ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

stanbrubaker

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

Post by stanbrubaker » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:41 pm

How do I fill in the gaps between audio vocal clips to match the background noise?

I spent many weeks doing a complicated professional video for my company, with lots of Photoshop work, animations, etc. Then I recorded the full four-minute narration for it in Auria Pro (what fun!), with just a bit of reverb, and cut it into 34 clips so I could line them up perfectly, time-wise, with the video.

I love the way my voice turned out, but now if I turn the volume way up, while listening with my headphones, I can hear the "dry" silence between my slightly "wet" vocals clips— kind of an On-Off-On-Off distraction. Do I need to go back and redo all the cutting and lining up with my vocals totally DRY, and THEN add reverb to the whole four minutes? Or is there an easier way, since I spent most of a day aligning all the narration clips with their animations?

For example, I think Reaper had a feature that would let me "sample" background noise and then copy it where needed. Guess I could do a mixdown, and take my .wav file into Reaper and try it there, but does Auria Pro have something like that?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Duckmandu
Expert

Post by Duckmandu » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:14 am

So I'm trying to do multi track recording with Audiobus and Auria. Is soon as everything is set up, I get no sound at all! Not from Auria playing back the last track record of, not from the new synth - nothing. The transport is moving, the meter shows a signal but I hear nothing.

Any thoughts?

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:45 pm

Stanbrubaker...

If I've read your post right, there's background noise on your voiceover and now that you've sliced it up, the background noise is noticeably there when you're talking, then audibly goes away, making it sound a bit rubbish.

I'm not aware of a function for re-creating background noise, but would suggest two possible workarounds.

1. If you want the background noise: record your voiceover with a single take by having the current, sliced voiceover visible on the track view whilst you're recording. You will see the waveforms coming, so you can time your start times from that. Shouldn't take long. Then delete the sliced up track.

2. If you don't want the background noise: forgive me if you know this already, but if it's not too loud, that's what the low pass filter is for. Experiment with different settings until the background noise can't be heard. Sometimes, if background noise is too loud, getting rid of it altogether makes the audio you want sound weird. The only option I could then suggest is re-recording it in a quieter room. Make sure you stuff things in any air gaps around doors etc, or try to get access to a really quiet place. Sometimes I spend ages messing with a recording when re-taking it is better and quicker.

I may have missed the point, though, if so, I apologise. All the best with it.

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

Dylan Bob

Post by Dylan Bob » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:33 pm

Hello.

what are some of the most efficient (fastest ) methods the experts use in auria pro to line up kick drum and bass parts so they are in sync. These are not midi tracks but recorded instruments. I know I could split, cut, paste, and move parts to line up but this is quite tedious.

Thanks in advance

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:43 am

Dylan Bob wrote:Hello.

what are some of the most efficient (fastest ) methods the experts use in auria pro to line up kick drum and bass parts so they are in sync. These are not midi tracks but recorded instruments. I know I could split, cut, paste, and move parts to line up but this is quite tedious.

Thanks in advance
Right so what you use in audio to quantize because that is what you're doing here whenever you want some audio to lock up to the tempo of the project. Transient markers are used in AuriaPro so if that is what you own you can quantize your audio tracks. You can also place the track into warp and move the transient markers yourself and have them snap to a value that your choose. So if you set the snap to 1/8 note when you move the transient by hand it will automatically snap to the nearest 1/8 beat on the time line. Oh and not to be too funny but the fastest and most efficient way to line up a kick and bass part is to have the musician play on time...lol :lol: :lol:

jimhenry
Expert

Post by jimhenry » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:20 pm

Hi-

I posted this in general discussion but figured I post it here too:

Upon doing the loopback test on two different interfaces multiple times I'm finding the latency offset number to be in the -90 to -100 sample range every time. Is that an acceptable amount...meaning it's no big deal and I shouldn't worry about it? Should I calibrate every time? I'd love some clarification/validation about what a reasonable range is...thanks in advance...jim

Bullabs

Post by Bullabs » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:28 pm

Hello,
I use Auria Pro with my apogee Duet with my band and I have some questions about using two outputs with Auria.

I have 3 tracks to send,
Track 1 is a Click track
Track 2 is a bass track
Track 3 is a synth and FX track

I have to send track 1 and track 2 to the drummer (with the phone output of the Duet) and send track 2 and track 3 to the line output.

The problem appears when I have to send track 2 at low volume for the drummer, and high volume for the line output.
So this is what I've done, but I have to use 5 busses to achieve my goal, I don't know if there is a way to do this more efficiently:

Thanks for your advices
Attachments
IMG_0062.jpg

Sound Wavy Davy

Can I turn off midi through, during recording ?

