Core Midi with SampleTank [SOLVED]

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Jmcmillan

Core Midi with SampleTank [SOLVED]

Post by Jmcmillan » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:31 am

Yesterday was trying to use multiple instrument from SampleTank since it is Multitymbral. I set them up with Core Midi, using the MIDI data on the channel in Auria to play the instrument on separate MIDI channels in SampleTank. I just bought the Miroslav 1 sound library from SampleTank, so I wanted to use it's functionality. I have become disillusioned with SoundFonts for Lyra and Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra as mentioned in my previous posts.

Anyway to my question. I found that the channel slider, channel strip and insert effects had no effect on the sound while using core MIDI. I suspect this is because the Audio is only in the SampleTank app and not in Auria for it to have any effect. Is this true?

If so, do I have to then route the audio from SampleTank back to Auria on another channel using Audiobus something similar?

Then also, this makes using core MIDI not so convenient. Then it would be better to use Auria instruments only, or AU inserts, if it ever really catches on.

So then, will Auria get better instruments to use than the ones currently provided?!? I will pay for them as in app purchases.

Or - will AU catch on and more apps can be applied this way?

Thanks for any input from anyone having similar issues.
Thanks and happy New Year!
Jon McMillan
Last edited by Jmcmillan on Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Core Midi with SampleTank

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:14 pm

Core midi plays the audio of a music app in the background and is not plugged into Auria or any other iOS daw. So that is why applying FX yeilds not effect on the audio you are hearing. Once you have your midi recorded, create an audio track and insert Sampletank as an IAA plugin on that track. Now on the midi track where the midi is recorded, tap FX and set the midi output to Sampletank Core Midi. You will see it also says SampleTank under midi output to plugin but it will revert to Core Midi if you try to select it. But by simply playing the midi track and Sampletank inserted into the audio track as an IAA, you will hear Sampletank if the audio track is in record ready mode. You can add any plugin FX that you like in that audio track and it will effect the tracks audio. However you cannot use the channel strip of that track to add eq,compression or expander, you must use a plugin. If you want to use both channel strip dynamics and plugins simply send the audio track out to a bus and create another audio track and select that bus as its input. Now you can use both the channel strip and plugins and they will both effect the tracks audio. Just press record/play when youre ready to capture the audio. Remember if you want the recorded audio to include the FX, select record FX by holding down the tracks record light for a second and this option pops up. Or you can use bounce track in place in the options menu to combine everything. Cheers and good luck. I have a video on this exact topic on my youtube channel using sampletank.

Jmcmillan

Post by Jmcmillan » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:53 am

Thank you! I will try that later this evening.
It sounds like quite a lot of setting up and routing, but I understand why the signal has to be routed this way.
Maybe I will try to find a good oboe sound from SSO or another free orchestral library and load it into LYRA.

The Cello sound I'm using from Miroslav in sample tank is good, but maybe the SSO sample that's included in Lyra will suffice. It would sure make the signal routing much simpler and I could keep the MIDI and FX live for easy tweaking before final mixdown.

Thanks again!
Jon

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:16 pm

Jmcmillan wrote:Thank you! I will try that later this evening.
It sounds like quite a lot of setting up and routing, but I understand why the signal has to be routed this way.
Maybe I will try to find a good oboe sound from SSO or another free orchestral library and load it into LYRA.

The Cello sound I'm using from Miroslav in sample tank is good, but maybe the SSO sample that's included in Lyra will suffice. It would sure make the signal routing much simpler and I could keep the MIDI and FX live for easy tweaking before final mixdown.

Thanks again!
Jon
Everything remains live until you press record. So you can adjust the midi track and any FX until your satisfied that the sound you have is ready to capture. It's not like once you insert Sampletank into the audio track that you must press record, thats not the case. You just leave the track in record ready mode to monitor Sampletanks audio combined with the FX on that channel. Again you can make any changes that you wish. Cheers and hope that helps. AuriaPros bussing was created by Rim to overcome iOS Daw limitations thats why its the most powerful daw on iOS and probably why so many producers use it. I can usually set this type of mixing setup in less than 10 sec. lol. Good luck.

Jmcmillan

Re: Core Midi with SampleTank [SOLVED]

Post by Jmcmillan » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:47 pm

Thanks for the quick reply!
OK, got it. I watched your video as well, where you copy the midi to another track and then bounce in place, so I understand the workflow a little better now.

I agree Auria is the best DAW on iPad. I was thinking about giving up on it because I wanted to try Orchestral arrangements, but Lyra did not have too much in the way of orchestral instruments, and there aren't any apps that are very good for orchestral stuff (except maybe SampleTank with Miroslav).

I was going to bite the bullet and get a Windows 10 PC and get Kontakt or something...but I'm going to stick with Lyra and some free soundfonts for now until I exhaust that route. Kontakt is expensive.

I wish there was better orchestral stuff for the iPad...