Audio Tracks Flatline or Disappear

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

indratgj
Expert

Audio Tracks Flatline or Disappear

Post by indratgj » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:51 am

I realize that this is a fairly rare problem, but it does still occur (for me anyway).

Symptom 1: Last night will doing a great deal of editing, a banjo track started to "flatline" when I did a "pinch" so that we could see the whole track on one screen.

Symptom 2: suddenly a sound like a cymbal crashing appeared on the banjo track, out of time, randomly, and very loud. I do have a hi-hat in the project as a click track, but it is on a completely different track.

Symptom 3: when trying to load from previous snapshots, some tracks would disappear, with the message "track missing" and a flat line where the track should be.

I assume the project somehow got corrupted. I tried deleting the Overview Data folder, and letting the project rebuild it. Didn't seem to help.

After extensive research here on the forum, it looks like some folks have had success by creating a brand new project, and then exporting all of the tracks from the corrupt project into the new project. Is that what experts here would recommend? Any other recommendations?

Also, am I correct in understanding that the "Project Clean-Up" feature is no longer a fixed setting that is either automatic, or not? Instead it seems to have been moved to a separate button, so you have to intentionally do it.

What do people recommend about using "Condense Regions" and "Project Clean-Up." From what I've read here, they seem a little dangerous.

Sorry for being so long-winded, but thanks in advance.

Travis
iPad Pro 12.9” Gen 5, iOS v.15,5, Auria Pro, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Presonus HP6, DrumPerfect Pro

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Audio Tracks Flatline or Disappear

Post by Rim » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:02 am

It's possible to get missing audio in snapshots if the audio that was used in that snapshot is no longer there in the current project. This can happen if you use Condense Regions, Project Cleanup, or if you manually deleted the audio files with an external program. For important projects, I recommend getting a USB drive or WiFi drive and making regular backups.

Rim

indratgj
Expert

Re: Audio Tracks Flatline or Disappear

Post by indratgj » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:44 am

Rim,

Thanks. I was able to recover the corrupted projects by creating a new project and copying all of the tracks from the old to the new project using Dropbox and the Import File command. Seems to have worked fine.

I have bought a Leef iBridge, and will take your advice about using this device for frequent backups.

Thanks again.
iPad Pro 12.9” Gen 5, iOS v.15,5, Auria Pro, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Presonus HP6, DrumPerfect Pro