Using Kymatica AUM to create universal onscreen keyboard

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

dj8

Using Kymatica AUM to create universal onscreen keyboard

Post by dj8 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:08 am

I’ve been a little down about not having an onscreen keyboard w/ Auria Pro for a while now :) . (Still hoping this will be added in Auria soon. :D )

But, until then, I think I have a workaround to use. Was able to patch AUM with Audiobus and Auria Pro. With this, can add multiple synths, use AUM as the onscreen keyboard, while simultaneously recording midi and audio in Auria Pro! Makes it very easy to switch between synths and other midi instruments while working in Auria Pro.

I haven’t had a chance to see I this can be also used to record midi and audio at the same time without having to solo in the audio in Auria Pro. Will have time to check that out tonight/tomorrow. Or maybe someone else will get to it first.

Screenshots attached... My apologies if too many of them. I always like a lot of info for stuff like this, not sure if that applies in this case or not.

Hoping some of you can confirm that this is working for you also.
Attachments
IMG_11.png
IMG_10.png
IMG_9.png
IMG_8.png
IMG_7.png
IMG_6.png
IMG_5.png
IMG_4.png
IMG_3.png
IMG_2.png
IMG_1.png

kaikoo
Expert

Re: Using Kymatica AUM to create universal onscreen keyboard

Post by kaikoo » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:28 am

krzycrs wrote:
kaikoo wrote:Wonderful news! Awesome.
Nice surprise, @kaikoo, seeing you here, I'm sure this will be the right place for you (:
I have been playing a lot with Modstep and AUM/AUs. The fact is Auria is still the best host for AUM IAA slots.

Just send Auria subgroup 1-8 generator to the AUM insert slot, use Auria as an instrument generators. We can create more subgroups to AUM and controlled and mixed with AUM onboard keyboard to Mersenne (with its arp) on Auira midi page IAA slot and play other apps with StepPolyArp.

In my opinion, Auria is the best host and best Fabfilter chain for sending midi clock and data and goes pretty well with AUM mixing.

For this thread, My setup is very different! I don't use IAA input slots for apps, I use Auria subgroup for this purpose. Auria has better management as a DAW for syncing apps, then let the AUM be an efficient tool for keyboard playing and recording midi datum and audios. You can make your own chaining, but the idea is simple. There are lots heat in Audiobus forum, but the public were ignoring what the Auria is capable of. So try this setup shown on the photos linked here, hoping make sense to you guys. Of coursem we can add Fugue Machine and Modstep to the equation, but the main idea is to marry AUM to Auria at this moment! :lol:
Attachments
786E3609-FDB8-4895-9639-82FCD280D99B.JPG
820D3CCF-CB7A-40A1-AF37-00F1D0289EE7.JPG
Last edited by kaikoo on Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaikoo
Expert

Post by kaikoo » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:39 am

I guess the time is arriving for Auria to have an universal onboard keyboard for apps and AU units.

:D
Last edited by kaikoo on Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaikoo
Expert

Post by kaikoo » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:28 pm

Continue my post,

Make sure Mersenne target to Auria on channel 1 in its own setting. StepPolyArp out and sync to Auria on channel 1 too.
So they both listen to Auria and receive clock from Auria. Thus AUM keyboard can send midi message to Auria to play Auria. Also, the midi track 1 and midi track3 of channel strip, ticking channel 1 and output to AUM. So now you have an AUM keyboard and mixing tools for my setup on those photos above to play Auria well.
Attachments
EC0A3DD9-C510-489A-BF5B-7FC6D2E4BB13.JPG
101D0002-3437-4294-A50C-EBA108688C8D.JPG
DA540701-6BF5-4043-AF30-9C52D25132DB.JPG

Hansson

Post by Hansson » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:45 pm

this was a bit overwhelming :) iam going to try it when i get home, but could you please explain it one more time :)
will this setup take advantage of LINK sync in AUM ?
does the transport contol show up in AUM ? from where are you controlling playback ?

i love the idea och having AUM and Auria working togehter. maybe throw modstep in the mix also and of course chordion.
:P :P :P

kaikoo
Expert

Post by kaikoo » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:19 am

Hansson wrote:this was a bit overwhelming :) iam going to try it when i get home, but could you please explain it one more time :)
will this setup take advantage of LINK sync in AUM ?
does the transport contol show up in AUM ? from where are you controlling playback ?

i love the idea och having AUM and Auria working togehter. maybe throw modstep in the mix also and of course chordion.
:P :P :P
Hi, I have no idea which person you are talking to, So I do it in simplest form to play StepPolyArp again here.

