Sampletank multitimbral

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Trentsongs
Expert

Sampletank multitimbral

Post by Trentsongs » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:39 am

Sampletank advertises itself as "8-part multi-timbral". Does that mean it is possible for Auria to send midi to multiple sounds/tracks/parts in Sampletank and record and playback their individual sounds simultaneously, preferably to separate Auria tracks?

Denzkps
Expert

Re: Sampletank multitimbral

Post by Denzkps » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:40 am

Yes but only from audiobus
You can make midi track in Auria and send output to SampleTank in live mode.
In SampleTank choose midi channel

Savage1969

Post by Savage1969 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:11 pm

From my experience the multi (in live mode) is layers and splits only. The audio output routing of ST is not configurable, only stereo, so output will be combined audio to a single track. You can send midi to multiple sounds using the split feature, but there is no way to record individual voicings of the multi to separate tracks on the fly. You would have to freeze/bounce as needed. This is a limitation of ST and not Auria.

Bottom line is that you can send multiple channel midi to ST but it does not have multiple audio output routing. Everything in your question can be done except record/playback to separate tracks (without using Audiobus).

Hope this helps.

Trentsongs
Expert

Post by Trentsongs » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:57 pm

Understood. Thank you.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:44 pm

Here is a new video I made on this topic because there is a way to do this without Audiobus and it's been requested by othere users before. So here is the link and hope this helps. Cheers.

https://youtu.be/JhaJ_0mqQdk

Denzkps
Expert

Post by Denzkps » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:23 am

[*]When you use audiobus and live mode in SampleTank you can hear and record all instruments
For example in American acoustic pack you have minor and major chords for strumming
And you can make one midi track for minor and another for major and record both in audio track
Sometime when use SampleTank from IAA you will have CPU overloud
Attachments
IMG_0039.JPG

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:51 am

Postby Denzkps » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:23 pm

[*]When you use audiobus and live mode in SampleTank you can hear and record all instruments
For example in American acoustic pack you have minor and major chords for strumming
And you can make one midi track for minor and another for major and record both in audio track
Sometime when use SampleTank from IAA you will have CPU overloud

My method allows for as many tracks you want to record at once on any midi channel. If you watch the video you will see that the cpu is barely moving using Sampletank and AirPly which requires cpu too. Cheers.

Trentsongs
Expert

Post by Trentsongs » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:08 pm

Anthony Alves wrote:Here is a new video I made on this topic because there is a way to do this without Audiobus and it's been requested by othere users before. So here is the link and hope this helps. Cheers.

https://youtu.be/JhaJ_0mqQdk
Excellent tutorial and very much appreciated! However, what I was hoping for was the ability to play several different sounds on different channels with Sampletank (or whatever) simultaneously. I'd like to hear the sounds selected playing together in context as the arrangement is developing. I'm learning that's just not possible, ST would have to be an AU plugin with multiple instances.

I don't get ST's point for stating 8 parts are available, it's more like 8 sounds can be placed in a quick-access list already assigned to midi channels. I don't see that as multitimbral.

Fortunately, I tend to find Auria's built in synths and Lyra to be very useable.

But regarding your tutorial, if I render a midi track to audio as you did, does it matter which synth app is active in the channel strip? In other words, after you recorded midi using ST could you have switched to iSEM and then rendered?

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:16 am

That is correct once you lay in your midi notes or draw them in, they can play back to whatever app you want as they are just midi notes and contain no audio. You can direct those midi notes and midi data to any iOS app running in the background using Core Midi or you can plug in an app using the midi instrument drop down list if the app appears there. You can also plug in Lyra, FabFilter One and Twin2. You can then Bounce those tracks in place to Audio. You can also direct those midi tracks to external midi harware. In my studio I regularly send AuriaPros midi tracks to apps and 3 DaveSmith Morfo x4, Moog Sub37, Arturia Minibrute, Yamaha B1 acoustic piano with optical midi and Korg Minilogue as well as CC data for my Lexicon PCM92 at the same time. In the video I lay the notes in using AuriaPros midi control keyboard and Sampletank was just the sound source. I could have used any sound source I wanted. As far as playing 8 midi channels at once that is simply not a practical way to record midi nor is it even possible. First question would be how would one person phisically play 8 parts of midi on 8 different midi channels at the same time with only two hands?. Not possible. Only a sequencer that has already been programmed with all the midi note data can play back that way. AuriaPro is exactly that, a sequencer that you lay in the midi parts and they playback on 16 midi channels. SampleTank is an 8 part midi app or module in the hardware form. Unlike iSem which is a poly synth but provides only one sound at a time from the synth. So you would need 8 instances of iSem inserted into 8 tracks vua AU3 plugin to get the same results except I've tested this and 8 iSem AU3 plugged in chokes AuriaPros CPU if you try to record them all. And you would still not be able to play all 8 of those synths at the same time either. So on that test an app like Sampletank is very CPU friendly if run in the background under core midi and not as an IAA plugin. . Hope this helps. Cheers.

Here is the only way to do this live without a sequenced song for creating 8 parts at once without using midi triggers to trigger loops
- 8 midi contolers all on seperate midi channels playing a different sound
8 people playing those controlers
4 people playing the controlers in a split keyboard setup
Or 1 person playing a controller split in 8 zones with each zone on a seoerate midi ch and sound and one heck
of an amazing keyboard player.

Rudo
Expert

Post by Rudo » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:00 pm

In sampletank pro you can use 8 different midichannels in sampletank. You have to put sampletank in livemode. In midicontrole in auria pro you can select the midichannel and sampletank to choose the instrument you want in the setup you made in sampletank. But you can use only one multi setup per song.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:46 am

Has anyone managed to record the American Acoustic Pack in SampleTank while it is being drive by MIDI from Auria?

I get the CPU spiking like mad when I try and do this and Auria freezes for a couple of minutes. This is when doing Bounce in Place or when trying to live record from one track to another. Had to go to Cubasis in the end, which worked OK.

Rudo
Expert

Post by Rudo » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:36 am

richardyot wrote:Has anyone managed to record the American Acoustic Pack in SampleTank while it is being drive by MIDI from Auria?

I get the CPU spiking like mad when I try and do this and Auria freezes for a couple of minutes. This is when doing Bounce in Place or when trying to live record from one track to another. Had to go to Cubasis in the end, which worked OK.
Midi is no problem here. I use iPad air2. Didn't record to audio yet.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:18 pm

Rudo wrote:
richardyot wrote:Has anyone managed to record the American Acoustic Pack in SampleTank while it is being drive by MIDI from Auria?

Midi is no problem here. I use iPad air2. Didn't record to audio yet.
MIDI is no problem for me either, but recording or mixing down is impossible.

Denzkps
Expert

Post by Denzkps » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:17 am

Try to use audiobus it will work!
I had the same problem

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:53 am

Steps to get it to work:

set MIDI track to none in the instrument slot, but set the MIDI send to Sampletank, then launch Audiobus with Sampletank as the input and Auria as the output and you can record the audio. It still required a couple of restarts of the apps to get the CPU spikes under control but it worked.

Not sure why the IAA is so glitchy, and hard to know which app is the culprit. I guess that the new Sampletank is much more CPU intensive than previously.