iPad Pro which one for auria pro?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Lonelypunk
Expert

iPad Pro which one for auria pro?

Post by Lonelypunk » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:03 am

Hi people :-) I'm after some advice regarding choosing an iPad to run auria pro. After my laptop recently packed up and after lots of research and discovering auria pro I've decided to jump on the iOS band wagon.

I'm struggling to find any decent info on the two iPad Pro models (9.7 and 12.9) for music production. I really like the smaller one but what is putting me off is that it has half the RAM the bigger one has. The 9.7 has 2gb and the 12.9 has 4gb. I read a post that said it doesn't make much difference as the ram is used up on the bigger screen and it's the a9 chip that counts but I'm not fully convinced and coming from a pc background I know what a difference doubling the ram makes.

Can anyone tell me is the 9.7 up to running auria with external apps e.g. sampletank and amplitude in the background ok and is it going to be ok for a few years being the latest model or should I just go for the bigger one?

I prefer the smaller size for portability but if I'm going to spend all that money to find out it's too slow when the next auria update or whatever is released I'd rather get the bigger one if that makes sense.

Thanks for any help I know this has been covered a little in some forums but I couldn't find a solid answer as to how it performs for music production.

I'm planning on using auria for recording guitar and vocals and for producing dub and techno and drum and bass..

I'm also hoping there is a way to automate some of my guitar effects for playing live in auria but that's probably a bit of long shot I'm guessing...

cheers :-)

supanorton
Expert

Re: iPad Pro which one for auria pro?

Post by supanorton » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:42 am

I haven't heard any complaints or regrets from folks who have the 12.9. I'm not much of a tech person, but it doesn't seem to make sense that you'd need 2 Gs of RAM for two inches of real estate.

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:49 am

I have the 9.7" Pro, and up to now, it has been a smooth exoerience. I chose it precisely because of the size, since here in Brazil it costs almost as much as the bigger one.

All the best!

sch
Expert

Post by sch » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:50 am

I moved to the 12.9 Pro and have never been happier. The additional screen real estate is the main plus for me, especially with Auria Pro, which uses it beautifully. You see so much more of the mixer, and you have room to move plug-ins around on the screen, which is very useful, as is using Pro Q2 in full-screen mode. (Hopefully, we'll see other devs take advantage of the larger screen too.)

Performance-wise, (and coming from an Air 1), WOW! I also concur that the additional 2GB RAM is not simply to run the larger display. My only regret was getting the 128GB rather than the 256GB.

Hope this helps a bit!

Lonelypunk
Expert

Post by Lonelypunk » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:52 pm

Thanks for your replies!

Sch did you have the 9.7 iPad pro before you moved? Could you notice any difference in them other than the screen size? Also mate what's the speakers like? Wondering if you can hear any bass on them to make getting ideas down easier when your away from your monitors..

sch
Expert

Post by sch » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:56 pm

Lonelypunk wrote:Thanks for your replies!

Sch did you have the 9.7 iPad pro before you moved? Could you notice any difference in them other than the screen size? Also mate what's the speakers like? Wondering if you can hear any bass on them to make getting ideas down easier when your away from your monitors..
No, I moved from an Air 1, so I'm not able to offer any comparative thoughts.

The speakers, while not remotely close to offering even cheap studio monitor performance, are a quantum leap over previous iPads. Personally, I virtually always have headphones on.

One other 'con' to the big guy is that Apple have yet to write a version of iOS that uses the Pro's resolution for the desktop etc. Currently, the desktop et al is simply blown up, so rather than having the same sized icons as the 9.7" models, the icons/spacing etc are much larger, using up the extra space astonishingly inefficiently! It's only in certain apps, of which Auria is a perfect example, that the larger screen and resolution really shine.

Good luck with your decision. :)

Lonelypunk
Expert

Post by Lonelypunk » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:12 am

Thanks for the advice :-) yeah I would rarely use the onboard speakers but sometimes I'm in my work van and a bass line comes into my head and just want to get it down quick and also sometimes want to show my band something I've been working on when I can't plug it in.

I'm still undecided as of yet, has anyone else had any experience with both pro's? I'm kind of leaning towards the smaller one I think just worried about the difference in RAM..

Denzkps
Expert

Post by Denzkps » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:08 pm

Not only RAM
But and CPU better then pro 9.7
If you want work with Auria IPad pro 12.9 will be better)

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:07 am

I have the 12.9 size and its incredible. Really. Its so fast with incredibly smooth operation. I've been telling people that out of all the tech stuff I've ever purchased (and I've purchased a ton), this is the nicest one. It helps tremendously with Auria Pro regarding screen size, speed and overall performance.

PeterDoubt

Post by PeterDoubt » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:46 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good case for the larger one?

sch
Expert

Post by sch » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:44 pm

PeterDoubt wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions on a good case for the larger one?
I've used the Otterbox Defender cases for all my iPads and can't say enough good about them. The cover of the 12.9 model even has a slot for the Apple Pencil, as well as the 2-position stand built in. Def max protection.

maximus

Post by maximus » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:45 am

I haven't tried the 9.7 but can confirm as others have that the 12.9 is pretty flawless with Auria.

I bought a cheap case from amazon not expecting it to be any good or last long, but I've been pretty surprised by it , I cant fault it at all, Dont bother spending lots on a case this one is totally fine
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00W4ZLZP8/