Audio quantize

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

BennieTonini
Expert

Audio quantize

Post by BennieTonini » Sun May 08, 2016 5:09 pm

Hi!

I'm having a great time exploring this and deeper in the rabbit hole it goes!
I have a guitar track which is somewhat "offbeat" if you will and I was trying to
pull it straight with "audio quantize" But this gives somewhat a distorted arrangement.
How is this function usable in a proper way? How to use this correctly?
I used the warp instead and transient markers to pull the waveform on the beat.

Greetings,

Bennie :mrgreen:

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Audio quantize

Post by Rim » Mon May 09, 2016 5:56 am

Quantize functionality in DAWs only works if your source track was already "played to a click". In other words, it needs to be close enough to the beats to allow quantizing to fix it. All quantize does is move every note to the closest beat division (or whatever quantize resolution you have set). So the notes have to be close enough to where they were supposed to be.

Rim

BennieTonini
Expert

Post by BennieTonini » Mon May 09, 2016 3:45 pm

Thank you Rim.

Does it mean the click track had to be on while recording?
Does the program need the click on if you use Audio Quantize?
Is it more useful for lets say drums because the waveform is somewhat busy with guitar?

My guitar player friend did not like the click hearing while recording
so even after a lot of adjustments of the volume of the click we decided to get rid of it.

Maybe he needs to get used to the sound. Because it was off beat all over the place.
But I am no guitar player so I have no right to speak how he plays his stuff haha.
I only record it but I can't put a beat under it later because it is swaying everywhere.
If I let him play on a simple beat loop made on a drumcomputer he likes it more than the sound
of the click.

Are there any others on this forum who use this function a lot?
Or is manually adjusting with the warp function and transients the best way to do this?

BTW: I love the time stretching feature even more! Great balls of fire!
:mrgreen:

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon May 09, 2016 10:04 pm

What I'm trying to say is that all DAWs work like this, not just Auria. Quantize is something that only works if the original audio was close to being perfect (like if your quitarist listened to a click). If he didn't listen to a click while you recorded his parts, then using quantize won't work properly, because it will guess wrong for each note.

Rim

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Tue May 10, 2016 2:45 am

BennieTonini wrote: Or is manually adjusting with the warp function and transients the best way to do this?
Generally adjusting manually is much more reliable. It's more work of course but you are always going to do a better job than the algorithm, because you can listen and adjust to what's needed.

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Thu May 12, 2016 1:16 pm

I had a nightmare when I started quantising. A recording engineer where we rehearse kept on about me playing to a click track and now I do that all the time - even live - so I am tighter in general and quantising works better.

I mainly play drums, but also do some guitar. I find it can work really well to tighten up drums but if you're not close to the beat then it's a disaster, hence I practiced lots to a click track.

Like your friend, I don't like doing guitar tracks to a click so I tend to do drums and bass and then guitars over that. The thing with quantising very syncopated or deliberately 'off' parts (which applies to guitar and some drum parts) is that if your sub divisions of quantising are too big then you lose the rhythm. If you have to use a very fine quantising setting then you have to be extremely precise with your playing or the algorithm 'corrects' to the bit before or after and it sounds worse than when you started. I had this problem on one of my tracks and I abandoned quantising.

I clearly need a better drummer :lol:

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

djanton73

Post by djanton73 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:38 am

I agree. Been doing this feature recently on the editing session. However, move the transient marker manually have been more promising. But, I have questions. I've just recorded 8 vox tracks separately, use this feature (I'm using Warp) and when it applied to the 3th or the 4th track or and so on, Auria has been crashed occasionally. Have been reportedly many times when the error dialog box appeared. Is there a bug? My CPU indicator usage shows only 10 - 11%. I'm using iPad Air 2 128GB.

And, what is the differences between Warp mode and Trn mode? Can you assist how to use these features properly?
Rim wrote:Quantize functionality in DAWs only works if your source track was already "played to a click". In other words, it needs to be close enough to the beats to allow quantizing to fix it. All quantize does is move every note to the closest beat division (or whatever quantize resolution you have set). So the notes have to be close enough to where they were supposed to be.

Rim

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:26 am

Trn mode is where you create or see the transient markers. In this mode you can place the markers, move them around to where you want them, snap them to the grid for use in audio quantization.
Warp mode, In this mode you can take a transient marker now coloured yellow and move just that marker and time stretch the audio within the two markers. Meaning that you can take a single note of a bass guitar and move the marker to snap to the grid and just that one note gets moved in timing without changing the note sound or timbre or frequency. Wave machine labs made a good intro video just on this topic. There are others out there too. Its also explained well in the manual. Cheers

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:14 am

Hey Anthony, I had a little bit of trouble finding specific videos on this topic in Auria Pro. I didn't know if you had any video on this already or were working on one yourself.. since I'm a huge fan of your extremely helpful videos! :D

As I'm laying down drums tracks currently (16 simultaneous) to a click, I'm not perfect...so having a really strong grasp of how to do this would help immensely. I'm currently learning but am in the beginning stages. Reading through the manual too but videos also help to solidify the info, in my opinion.

Thanks for your (or anyones) help!

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:17 am

Here's a basic walk-through of audio warping that I posted on the Audiobus forum:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comm ... ent_182293

Tourniquet
Expert

Post by Tourniquet » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:01 pm

Maybe he needs to get used to the sound. Because it was off beat all over the place.
But I am no guitar player so I have no right to speak how he plays his stuff haha.
I only record it but I can't put a beat under it later because it is swaying everywhere.
If I let him play on a simple beat loop made on a drumcomputer he likes it more than the sound
of the click.
This is what I do. I hate the click track more than almost anything. If Auria had a different "Click" sound, I may be able to use it. I don't know what it is about the digital sounding click that drives me nuts, I can't keep a beat to it to save my life. I love to use a Snare drum, with the first beat a Kick drum to differentiate.

I record a whole drum track, sometimes it's what I have put together in Rock DM, or another app. But mostly Rock DM. Sometimes it's the actual drummin I will use for the song, sometimes it's just a simple beat to use as a "click" track.

So, I basically turn the click off, and just use the drum track I created as the click track. Works waaay better for me. Though I am still not perfect. I don't understand the quantizing stuff, the posts in this thread helped, and the link richardyot posted I've read a lot. It just hasn't clicked for me yet. Compression took awhile, but I finally got it. Hopefully this will come to.

Side note, I used to play in a band where the drummer was nice enough? Good enough? To actually follow me playing the guitar. lol.....