Buying a new iPad, recommendations.

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Renfield
Expert

Buying a new iPad, recommendations.

Post by Renfield » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:25 pm

My iPad 2 is quite old and doesn't work as it should do anymore and I'm thinking of buying a new iPad so I can install Auria Pro. However I can't afford a brand new one so I'm going to have to buy an used one. Are iPad 4 or iPad air 2 strong enough to run Auria Pro or should I search for a newer generation?

Gary
Expert

Re: Buying a new iPad, recommendations.

Post by Gary » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:34 pm

I'm using an Air 2. Seems to run Auria Pro and many plug-ins ok.

Rudo
Expert

Post by Rudo » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:39 pm

Gary wrote:I'm using an Air 2. Seems to run Auria Pro and many plug-ins ok.
+1

Kites
Expert

Post by Kites » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:12 pm

IPad Pro, the extra retail space is incredibly worth it for many apps including Auria pro. Or wait for the 2nd gen. :wink:

Rusko
Expert

Post by Rusko » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:13 pm

Heya, Renfield--

Over the years, I've gone from an iPad 2 to an Air 2 (128GB) to my current iPad Pro (256GB)...Auria on all (and Auria Pro on the Air and Pro).

I'm like absolutely everyone else on the "normal plane of financial existence", and money's always the big issue.

You could get the Air2, certainly. I squeezed one helluva lot of creative juice out of Auria with it, including my largest and most extensive recording and mixing project. (A song called "jANE"--it's over on the user song submissions forum. It took around 2 months, and while I did break it down into sub-projects to record various parts for later full song mixing, I did have projects running 19 tracks (some frozen) with a lot of inserts.)

At the same time, if you could find a deal on a used iPad Pro with huge capacity you'll never regret the big increase in power, RAM, GPU, and space. It depends on your bottom-line needs and what you can/will pay to meet them, right?

That being said, I always remind myself that I started recording (in 1987!) on a 4-track cassette thing that I couldn't even bounce tracks on; volume, pan, no sends. Its limitations forced me to be creative, and that was actually irreplaceable experience!

cheers,
Nick

Renfield
Expert

Post by Renfield » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:26 pm

Thanks for answers!

Nick, I totally agree that limitations is very good for learning and it's a great drive for creativity. The problem I've got is that it's almost impossible to have another app running the same time that Auria is running. So I can't use BIAS or Sample Tank or any other of my great apps.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:59 pm

I'm essentially all audio, and my songs range from 8-20 tracks, each with plugs/inserts. I'm using a 128 gig Air 2, and I've yet to feel the need for anything more. So far, it's been perfect for what I need it to do.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:31 pm

I was using an air 2, and no problems. The bigger pro has extra memory, which would be great. I just bought a refurb pro 9.7 inch, because I like the smaller size. I get a work allowance for devices, and I was able to give the air 2 to my wife. I got a slightly newer machine, and I got it with 128 gigs. But really, the processor is a small upgrade. You'll be fine.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:11 pm

The difference between the iPad 2 and the Air 2 is unreal.

Renfield
Expert

Post by Renfield » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:27 am

Thanks again for all the answers! Then an iPad air 2 seems to be the best option.

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:43 pm

Replies have helped me too. Does anyone know of a good way to keep your kids from using your iPad too? :lol:

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

Rubooch

Post by Rubooch » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:04 pm

Bob Amser wrote:Replies have helped me too. Does anyone know of a good way to keep your kids from using your iPad too? :lol:
Buy them their own iPads too!

claudel
Expert

Post by claudel » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:00 am

"After I bought this new computer I see that it is too fast and has too much memory and screen space."

Said nobody, ever...

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:35 am

claudel wrote:"After I bought this new computer I see that it is too fast and has too much memory and screen space."

Said nobody, ever...
:lol: