iVCS3 as an AU & Bounce in Place

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

JRSIV
Expert

iVCS3 as an AU & Bounce in Place

Post by JRSIV » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:51 am

Love the update to AU on iVCS3's modules. I just had to load up an envelope filter and an Lyra organ for some "Won't Get Fooled Again" style messing round.

I have one question: I'm not a MIDI expert by far but use it, and certainly have more & more since the MIDI overhaul to Auria Pro. Anyway I recorded some of the organ through iVCS3 envelope on a MIDI track using the Auria Lyra organ played with the floating keys and the envelope as an AU effect. It recorded the MIDI notes fine, plays back fine, but when I tried to do a Bounce in Place to get an audio file of it the "Bounce in Place" is not selectable (in faded grey).

I've used the feature several times with no problems on other MIDI stuff, with similar set up of Lyra instrument and an AU or AudioBus effect. I copied the MIDI region to another MIDI track to do some testing on other instruments/effects, so tried a PhaseMaker piano AU with Timeless 2 as an effect, but same thing, couldn't bounce it in place either. Did I mess something up? Am I forgetting something simple? Since the VCS is a new AU is this a bug? But the PhaseMaker/Timeless 2 track wouldn't bounce in place either...I tried closing & reopening Auria from the app drawer & rebooting my Air 2 (on iOS 10.2 by the way) still no bounce in place on any of the MIDI tracks...

Any insight is appreciated...
iVCS3InAuria.png
JRSIV's Studio V uses Auria Pro v2.33 on an iPad Air 5 (2022) 256GB w/iPadOS 16.3
Other gear includes: Tascam US-2x2 interface, Behringer UMC404HD interface, TC Electronics SOLO, Sony MDR-7506 headphones

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: iVCS3 as an AU & Bounce in Place

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:15 am

Lyra samples are a sound source just like iVCS3. They are not effects. iVCS3 can be loaded as an effect. If you want to combine 2 sound sources using Bounce in Place, first bounce in place the Lyra sample then insert iVCS3 to the new waveform and bounce in place again now the two will be combined but only if iVCS3 is loaded as an effect but this is not that easy with self modulating synths. The midi notes that you recorded with the sound you wanted had nothing to do with the sound. Midi notes are only data and contain now sound they just trigger a sample or synth. You can take those same midi notes and insert whatever midi sound source you want and the midi data remains the same. Bouncing in place is nothing more than a mixdown. So I would suggest copying the same midi notes to another track and insert iVCS3 on the copy track, bounce that track in place and now mixdown the 2 tracks into one. Cheers and hope that helps

JRSIV
Expert

Re: iVCS3 as an AU & Bounce in Place

Post by JRSIV » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:08 pm

Okay I'm a dumbass.

In the edit view I was selecting the REGION of the MIDI track and not the actual track (area with mute, solo, track name, etc)... that's why Bounce in Place was greyed out. Now it works fine.

See, the solution to most problems is usually the simplest (Occam's Razor), we just complicate things. I won't make that mistake again at least...and I was thinking of backing up & doing a reinstall...whew...

Thats Double A for the help...
JRSIV's Studio V uses Auria Pro v2.33 on an iPad Air 5 (2022) 256GB w/iPadOS 16.3
Other gear includes: Tascam US-2x2 interface, Behringer UMC404HD interface, TC Electronics SOLO, Sony MDR-7506 headphones