrible high pitched scratching/interference sound which almost deafens me, has nobody else ever had this? This is ruining my recordings and frustrating the hell out of me!

Corey W
Expert

Post by Corey W » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:40 am

Hi Charlie,
I apologize but we do not have an R8 in-house available for us to test and see what may be going on. Try sending an email to Zoom and see if they can run some tests on their end, they should have a copy of Auria.
I will see what I can do about getting an R8.

-Corey

Corey W
Expert

Post by Corey W » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:43 am

Response from the head of Zoom technical support:

"Thank you for contacting us. Our R series is not set up to be compatible with an IOS device. It is only compatible with Mac OS or Windows OS. Perhaps this is why they are running into issues."

charlie49
Expert

Post by charlie49 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:31 pm

Thanks for your efforts. The R8 does link successfully with Auria and starts to record successfully but after about one minute or so of recording it just starts a loud hissing like it is peaking drastically. As for not being set for iOS, it works perfectly with Cubasis, so what I am doing is recording vocals and acoustic instruments in Cubasis and sending the tracks to Auria to mix and master. Not ideal but no big deal really just annoying. Thanks again, appreciate you efforts.

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:45 pm

I have a Sound Devices Mixpre-D which is class compliant and worked perfectly under older versions of iOS. After updating to iOS 8/9/10 a large hissing sound developes after a few minutes of playback with Auria.

I tried with Audio Share app and got exactly the same result and assumed it was a problem with the mixpre-D. In fact I sent the unit all the way to Germany to be tested by the Sound Devices technicians who basically said that the unit was fine and that it was not guaranteed to work with anything other than OS X and windows.

The fact that your unit works with Cubasis makes me wonder if that app might work ok with the mixpre-D.

charlie49
Expert

Post by charlie49 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:30 am

Give it a go, cannot do any harm, it just seems weird to me that it is fine for a while then explodes with the noise oh well there's always a work around. Good luck

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:41 am

can you give us a run down on your setup? include all the devices your using. its very difficult to determine your problem without this info. cheers