Removing or hiding SUB channels?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

wavemonk

Removing or hiding SUB channels?

Post by wavemonk » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:24 am

Hello all!

Is there a way to remove or hide some or all of the SUB channels? The reason why I want this is to have a more compact interface to work on where I have my master channel accessible along with the recording channels without having to scroll.

In general I feel that 8 subs is a bit overkill to begin with. It seems to presuppose a use scenario that maybe is not so common in scale for an iPad based production environment? I have been a professional in both music, and movie/TV sound post production (I am no longer active), and I don't think I ever used 8 SUB channels or busses despite some rather hefty productions now and then. But it is of course a question of style.

Anyway Auria is impressive, and I like very much, I am using Pro on an Air 2.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Removing or hiding SUB channels?

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:47 am

This topic has been covered many times in the forum and if you do a search you will find some very good reasons why the subgroups remain. In a nut shell, the new unlimited bussing system in AuriaPro was created because users wanted more subs than the eight. Any project over 10 tracks on an iPad Air2 requires you to scroll and most of the music producers in Auria exceed that many tracks. Unfortunately using a daw on iOS does not allow for moving windows, sizing windows, removing windows or window customization like a desktop PC/Mac. These are just some of the differences between iOS and desktop recording. Lastely the subgroups shares the same PsP master channel strip so you can send all your tracks to subgroup 1 and never have to visit the master channel and subgroup 1 is right next to your last track in your project, little to no scrolling. If you purchase the iPad Pro 12.9" than you have a much larger display at once of your project especially with the pro optimization feature. So there are options out that allow you a different workflow in iOS recording that don't require the developer to re-write the entire apps GUI which is a ton of code and could take ages to write. Cheers.

wavemonk

Re: Removing or hiding SUB channels?

Post by wavemonk » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:13 pm

Thank you for your reply. I do not think you make a relevant case against my suggestion that the number of SUB groups could be configurable, though. The UI already supports adding and removing strips, so this would be rather easy to implement. The fact that this has been covered "many times" here seems to indicate that it is an issue after all. Your suggestion that I run everything through SUB 1 is fine, I have done it a couple of times, and the iPad Pro is definitely a plan too, but even on a larger screen I would be interested in minimizing the amount of not used interface clutter to a minimum. :)