Brand new, 3 questions.

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Austinn

Brand new, 3 questions.

Post by Austinn » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:14 pm

Hey guys, I'm brand new to Auria and so far, I'm loving it. It's really a great DAW for the iOS, but of course, I'm getting used to things and have some questions.
1. For the first week and a half using the app, I was able to get the buffer size up to 4096 which allows the program to run pretty smooth on the iPad mini. For the last few days, it's been limiting my buffer size to 512 and not letting me change it. What would the reason for this be?
2. I'm using a Focusrite iTrack Dock for an interface and a Yamaha keyboard with a sustain pedal, when using midi with an armed track, I can hear the sustain perfectly coming through the app, but when I replay a recorded session, the sustain is gone. Why is it doing that and how can I change it?
3. When recording a longer midi note, if I replay the session in the middle of the note, the note doesn't play at all. Is there any way to fix this?

Jmcmillan

Re: Brand new, 3 questions.

Post by Jmcmillan » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:18 pm

I'm a little new to Auria but will share what I know (other please correct me if I'm wrong):
1. Do you have MIDI tracks in the project? If so, I think IOS limits you to 512 MAX for MIDI. If only audio and no MIDI, you can go above this. There's also a way to set a separate record sample rate in the settings.
2. Double tap on the MIDI clip and in the pull down menu toward the top of the screen (it should say "NOTES") select CC #64 SUSTAIN. If there is some data there, it should look like a square wave, recording your pedal up and down. If it's not there then for some reason it didn't get recorded from the controller. You can manually draw it in until you figure out the reason why.
3. I think there might not be a way to fix this. If the play head is in the middle of a long sustaining note, then it won't get the "NOTE ON" message and therefore won't sound (I might be wrong about how this works)

Good luck and happy music making...I'm having fun with Auria Pro so far. It's taking me some time to learn but I like it.

Austinn

Post by Austinn » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:11 pm

Wow thanks! You just answered all my questions! Is there any way to temporarily disable midi tracks (without deleting them) so that you can increase the buffer size?

King
Expert

Post by King » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:50 pm

Austinn wrote:?.. Is there any way to temporarily disable midi tracks (without deleting them) so that you can increase the buffer size?

Hey @Austinn,

Freezing the track will do what you need/want.

In the channel strip there is a button with a snow flake on it (below the inserts). Press this for MIDI tracks and you can then change the buffer size.
The more MIDI notes, plugins and length of the track to be frozen, the longer it will take to freeze.
This button also works for Audio tracks, and can help to regain some system resources (by *"temporarily" disabling plugins etc).
Simply pressing this button again will un-freeze that track.

*temporarily: of course this can also be permanent, if you so desire. You don't have to un-freeze any track, unless you need to modify/edit or move the track etc.

Enjoy!

King
_____________________________1 Luv_____________________________

_____________________________King____________________________

Austinn

Post by Austinn » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:36 am

Ok, so what does freezing do other than increase buffer size? Does it make it so I can't edit it or is it actually disabled?

King
Expert

Post by King » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:18 am

Austinn wrote:Ok, so what does freezing do other than increase buffer size? Does it make it so I can't edit it or is it actually disabled?

King said:

1. "... and can help to regain some system resources (by *"temporarily" disabling plugins etc)."

2. "You don't have to un-freeze any track, unless you need to modify/edit ..."

--------------------

Freezing creates a 'Mixdown' of/on the track. So all that is happening on that track including plugins, MIDI data, automation etc etc, will be mixed into an 'Audio-file', and that new Audio file will be automatically inserted on the track in the same position (until you un-freeze).

King
Last edited by King on Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Austinn

Post by Austinn » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:34 am

Ok thanks, uhmmmm, I just recorded my midi part again and tried to use the sustain 64 and it still doesn't work. . . .

King
Expert

Post by King » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:41 am

Someone with a similar setup to yours, would have to help you out there.

8)

King

Austinn

Post by Austinn » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:11 am

Oh! Never mind, I figured it out. Thanks!

King
Expert

Post by King » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:52 am

Austinn wrote:Oh! Never mind, I figured it out. Thanks!
That's good!

It may be useful to others if you post your findings (up to you).

King

Austinn

Post by Austinn » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:26 am

Oh, right! Well, it was a similar to question 3. I have to replay the midi before the sustain is engaged in order for it to register and sound. It was probably obvious , but I'm farely new to midi recording.