Only one instance of Bias FX?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

niallobrien

Only one instance of Bias FX?

Post by niallobrien » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:01 am

Hi all, I'm a new user and I'm unsure if there's something I'm doing wrong but when I add an instance of Bias FX to the insert of a track, it works fine. I then pan it and move on to double track. However, as soon as I add Bias FX to the other track, it disappears off the first one. The only way I've found to make it work is to freeze the tracks, but this is hardly ideal...

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.

King
Expert

Re: Only one instance of Bias FX?

Post by King » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:07 am

Hey @niallobrien,

Just to be clear, you are talking about the (IAA) Bias Fx, by Positive Grid? (Not JamUp)

If so, you are only able to load 1 single instance of 'Any' Inter App Audio (IAA) app.
This goes for any scenario, be it 'Standalone' or within a host such as Auria/Pro.
This limitation, is one of the reasons why Audio Unit (AUv3) is taking, and will take over - and very welcome it is.

Good-ish news is, the makers of Bias Fx, also do a plugin within Auria/Pro called 'JamUp', this may be what you need. You can then have as many instances as your Pad can handle. ;)
Also within Auria there is a similar plugin, - Overloud's ’THM’. Both of these are available via IAP's in the Auria Store..

Enjoy!

King
_____________________________1 Luv_____________________________

_____________________________King____________________________

niallobrien

Post by niallobrien » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:12 pm

Yeah, I'm using Bias FX and have a couple of presets that include amp modifications from Bias. JamUp isn't really what I want to use as I also use Bias FX as my live guitar rig (through a Magnum44 poweramp and midi pedalboard into an iRig Pro) and Bias FX simply does much more. So right now the only solution is to freeze or print the tracks if I really want to use Bias FX? That kinda sucks big time...

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:32 pm

There is nothing that the Auria developer could do to remedy this. IAA is an Apple standard, not Auria's. You should email Positive Grid and ask them to release update BIAS FX with AU support, so you can load multiple instances. Perhaps they will listen lots of users - you included - lobby for that.

King
Expert

Post by King » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:42 pm

This ^.

The only other thing I can suggest (apart from 'Freezing' or track 'Mixdowns') is, if you don't mind using the same preset for X and X track, you can use Bias Fx as an 'Aux Effect'. (Send)

At this time, this is just how things are, but believe me, thiings are a lot better than they were. (iOS)

"The things we get used to"

King
_____________________________1 Luv_____________________________

_____________________________King____________________________

niallobrien

Post by niallobrien » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:54 am

Thanks guys, I guess in one way it will force me to commit to sounds/tones a lot more. I've always felt an "analysis paralysis" when working on the desktop, simply due to the amount of options always available to me. If needed I guess I can unfreeze tracks and try different options, it's just far from ideal of course. Does the IAP of JamUp Pro have this limitation? Though I'm not too keen about purchasing that and its IAP as I already have everything for Bias FX.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:59 am

Personally I much prefer the tones in the Overloud THM IAP than the Jamup one, so would recommend that instead. It allows for multiple instances in Auria.

niallobrien

Post by niallobrien » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:18 pm

Got anything I can hear?
richardyot wrote:Personally I much prefer the tones in the Overloud THM IAP than the Jamup one, so would recommend that instead. It allows for multiple instances in Auria.

Tourniquet
Expert

Post by Tourniquet » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:32 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVN_4fGJrqg

I like THM, but I prefer Bias FX too. Derek makes THM sound really good though. I can't get these kinda tones out of it. :(

niallobrien

Post by niallobrien » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:09 pm

I'm sorry, but for hi-gain stuff, it's difficult to beat Bias FX (and Bias). Tonestack comes close, but as I wanted to use my iPad as my live amp rig with a midi pedal board (Magnum44 poweramp into Marshall 4x12), Tonestack had a noticeable silence between patch changes which was unacceptable.

Here's a great example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3iXHURkwEw

Tourniquet
Expert

Post by Tourniquet » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:18 pm

niallobrien wrote:I'm sorry, but for hi-gain stuff, it's difficult to beat Bias FX (and Bias). Tonestack comes close, but as I wanted to use my iPad as my live amp rig with a midi pedal board (Magnum44 poweramp into Marshall 4x12), Tonestack had a noticeable silence between patch changes which was unacceptable.

Here's a great example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3iXHURkwEw
I completely agree, except for Tonestack coming close. If it does, I've never been able to dial in a thrash tone with Tonestack, Amplitude, garageband, THM, Ampkit. JamUp was the only one before Bias I could get a thrash tone out of with little to no work. Amp one is prob. the only other app that I can achieve a thrashier tone.

Maybe it's possible to get metal out of Tonestack and THM, I love both of those. They do sound amazing. Especially the FX in Tonestack. But, with as easy as it is to dial in the tones I need in Bias FX, I don't want to screw around with my other apps, because it takes too long, and the result is a pretty cheesy metal tone. I'm talkin real metal, so ya, maybe other apps can get the "other" meetal sound. But non as far as I can tweak match Bias FX/Amp. Positive Grid has nailed this part.

niallobrien

Post by niallobrien » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:59 pm

I completely agree. At the time I was trying Tonestack, I was going for a Karnivool / Dead Letter Circus kinda tone (so lots of ambient effects, and hi-gain patches), but as I said, the noticeable gap when MIDI channel switching meant I couldn't use it for live purposes. Bias FX is perfect in this scenario; I've a modded FCB1010 floorboard (with the UNO chip) and basically have a live rig that can compete with an Axe FX or a Kemper for a fraction of the price. I must make a video on my setup sometime. Unfortunately there's a bug in Bias FX which doesn't allow me to use it much like most use an Axe FX (a signal split, one split with cab emulation to go to front of house, the other split without cab emulation to go into a poweramp & cab on stage). Details of that particular bug can be found here: https://youtu.be/-dIutCh4hDw
So I'm the meantime I just run the rig into a 4x12 on stage a mic that (typical setup) for front of house.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:38 am

If you have the sound you like, then just commit and record it. I spent a lot of time mucking around with recording bare guitar, then trying to apply affects after. If you can get a good sound to start, just go with it. It's no easier to try and get it afterwards.

niallobrien

Post by niallobrien » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:22 pm

Agreed, learning to trust your instinct and commit to a sound is a skill in of itself.