Parallel Chs... any closer?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

sch
Expert

Parallel Chs... any closer?

Post by sch » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:19 pm

Hey @Rim, just wondering if a simple parallel channel function is close to being worked on? Would love the simplicity that Reason now offers: left-click on a channel strip and select "Create Parallel Channel"... done!

Perfect for adding a channel for separate processing the LF content, another for the HF, another for compression and perhaps one for efx processing. Mix to taste, sum and serve!

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Parallel Chs... any closer?

Post by Anthony Alves » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:47 pm

sch wrote:Hey @Rim, just wondering if a simple parallel channel function is close to being worked on? Would love the simplicity that Reason now offers: left-click on a channel strip and select "Create Parallel Channel"... done!

Perfect for adding a channel for separate processing the LF content, another for the HF, another for compression and perhaps one for efx processing. Mix to taste, sum and serve!
This feature is already available in AuriaPro and its called the Bussing system. The buss channels allow you to properly parrallel compress, parrallel reverb,effects,HPF,LPF ect...I am crurrently relasing a tutorial video on this exact subject. Cheers and good luck.

sch
Expert

Post by sch » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:59 pm

Hey Anthony, thanks for your reply... yeah, I know I can kinda-sorta do this with the busses, but it still has the anomalous Solo behaviour which just makes it bloody annoying to use properly. Hoping for a more elegant solution.

Looking forward to more videos from you though, my friend!

Edit: Would like to see it implemented so you could choose a track (on the mixer page), and bring up a pop-up to 'Create Parallel Channel'. This would automatically create an adjacent empty track with it's input multed from the target track.

BennieTonini
Expert

Post by BennieTonini » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:16 am

Where can we find this video please?

Oscar South

Post by Oscar South » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:33 am

sch wrote:Hey Anthony, thanks for your reply... yeah, I know I can kinda-sorta do this with the busses, but it still has the anomalous Solo behaviour which just makes it bloody annoying to use properly. Hoping for a more elegant solution.

Looking forward to more videos from you though, my friend!

Edit: Would like to see it implemented so you could choose a track (on the mixer page), and bring up a pop-up to 'Create Parallel Channel'. This would automatically create an adjacent empty track with it's input multed from the target track.
Could you just route the bus channels into a subgroup?

sch
Expert

Post by sch » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:03 pm

Oscar South wrote:Could you just route the bus channels into a subgroup?
Sure, eventually I do end up with the parallels summed to a subgroup. Often I have up to 4 additional parallel channels processing something like a kick or snare or bass. I sub these to a bus and use a channel strip to control the volume and potentially processing the cumulative parallels for mixing with the original onto a subgroup.

However, what my original post refers to is the present incomplete method for doing this. There is no way (that I know) of creating a mixer channel whose input can be simply multed to another channel/track. You end up with an unnecessary editor audio track, even though you are not creating additional audio.

One of the reasons I bought Auria the moment it was available is that it offered me the closest mixing paradigm that I grew up with using hardware consoles for FOH sound and studio engineering. Similarly, this is why my desktop DAW is Reason 9, with its superb recreation of the SSL 9000 mixer. It allows one to create parallel channels as I would on a real hardware mixer, by splitting the input to the channel strip and patching the additional output(s) to adjacent mixer channel strips.

Auria presently does not allow me to split the channel input, only re-direct the output to a bus to then use as an input on an added empty audio track (and associated channel strip). I lose the ability to have the original input channel directed to the main LR or a subgroup. (I also now have an additional audio track in the editor taking up useless screen real estate. Parallel channels have no need to store audio unless perhaps this is needed for track freezing.)

I'm looking forward to Anthony's upcoming video to see if there is something fundamental I'm missing, but, man, I dearly wish this function was as painless and comprehensive as the Propellerhead solution which is both simple and highly usable.

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:14 pm

Interesting...

BennieTonini
Expert

Post by BennieTonini » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:56 am

Anthony Alves wrote:
This feature is already available in AuriaPro and its called the Bussing system. The buss channels allow you to properly parrallel compress, parrallel reverb,effects,HPF,LPF ect...I am crurrently relasing a tutorial video on this exact subject. Cheers and good luck.
Hello mister Anthony Alves,
Where can we find your tutorial about this parallel processing exactly please? I know how it's done but maybe you have a better idea about it so I'm not curious! :mrgreen:

DaveB
Expert

Post by DaveB » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:32 pm

Example routing, correct me if I'm wrong please. Say I want to run a parallel compressed kick track.

1. Create 3 new tracks. We will call these tracks 1,2 & 3.
1. Record and/or import a Kick Drum on track 1
2. Set the output of Track 1 to both Bus 1 & Bus 2.
3. Set the input of Track 2 to Bus 1 & the input of Track 3 to Bus 2.
4. Track 2 can now be you direct signal and Track 3 your parallel comp signal.
5. Set outputs of Tracks 2 & 3 to a subgroup or the main out.

sch
Expert

Post by sch » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:50 pm

DaveB wrote:Example routing, correct me if I'm wrong please. Say I want to run a parallel compressed kick track.

1. Create 3 new tracks. We will call these tracks 1,2 & 3.
1. Record and/or import a Kick Drum on track 1
2. Set the output of Track 1 to both Bus 1 & Bus 2.
3. Set the input of Track 2 to Bus 1 & the input of Track 3 to Bus 2.
4. Track 2 can now be you direct signal and Track 3 your parallel comp signal.
5. Set outputs of Tracks 2 & 3 to a subgroup or the main out.
This does work, but it's sloppy... why do I have to have the original mixer channel doing nothing but sending to the busses? It should be done by the original channel sending a direct out (pre-fade mult copy) to the bus(ses) and retain the original signal out to the subgroup/main LR outputs. This is then mixed together with the additional parallel channels to a summing bus for overall control/processing and then to the subgroups etc.

DaveB
Expert

Post by DaveB » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:27 pm

That sounds pretty convoluted too, plus you can't do that. I'll make do with what we have for now. Hell, Cubasis doesn't even have sub groups or buses so it could be worse.