Post by Sound Wavy Davy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:15 pm

I am recording midi from a keyboard.
The midi data from the keyboard, comes into Auria (for recording), passes through and is routed back to the keyboard (for playback).

I need to prevent midi data coming from my keyboard internally and Auria eternally, at the same time, because it is causing glitches in keyboard output.

The keyboard I am using has no "local midi mode off" capability.
If I turn off all midi going to keyboard (or unplug the midi cable), then I can not hear previously recorded midi tracks, while recording new tracks.

Can I turn off midi through, in Auria, during recording?
So the midi being recorded, is not passed through to the outputs, during recording.
Similar to the "record monitor" feature (for audio) in the record/settings menu.

Thanks for any help with this.

Adi89

Post by Adi89 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:50 am

Why do you do this? I can not take anything. But only in this project.

Cyril777
Expert

Post by Cyril777 » Sat May 06, 2017 6:15 pm

I think I've got a rather simple question and it would really help me to know the answer: besides an audio interface inputs, does Auria automatically always record in stereo, even with mono sources loaded in mono (created) tracks ?
If I develop just a little bit, whether it's a drum app like Patterning (with its 8 mono tracks loaded as IAA instrument in 8 mono tracks), a mono synth (as an IAA instrument too), or AUM outputs, the mono tracks on Auria turn into stereo tracks as soon as I press record, though the level meter modulating after arming the tracks was obviously mono...?
Thank you for any kind of help !

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon May 08, 2017 6:46 pm

Unfortunately all IAA plugins record in stereo. You can mix the track down to mono using the mixdown function. Its an iOS thing and that is one of its drawbacks. Auria will record any audio or lyra or AU3 in mono or stereo but not any iOS app inseted into an audio channel ( IAA) . All midi is in stereo tracks. Once again you can mix the midi track to mono once you bounce the track in place and change it to an audio track. Cheers

sELF
Expert

Behringer X 18/AUM/Auria Pro

Post by sELF » Mon May 08, 2017 8:07 pm

Hi,
I am just looking for any opinions or tips, regarding the use of Pro R or Timeless in AUM. As Fabfilter have not yet delivered my dream of AU/IAA plug versions yet. I use my X 18 as my audio/midi interface for my hardware synths etc. And I'm wondering how realistic I am, in hoping to be able to use the Pro R, on one stereo channel coming in from my X18. I haven't bought Pro R yet. But I'm looking forward to using it. I do my multi track recording in AUM normally, for simplicity and for the sake of reliability. With my iPad Pro 12.9, I'll be piping around three or four stereo channels into AUM. And probably not much else going on with my iPad. Except my idea of using Auria/Fabfilter on a couple of channels in AUM. Rather than adding reverb afterwards, ideally. As this will be setting the ambience for the track I'm recording. The X 18 has some good reverb models. But you can't beat Fabfilter, in my opinion. I record HQ, 32 bit, 48k in AUM. With AUM setting a buffer of 1024 normally. I like the simplicity of generating my live mixdown audio files like this. Then importing things into Auria later. I guess Pro R is going to be quite taxing, with Auria in the background. But it's good to dream. As I do several takes sometimes, I'm not happy up till now, with doing all of this in Auria. I must have got burnt sometime ago. And rely on Auria for my post production :D

chriscurrie

Post by chriscurrie » Sun May 21, 2017 1:01 am

I am using the Future Drummer app. I'm doing something wrong because, although Future Drummer sounds great when programming/playing patterns, when I hook it up to Auria - via the Channel Strip Insert - everything sounds distorted. I've tried lowering the 'record level' but that doesn't make any difference. When I record and play back the distortion is still there. Not sure what else to try?

[EDIT]
Well, I turned the master volume down in the 'Mixer' area and back up to where it was and that sorted it... odd...

dirkacts

Post by dirkacts » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:44 pm

I'm having issues with Auria Pro and DrumPerfect Pro. I have mapped the 16 drum instruments to 16 different tracks in Auria Pro. My first track in Auria Pro is midi and sending to these 16 stereo channels. It works great until I close out of my session and return the next day. When I do return, I find that my mappings are a mess. Some tracks are no longer mapped at all. Some of the tracks that are still mapped don't produce any sound. I'm using this on an iPad Air.

dirkacts

Post by dirkacts » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:45 pm

I'm having issues with Auria Pro and DrumPerfect Pro. I have mapped the 16 drum instruments to 16 different tracks in Auria Pro. My first track in Auria Pro is midi and sending to these 16 stereo channels. When I am recording my midi to audio, Auria Pro misses the first measure of the drum track. Is there a way to avoid this or do I just need to include an extra measure in my midi that is blank to account for the lost measure?