Question - soloing and buses

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

mtingle
Expert

Question - soloing and buses

Post by mtingle » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:41 pm

When a track going to a bus is solo'd should the bus be automatically solo'd to?

It seems very logical to me and also be much more efficient work flow wise for solo to work this way.

I can't think of a reason for the whole chain all the way to the master out not to be solo'd.

Perhaps it's because you can route to multiple buses at once?

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Question - soloing and buses

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:35 pm

mtingle wrote:When a track going to a bus is solo'd should the bus be automatically solo'd to?

It seems very logical to me and also be much more efficient work flow wise for solo to work this way.

I can't think of a reason for the whole chain all the way to the master out not to be solo'd.

Perhaps it's because you can route to multiple buses at once?
My newest video explains all this and more.
https://youtu.be/4KCKC7jB8dY

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:19 pm

Ah yes I did watch that video Anthony, it made me think about the busing system and ask this question.

Would it be easier to have a single click solo for buses if there was no drawbacks? If yes then perhaps we can suggest this as a future change for Auria.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:21 pm

mtingle wrote:Ah yes I did watch that video Anthony, it made me think about the busing system and ask this question.

Would it be easier to have a single click solo for buses if there was no drawbacks? If yes then perhaps we can suggest this as a future change for Auria.
I get what your saying. This one click system would have to include the main sending track as otherwise there would be no signal to the bus. What makes this difficult is when your sending multiple tracks to that buss. Then the one click system would be more difficult as solong one would in essence solo them all. I think because the bussing system in AuriaPro can do so much that it makes this almost not possible. I'll have to give this some thought as to how this could work. Let me know if you have a solution as to how this one click system would work while still preserving the busses functions within AuriaPro. Cheers bro.

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:59 am

There are 2 basic situations, soloing a track and soloing a bus.

If a track is solo'd it would solo the bus (or buses) it is going to. That bus would not then solo all the other tracks that feed into it.

If a bus was solo'd it would solo all tracks that feed into that bus while respecting any muted tracks.

Thats how I anticipate the logic of soloing to work. Seems straightforward and I'm guessing its what most people would expect too.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:17 pm

mtingle wrote:There are 2 basic situations, soloing a track and soloing a bus.

If a track is solo'd it would solo the bus (or buses) it is going to. That bus would not then solo all the other tracks that feed into it.

If a bus was solo'd it would solo all tracks that feed into that bus while respecting any muted tracks.

Thats how I anticipate the logic of soloing to work. Seems straightforward and I'm guessing its what most people would expect too.
Well number 2 already exists as you can solo a bus and every track sent to that bus will be solo'd and it respects the muted channels.
As for number 1 this is already accomplished by the Subgroups. The reason that the busses act differently in this senario is because of the extended routing capabilities included in the bussing sytem. Example being you can record into a track from a bussed track but you can't record into a track fed from a Subgroup. Then theres the hardware routing of the bussing system. All in all we have every pro feature of a desktop daw routing already. Cheers and good discussion.

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:52 am

It's all a bit confusing at the moment.

solo bus respects mutes, solo subgroup doesn't
solo track that has bus = silence. solo track going to subgroup = audio

mute/un-mute bus remembers mutes, mute/ un-mute subgroup forgets previous mutes.

It's all a bit idiosyncratic at the moment. Room for improvement?