Mono vs Stereo Tracks

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

ljmaxx

Mono vs Stereo Tracks

Post by ljmaxx » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:53 pm

Hello to all! I am new to Auria Pro installed on my Ipad Air 2. I created a new project with 8 tracks but when I record vox they are only going to the left side. The pan will not center the vocal. Is there a way to change track from stereo to mono with out adding an additional track?

I also have a problem with the vocal sounding very tin like. I have been recording for 30+ years but this is all new to me. For vocal mics I have a few Neumanns, Blue Blueberry and Bottle Rocket and too many others to mention. I am using a Focusrite Itrack Dock to learn how all of this works :? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Corey W
Expert

Re: Mono vs Stereo Tracks

Post by Corey W » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:08 pm

There is no way currently to directly change a stereo track into mono. It would be easiest if you just created mono audio tracks if you are going to be recording one mono mic to that channel.

As far as the mic signal sounding tinny, have you tried a different XLR cable to connect your mic to the iTrack dock?

Do you have the PSP channel strip EQ on with any strange settings and/or HPF set high?

Aeron
Expert

Post by Aeron » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:15 pm

Before deleting the track and starting again, try soloing the track, then mix down as WAV file, choose mono and select to import the track. That should give you a mono track. Thats what I have done in the past but not tried it if there is a stereo effect plugin active on the track which may prevent a mix down to mono but like I said, I haven't tried that so only guessing.

ljmaxx

Post by ljmaxx » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:50 pm

Aeron wrote:Before deleting the track and starting again, try soloing the track, then mix down as WAV file, choose mono and select to import the track. That should give you a mono track. Thats what I have done in the past but not tried it if there is a stereo effect plugin active on the track which may prevent a mix down to mono but like I said, I haven't tried that so only guessing.
I will try what you suggest. It just seems strange that when recording to a track there is not a way to select if the track will be stereo or mono. Maybe that feature is one of the short comings of Auria Pro.

ljmaxx

Post by ljmaxx » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:56 pm

Corey W wrote:There is no way currently to directly change a stereo track into mono. It would be easiest if you just created mono audio tracks if you are going to be recording one mono mic to that channel.

As far as the mic signal sounding tinny, have you tried a different XLR cable to connect your mic to the iTrack dock?

Do you have the PSP channel strip EQ on with any strange settings and/or HPF set high?
I have tried different XLR Cables with the same results. The only effect I have turned on is classic reverb and less than a second delay. Even with no effect the vox still sound strange to my ear. I am considering getting rid of the Itrack Dock and buy this http://tinyurl.com/hg7mnw2 It may be that is the problem.

Aeron
Expert

Post by Aeron » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:21 pm

Mono/Stereo is chosen when you add a track. It may default to Stereo and it is easy to forget to check that sometimes.

I used to have an itrack dock and never had any quality issues with the signal. I have used Alesis io dock and currently using Alesis iomix which is 4 channel. Recently I bought Tascam 16x8 which has 16 channels but haven't got around to using it properly yet. I haven't had issues with any of them really other than the io mix not charging the iPad which i think started happening when iOS 10 came out.

ljmaxx

Post by ljmaxx » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:38 pm

Aeron wrote:Mono/Stereo is chosen when you add a track. It may default to Stereo and it is easy to forget to check that sometimes.

I used to have an itrack dock and never had any quality issues with the signal. I have used Alesis io dock and currently using Alesis iomix which is 4 channel. Recently I bought Tascam 16x8 which has 16 channels but haven't got around to using it properly yet. I haven't had issues with any of them really other than the io mix not charging the iPad which i think started happening when iOS 10 came out.
I have not updated to ios 10 yet because of the complaints from the ipad recording FB Page.

JRSIV
Expert

Post by JRSIV » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:11 am

Corey W wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:08 pm
...There is no way currently to directly change a stereo track into mono. It would be easiest if you just created mono audio tracks if you are going to be recording one mono mic to that channel...

I know this thread is from February 2017 & it's now August 2017 but the subject and this quote fit my question perfectly.

I've always wanted a simple stereo track to mono track process in Auria like so many other DAW's have. I've switched to Auria exclusively and love it, so I'm not bitching, its just in these days of apps kicking everything out in export as stereo .WAV's it would make things easier when wanting to use a mono AU effect or just have the snare drum in mono!

Tonight I tried what works on a few other DAW's I've used, just for sheets & gigs. I took a stereo region, dragged it to an empty mono track... and boom, while the waveform still shows the two waves for a stereo track, the output is MONO, with the meter unsplit and mono AU's like AudioDamage's RoughRider worked great, where on stereo tracks it just outputs to one side.

Is this something Corey & Rim know about, or other users. I don't mind the waveform still "appearing" in stereo as long as the output is mono (by the way, the mixer doesn't show the 'stereo rings' above the channel meter either. I have wanted this feature forever and just to stumble upon it is almost making me second guess it.... anyone else ever discover this before?
JRSIV's Studio V uses Auria Pro v2.33 on an iPad Air 5 (2022) 256GB w/iPadOS 16.3
Other gear includes: Tascam US-2x2 interface, Behringer UMC404HD interface, TC Electronics SOLO, Sony MDR-7506 headphones

ljmaxx

Post by ljmaxx » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:45 am

Interesting reply to say the least. I have been adding tracks for vocals and when doing so choose mono The way Auria Pro is currently the vocals are always either left or right depending on which track I use. I will try what you did and it should eliminate me having to add additional mono tracks.

gobo

Post by gobo » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:13 am

JRSIV wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:11 am
Is this something Corey & Rim know about, or other users.... anyone else ever discover this before?
Yes, same here.
Good to know.

JRSIV
Expert

Post by JRSIV » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:58 am

I did a few more experiments with this method and recorded percussion with one conga full left and another panned full right; when dragging this stereo track to an empty mono track both congas hit the same db's in mono as they had in extreme stereo.

So in my opinion this technique produces a genuine stereo fold down to mono, whether that's just an internal Auria routing consequence or the file is changed to mono I'm not sure. Since the waveform still shows two waves I would guess it's an Auria internal mixing thing that's summing the two sides, but EITHER WAY, it achieves the desired effect: changing the output of a stereo file to genuine summed mono.
JRSIV's Studio V uses Auria Pro v2.33 on an iPad Air 5 (2022) 256GB w/iPadOS 16.3
Other gear includes: Tascam US-2x2 interface, Behringer UMC404HD interface, TC Electronics SOLO, Sony MDR-7506 headphones