Remember, if you are using more than one AU synth in AUM, you need Midiflow to create virtual midi channels to split midi channels, you can find how-to in Audiobus forum for Midiflow work with AUM. So that Modstep can have a play with AUM. If you intend to remap AUM keyboard notes on different channels, you also need Midiflow for that purpose.

In here, I just use Auria Fabfilter One and Lyra on two of midi tracks with two subgroup link to AUM. You can mix the two with one AUM onboard keyboard to play And record StepPolyArp midi to Auria. I think this time the photos are better represent what I was talked about. You do not need Ableton Link. I don't find Link to be useful in this topic. Give it a try, simple.
Attachments
A58A3D2E-9D71-4BCE-9A61-3D21898842D4.JPG
471BB808-3867-480F-870E-1D1F48AAF683.JPG
20097781-641A-45D5-AB48-840E0053B6BC.JPG
D696A0D0-E48E-46DD-9503-8C48B8847013.JPG

krzycrs
Expert

Post by krzycrs » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:04 pm

@dj8 with some headwrapping done, thanks and @kaikoo's approach, an attempt for an integrated looping environment, these were the steps involved:

Audiobus, Aum, Auria Pro, Thumbjam, Firo, Fugue Machine, Loopy HD

Open Audiobus, launch Aum in the output.
In Aum create a channel and for input select Auria Pro Sub 1.
In Auria create a new project, add a midi track, tap the red puck to arm,
and below tap output and select Subgroup 1.

Back in Audiobus create a new row, and for input select Aum Port 1.
for output Loopy HD. Now back in Aum on it's channel output select
Loopy too. Create another channel, again add Loopy in the Output,
and for input select Auria Pro Sub 2.

Create a third channel in Aum, select Loopy HD (Main Output) for input
mute and rec. arm it. In Audiobus create a third row, with Auria Pro
for Output, and Aum Port 2 for input, go to Auria and in the AB channel
select Subgroup 2 as output.

Back in Audiobus insert Thumbjam as input in the first row, in Aum
a fourth channel with Thumbjam has been created, select Auria Pro for
it's output. In Audiobus next to Thumbjam add Firo and Fugue Machine,
delete their channels in Aum.

Create an empty midi track in Auria, arm it, tap FX and select 'all' in the
Input port. Open Aum Keyboard, tap the wrench and select Auria Pro
as destination.

Open Aum Midi Route, add Fiddlewax MIDI Source and Fugue Machine
MIDI Out to the orange arrow going to Auria. Do the same down in the
Thumbjam row (open Thumbjam to activate).

In case you go the midiflow route, start it's preset, and in Aum's Midi
Routing point the Keyboard and the other two to MF1, as well as to
Thumbjam, so you can select midi channels in Fugue Machine and Firo.

Save your session in Audiobus, Aum and Auria.

As for the workflow, in Aum channel 1 and 2 you have Auria's piano and Thumbjam sent to Loopy, meaning when you press record in Loopy you need to have the third channel muted, which is the main return. To record Loopy loops in Aum, and overdub, unmute this channel and mute the first two. All midi gets recorded in Auria Pro as well.

http://preset.audiob.us/btiSu6LojxRbZ99
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xtrqtln04f4g8 ... mproj?dl=0

posted here: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/1242 ... eas#latest

Greetings, crs

dj8

Post by dj8 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:10 pm

Sorry for the delay in posting again to this thread. I’ve been trying to write some music using Auria and Cubasis and a few days slipped by... :D

Great info and advice re: other routing/usage for AUM. What a tremendous app. And coupled up w/ Auria... Amazing!

I probably should have added steps for creating the onscreen keyboard for Auria Pro w/ AUM. I think it’s pretty straight forward w/ the screenshots above. If anyone is stumped, I’d suggest:

1. Set up the AudioBus (those screenshots first).
2. Set up AUM screenshots next.
3. Set up Auria Pro screenshots next.
4. Set up/double-check the midi settings for the synth apps you’re using.
5. Patiently go through steps 1-4 to look for anything that’s misrouted/set incorrectly.

Still hoping that this will all be resolved with a universal keyboard in Auria soon.

dj8

Post by dj8 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:33 pm

@krzycrs, you probably already noticed this: the routing I posted above does allow for recording a part’s MIDI and audio simultaneously without having to solo it in Auria Pro. Pretty sweet!!

krzycrs
Expert

Post by krzycrs » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:32 am

@dj8 yeah, I like the modular aspects, moving between the surfaces. Cheers, crs