WAV or M4a recorded?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Scardanelli

WAV or M4a recorded?

Post by Scardanelli » Sun May 15, 2016 5:04 pm

Hi all,

I recently purchased Auria Pro, great app of course.

I'd like clarification on one point. No-where in the spec does it mention that the recorded files are wavs - merely that one can choose the sample rate. Output can be wav of course, but I am a little suspicious that nothing is stated in the blurb! Normally manufacturers are keen to state the technical prowess of their products, but, as I received no reply from Harmonic Dog with the same question regarding their multitrack DAW, I am wondering if there's a conspiracy of silence on this issue? Do, or can, iPads record uncompressed audio?

So, please Mr Buntinas, tell me, does Auria Pro RECORD the audio in wav format, or is it a compressed M4a format dictated by the iPad itself?

Ta!
Simon

levispeights
Expert

Re: WAV or M4a recorded?

Post by levispeights » Sun May 15, 2016 8:35 pm

Simon,
If you look into the project folders, the individual recorded files are WAV files.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Sun May 15, 2016 9:33 pm

Auria and MultiTrack DAW both record .wav files.

acaonweb
Expert

Post by acaonweb » Mon May 16, 2016 1:45 am

Scardanelli wrote:Hi all,

I recently purchased Auria Pro, great app of course.

I'd like clarification on one point. No-where in the spec does it mention that the recorded files are wavs - merely that one can choose the sample rate. Output can be wav of course, but I am a little suspicious that nothing is stated in the blurb! Normally manufacturers are keen to state the technical prowess of their products, but, as I received no reply from Harmonic Dog with the same question regarding their multitrack DAW, I am wondering if there's a conspiracy of silence on this issue? Do, or can, iPads record uncompressed audio?

So, please Mr Buntinas, tell me, does Auria Pro RECORD the audio in wav format, or is it a compressed M4a format dictated by the iPad itself?

Ta!
Simon
Auria works with wav files, absolutely... no compressed files are used.
iPad Air Pro 11 iOS 16.3 WiFi 512 Giga, Scarlett Focusrite 18i8
http://mustek.bandcamp.com

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue May 17, 2016 7:38 am

Auria has always used uncompressed 24-bit WAV for its native recording format.

Rim

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Tue May 17, 2016 10:19 am

It would actually be odd for anyone making recording software to record directly to a compressed format like M4a. The only time it would make sense would be on a severely restricted system with insufficient disk. You are not only losing fidelity, but running the recording through yet another CPU consuming process, by compressing it. They might give you the option to do it if you really wanted to, but be pretty odd to do it by default, or not provide a WAV file.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed May 18, 2016 7:34 am

In fact, it's quite difficult to make a DAW which uses compressed files as its native format. Some older hardware-based DAWs used to do that, but they got away with it because they had rudimentary editing capabilities. Doing any serious multitrack editing is a challenge with compressed files because compression plays havoc on synchronization.

Rim